• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014 Postseason |OT| Where Chokes Happen™

shwimpy

I want them to come out with the game times already... I wish they could. I need to know what time the Nats play on Friday and if I need to take off work or not.
Same here haha. I already told my boss I have a cold coming on and it'll hit on Friday. I need to know how early it's going to hit.

Dodgers usually play in the 1pm slot on weekdays right? :/ Oh well, first playoff game I'm going to since the year Steve Finley clinched it with a grand salami. I can't wait. Hope to see some Lima Time out of Kershaw. =P

RBH

yaj7tjn0mxmpxe8brazm.jpg

http://regressing.deadspin.com/impo...inals-are-the-most-hateabl-1640405202/+kylenw

aFIGurANT

Excessive Beards...1 for STL. You're going to count Motte, really? We should be lower. Fucking east-coast bias.

Also Martin has a pretty full/nice beard for Pittsburgh but is he even starting?

Fox318

If the Astros don't win the World Series in 2017 does their GM have to give ticket holders money back for tanking?

.@Orioles to host @tigers in Game 1 of #ALDS Thursday on TBS at either 5:37pm ET or 6:07pm ET, depending on winner of AL #WildCard Game.

.@Angels will host winner of AL #WildCard Game in Game 1 of the #ALDS Thursday at either 9:07pm ET or 9:37pm ET on TBS.

On Friday, start times of the 4 Division Series games will be 12:07pm, 3:07pm, 6:37pm and either 9:37pm or 10:07pm Eastern. #postseason.

Game 2 of the #NLDS Saturday:
NL #WildCard winner at @Nationals, 5:37pm ET, @FOXSports1
@Cardinals at @Dodgers, 9:37pm ET, @MLBNetwork

Game 3 of the #ALDS Sunday:
@Orioles at @Tigers, 3:45pm ET, TBS
@Angels at AL #WildCard Game winner, 7:37pm ET, TBS

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/96997392/attendance-in-2014-seventh-highest-in-mlb-history

2014 had the 7th highest attendance ever for MLB and the last decade has seen the top ten attendance seasons. if Baseball is a dying sport as it's critics like to say it sure is a healthy looking corpse.

some highlights :
-There were 12 clubs that surpassed the 2.5 million mark, including five that topped the 3 million mark. Those five have each reached 3 million in consecutive seasons, including the Yankees (16 in a row!!!), Angels (12), Cardinals (11), Giants (five) and Dodgers (three).

-Oakland had an attendance of 2,003,628 in 2014, surpassing the 2 million mark for the first time since 2005 (2,109,118). 2 million in that... dump. impressive. simply impressive. but then again if they got a new ballpark they would jack up the prices and have less seats so...

anyway, I can keep quoting all day but the point is Baseball just needs a commisioner that understands marketing for today's audience and I really think the sport can keep growing.

it's probably the healthiest of the four sports and has the least amount of controversy realtive to the others (no current murderers, no wife beaters, etc) lots of young up and coming and exciting players. I guess the only thing it really needs to tackle is how to reach the African community. community

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Yep baseball is doing fine, postseason tv ratings might not be the best anymore but it doesnt live off that. Still it could be done much better in certain regards.

Let me watch local games online! ;;

Does anyone else feel like losing the wild card play-in game shouldn't count as a playoff appearance? I mean, if the Royals lose tomorrow will it really feel like a weight off Royal fans shoulders? Seems like it'd be all for nothing.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Does anyone else feel like losing the wild card play-in game shouldn't count as a playoff appearance? I mean, if the Royals lose tomorrow will it really feel like a weight off Royal fans shoulders? Seems like it'd be all for nothing.
But think of all the merchandise they can sell!

JDHarbs

Its going to be a big buzzkill if it happens, but the day we made the playoffs felt like the highlight of the season for this city. That was when the weight truly lifted. It was a statement that the years of 100 loss seasons were behind us at least for a little while. Everything that comes after that is icing on the cake to me. Of course, we want as much icing as we can get.

zulux21

Go Royals.
Royals-Pirates WS.
that is what I went with for the mlb contest.
So did Adam Dunn finally make the playoffs right? And now who has that unfortunate stat of longest without making the playoffs?

I don't consider him to have made the playoffs yet, as he merely is in a playin game to get to the actual playoffs :/

yup, completely. There is absolutely no reason the wildcard game should be considered part of the playoffs, it's merely a play in game that gives two teams (per league) one last chance to make the playoffs.

