• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014 Postseason |OT| Where Chokes Happen™

Fox318

iSiWLKTtNZFTx.gif

It's the extra 1% that's the most important

mMj39gq.jpg

Parch

I take pleasure in knowing that there were die-hard Royal fans who got disgusted and left early. You dun goofed.

It’s fine to be against giving up outs. In general, good hitters shouldn’t bunt, and teams shouldn’t be playing for one run too often early in games. But in late game situations where one run is paramount, bunting can often be the correct play, and the don’t-bunt-ever reaction can be just as incorrect as the bunt-always fanaticism.
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/so-about-all-those-bunts/

I was wrong about the odds of scoring after bunting a guy over from 1st to 2nd but I guess it's a small enough drop that a bad hitter + the possibility the defense screws up the play makes it a reasonable play when one run wins the game.

Giants lineup tonight:
Blanco, G, CF - - - - - - - -
Panik, J, 2B - - - - - - - -
Posey, B, C - - - - - - - -
Sandoval, P, 3B - - - - - - - -
Pence, H, RF - - - - - - - -
Belt, B, 1B - - - - - - - -
Crawford, B, SS - - - - - - - -
Ishikawa, T, LF - - - - - - - -
Bumgarner, M, P - - - - - - - -

Askani

Ugh... I really don't like the idea of buying puppies. There are enough dogs dying in shelters as it is.

Side note: the guy called into a radio show this morning on my commute. He was on 810...or 610...or one of the AM 10s. Anyway, he said his gf works with animals and she loves Corgis (hence the picture), but they looking towards actually getting a shelter pet. Wether or not that's actually true remains to be seen.

Side note: the guy called into a radio show this morning on my commute. He was on 810...or 610...or one of the AM 10s. Anyway, he said his gf works with animals and she loves Corgis, but they looking towards actually getting a shelter pet.

Awesome then. I guess it's just poor phrasing. Good for them. Also, I agree that bunting is not necessarily bad when you have a team of decent base-runners without much in the way of power hitting. What gets me is when managers do that with the wrong personnel... which Mattingly was really guilty of last year.

The FCC just gave the NFL the middle finger and said they can't do that silly ass blackout if the game's tickets aren't sold out thing anymore.

Now can they remove the territorial MLB blackouts so I can finally rid of cable and watch the Braves on MLB.TV?

Askani

The FCC just gave the NFL the middle finger and said they can't do that silly ass blackout if the game's tickets aren't sold out thing anymore.

Now can they remove the territorial MLB blackouts so I can finally rid of cable and watch the Braves on MLB.TV?

If only. I would subscribe to MLB.tv in a second if it wasn't blacked out. My mom and dad live 4 1/2 hours from KC. No radio stations they can get carry Royals games. The are almost 4 hours from St Louis. MLB.tv? Blacked out for Royals AND Cardinals for them. Pathetic.

MLB will test pace of game initiatives in AFL. Ex: batter to keep at least 1 foot in box in at-bat; no pitch intentional walks.

Taken from twitter: Carrie Muskat

last night's game proves that it's how the game is played that makes the game exciting. it also proves that hitting is more exciting than pitching on balance.

awesome news. one step closer to the end of cable tyranny.

didn't realize how solid volquez has been this season

maybe the dodgers should have kept him around instead of shelling out 20 mil for dan haren

oops

espn using mobb deep survival of the fittest is pretty dope.. usually hear some corn ball ass songs in these promos

didn't realize how solid volquez has been this season

maybe the dodgers should have kept him around instead of shelling out 20 mil for dan haren

oops

espn using mobb deep survival of the fittest is pretty dope.. usually hear some corn ball ass songs in these promos
I wouldn't have taken the risk. There's no doubt in my mind that he would suck again as a Dodger.

Fox318

I would watch more baseball games if I could watch local games on MLB.tv

Parch

last night's game proves that it's how the game is played that makes the game exciting. it also proves that hitting is more exciting than pitching on balance.
It reminded me of an old rivalry in the PCL where pitching wasn't so dominating. The Cannons and the Trappers used to have some insanely intense and high scoring, back and forth games. It was incredible baseball to watch and highly entertaining.

That's why playoff baseball is usually so good. It ramps up to a higher intensity level.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member

I love pitching duels, but I'd agree that lead changes are what make games the most exciting. Not really sure how to reconcile the two in my mind.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
"Hunter Pence stays up late to call Jake from State Farm."

Fkrwb52.png

These signs seem to never get old.

Normally I'd agree that slugfests are the best, but fuck me it was a joy watching a Randy Johnson pitch every fifth day.

watching randy Johnson or Pedro or Clemens, guys like that it's a treat to watch.
but anemic offenses like we've had the last few years aren't fun because it's not the pitcher dominating, it's the offense sucking.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
I completely disagree. The game is exciting no matter the run scoring environment. It's guys out there competing.

Top Bottom