• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014 Postseason |OT| Where Chokes Happen™

harSon

Banned
Depends on who they want to replace him with. Keep in mind despite his lol decisions, one has to factor in that his 3 years here are the most successful for a Pirates coach since Leyland and I dont think we're so abundantly talented that we're getting by on that talent alone. So I imo have to factor that into he obvious been that much a positive force one way or another to our franchise

Eh, I just don't see Hurdle as the driving force for our teams turnaround. I attribute our success to our international scouts who scoped out talent like Marte and Polanco. Our drafts, which have given us an incredibly strong farm system. Our ability to buy low and score big on players like Martin, Burnett, Volquez (up until today), Liriano, etc. Ray Searage's ability to transform pitchers.

Hurdle ranks extremely low on the reasons we're competitive IMO. I just can't get behind someone dumb enough to save pitchers in an elimination game. Dude's simply cost us too many games with dipshit decision after dipshit decision for me to defend him.

You can blame Hurdle for starting Volquez but either way the Pirates haven't scored yet.

Well, being down 4-0 and 5-0 early in a game kind of changes a team's mentality at the plate.

Anybody else see the Bryce Harper and Erin Andrews doppelgängers in the crowd a little earlier?

inhmXnq8ygiIH.jpg

We probably won't. Our ownership won't even bring in fucking bullpen help. I doubt they'll outbid big market teams for an aging catcher, even if we're probably horse shit without him.

When I read that he will probably be had for a shorter 3 or so year deal it surprises me there isn't more interest (though maybe there will be). A .800 OPS/4 WAR catcher on a short deal with AAV somewhere in $12 million range seems like a steal. I'd rather have that than whatever $100 million or whatever deal Hanley Ramirez ends up with to be a butcher at SS to compare him to another high profile free agent.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
We probably won't. Our ownership won't even bring in fucking bullpen help. I doubt they'll outbid big market teams for an aging catcher, even if we're probably horse shit without him.

I'm sure the Dodgers will do their best to overpay for him!

aFIGurANT

Martin is in the "offer the qualifying offer and let him walk" camp. He's not likely to stay put, just like AJ last year. There's going to be as much demand as there ever is for a complete package guy behind the plate.

Jesus, keep your hat on already Crazy Eyes Pence.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
You mean the game where he went 7 innings with 12 strike outs, giving up 1 run on 4 hits and no walks? Yeah, totally his fault we lost that game.

It wasn't, but that's the game they should have won and didn't. Hindsight bias isn't a reason to fire your manager.

harSon

Banned
It wasn't, but that's the game they should have won and didn't. Hindsight bias isn't a reason to fire your manager.

He deserves shit regardless. For that game to matter, the Cardinals had to lose. And they were pitching Wainwright against the Diamondbacks. It was stupid no matter how you slice it.

Hmm, Volquez crapped the bed more than I expected. How does the Giants rotation shake out for the NLDS? Washington Walgreens better get ready for that even-year voodoo!

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
I'm surprised Bochy is letting him go back out there. What if his arm falls out in some freak accident?

Freak you say?
POy5y8W.jpg

Hmm, Volquez crapped the bed more than I expected. How does the Giants rotation shake out for the NLDS? Washington Walgreens better get ready for that even-year voodoo!

Our rotation outside of Bum isnt that great lol. Peavy and Vogy need to do well

harSon

Banned
Honestly though, we really should break the bank to retain Martin. We're shit without him, and division contenders with him. We could even stand to make his signing the only move of the off season.

see5harp

Tim Hudson has been super terrible. Like a 10+ ERA the last month or so. Peavy and Mad Bum are really the only guys that I trust in. The Nat's probably have the best starting rotation in baseball. But you know how that goes. Rememer the 2012 Tigers?

BFIB

Damn, tough loss Bucs fans. Even though your our division rival, playoff baseball in Pittsburgh is great. I was really hoping for a Pirates/Cardinals NLCS.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
He deserves shit regardless. For that game to matter, the Cardinals had to lose. And they were pitching Wainwright against the Diamondbacks. It was stupid no matter how you slice it.

Wainwright is quite capable of crapping the bed in a pressure situation. It just didn't work out for the Pirates this year. Sucks that Holdzkum gave up that home run against the Reds.

Wainwright is quite capable of crapping the bed in a pressure situation. It just didn't work out for the Pirates this year. Sucks that Holdzkum gave up that home run against the Reds.
Even if Cole beat Cueto and the D-backs beat Waino, the Pirates still needed to win the tie breaker game (Locke vs Miller) at Busch to avoid the coin flip game. Possible but not very likely for all 3 games to go Pitt's way.

harSon

Banned

Key word is possible. Too many things had to go right to justify the chance of having your number 3/4 guy in the rotation pitch in a do or die game.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Even if Cole beat Cueto and the D-backs beat Waino, the Pirates still needed to win the tie breaker game (Locke vs Miller) at Busch to avoid the coin flip game. Possible but not very likely for all 3 games to go Pitt's way.

I thought Pirates fans were happy about Volquez starting today, though.

I find going for the Division admirable. It just didn't work out. Blaming managers instead of the players on the field seems like such a cop out to me; they're not omniscient.

I thought Pirates fans were happy about Volquez starting today, though.

I find going for the Division admirable. It just didn't work out. Blaming managers instead of the players on the field seems like such a cop out to me; they're not omniscient.
harson was never on board with the move

I thought it was a worthwhile gamble. But I also thought the downgrade from Cole to Volquez could be masked by aggressive bullpen usage in a must-win game so wtf do I know lol

But going for the division by starting Cole in game 162 was definitely not an easy or obvious decision

Blearth

Banned
If you're a fan of the Padres, Braves, Phillies, Rangers, Reds, Cardinals, Tigers, or Pirates, your playoff dreams have been ruined by the Giants in the last five years.

You're next, Nats fans.

Top Bottom