Fox318

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/96997392/attendance-in-2014-seventh-highest-in-mlb-history

2014 had the 7th highest attendance ever for MLB and the last decade has seen the top ten attendance seasons. if Baseball is a dying sport as it's critics like to say it sure is a healthy looking corpse.

some highlights :
-There were 12 clubs that surpassed the 2.5 million mark, including five that topped the 3 million mark. Those five have each reached 3 million in consecutive seasons, including the Yankees (16 in a row!!!), Angels (12), Cardinals (11), Giants (five) and Dodgers (three).

-Oakland had an attendance of 2,003,628 in 2014, surpassing the 2 million mark for the first time since 2005 (2,109,118). 2 million in that... dump. impressive. simply impressive. but then again if they got a new ballpark they would jack up the prices and have less seats so...

anyway, I can keep quoting all day but the point is Baseball just needs a commisioner that understands marketing for today's audience and I really think the sport can keep growing.

it's probably the healthiest of the four sports and has the least amount of controversy realtive to the others (no current murderers, no wife beaters, etc) lots of young up and coming and exciting players. I guess the only thing it really needs to tackle is how to reach the African community. community
For baseball to truly grow it needs to be a national sport. Look at the ratings for playoff games. Unless the Yankees are involved their isn't national attention like with other sports.

Attendence is not where the money is. Its in tv. Hell they reason why the game hasn't been speed up is tv ads.

For baseball to truly grow it needs to be a national sport. Look at the ratings for playoff games. Unless the Yankees are involved their isn't national attention like with other sports.

Attendence is not where the money is. Its in tv. Hell they reason why the game hasn't been speed up is tv ads.

Regional TV ratings is where its at. The NBA and The MLB can't compete with The NFL in national ratings.

zulux21

Regional TV ratings is where its at. The NBA and The MLB can't compete with The NFL in national ratings.

to be fair each game is fairly important in the NFL since they don't have that many. Each individual game for a baseball team doesn't feel all that important until we are in september.

only way I can think of quickly to change that would be to do something like the following. (note, not well thought out just something I quickly came up with)
Each month april- sept is it's own mini season.
At the end of each month each team gets points based on it's place in it's rankings
First - 1
second - .5
third - .4
fourth - .3
fifth -.2

you design the schedule so that each team has at least a three game series again every other team in their division (and the same number of games as best as you can) each month and ties in the rankings are broken via head to head records. After September the playoff bound teams are determined by their point totals, with ties/homefield advantage being chosen via overall records across the year.

The imdeedate issues with this is that someone could clinch as early as july with the points I set, on the flip side if a team went on a crazy 30-5 run they couldn't ride that lucky run into the playoffs as winning multiple mini season months would require constantly good baseball.

eznark

Banned
The fact that anyone is even within spitting distance of a team that has Molina and Pierzynski is pretty ludicrous.

jakncoke

Banned

some highlights :

Interesting that they list Pirates 2014 as the single season record when baseballreference lists the 2001 as the record holder by 22k. Curious which is correct, either way people are showing up to games more than ever in Pittsburgh. Of the top 7 attended seasons. 4 come from the past 4 seasons. 2001, 1990 and 1991 are the other 3. I assume next season will make it last 5 seasons all in the all time top 10 for Pirates history.

The Royals crashed Monday Night Football last night.

During the game, Arrowhead Stadium retook the Guinness noise record, and when they took the measurement most of the crowd was chanting "Let's go Royals".

Meanwhile, here's the Star today:

ByyHvZTCEAAIZZB.jpg

...and I just got back from the store for lunch stuff, and it's just blue mayhem everywhere. Everyone is decked out in Royals gear.

It's crazy that the Chiefs pulled a huge upset by rolling the Pats last night on MNF, and yet all the AM radio talk today is about the Royals. Sporting KC and the Chiefs have both released "go get 'em" statements.

Argh, hype all up in my body. This week is crawling so far. Wild card games and my MacBook Air is en route.

Pissed that the playoffs are almost entirely on cable since I don't have it, but I understand the reasoning. Thinking about getting the postseason package from MLB.TV, if it works out well on my ps3 I may do the regular season option from now on. I've missed way too much baseball the last two years.

Argh, hype all up in my body. This week is crawling so far. Wild card games and my MacBook Air is en route.

Pissed that the playoffs are almost entirely on cable since I don't have it, but I understand the reasoning. Thinking about getting the postseason package from MLB.TV, if it works out well on my ps3 I may do the regular season option from now on. I've missed way too much baseball the last two years.
Some lives games will be online for the first time. All WS for sure.

harSon

Banned
Interesting fact reading Mccutchen's wikipedia page. His first major league homerun was against Liriano when he was with the twins in 2009.

Top Bottom