• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014 Postseason |OT| Where Chokes Happen™

harSon

Banned
harson was never on board with the move

I thought it was a worthwhile gamble. But I also thought the downgrade from Cole to Volquez could be masked by aggressive bullpen usage in a must-win game so wtf do I know lol

But going for the division by starting Cole in game 162 was definitely not an easy or obvious decision

I would have preferred having Cole, but I can understand the value in tangibly putting your faith in your players and going for all the marbles. I would have preferred they didn't considering the fact that it required winning a game against Cueto, who they've historically struggled against, and the Diamondbacks beating a Wainwright... But I can stomach the move - especially since Volquez has pitched relatively well as of late.

Having said that, Volquez isn't a dominant pitcher. He doesn't make batters miss. He depends on sound mechanics. Nevermind the fact that he was horse shit this time last year. He should have had a short leash. He's not the type of pitcher you let pitch himself out of a jam in a do or die game, especially if the innings preceding that consisted of hitable/hard hit balls. And in a game where there's no next game if you lose, you don't scrape the bottom of your bullpen to preserve what little chance you have left of winning.

Hurdle managed this game like it was the regular season.

Triz

4 beer chug, now that is efficient.

wEdpsmJl.jpg

My man. If only it was good beer.

You know, when you consider that the final game was against a 20 game winner (on a bad team in a hitter's ballpark, no less) I would have just conceded the loss and bumped Volquez up. I understand why you don't do that, though. The men on your team believe in themselves and want to win the first division title in like 22 years for the franchise.

My man. If only it was good beer.

Uh, no. You A. Don't drink good beer like that. B. "good" beer is usually rich in flavor and would make you barf in 2 seconds if you tried it. He's just wanting to get drunk.

BFIB

The games will sell out. This isn't Atlanta where there's still entire sections to sell out on game day.

Parch

I guess I'm officially on the KC bandwagon, cuz exciting wildcard vs boring wildcard. I like their speed game and they would also fit the definition of cinderella underdog more than the rest of the mercenaries.

JDeluis

I guess I'm officially on the KC bandwagon, cuz exciting wildcard vs boring wildcard. I like their speed game and they would also fit the definition of cinderella underdog more than the rest of the mercenaries.

Might want to keep the kids away from the TV or they're going to see some good pounding. Prince Angels gonna tear that pussy up!

Unless they bunt the whole game, there is no way of stopping KC.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Anaheim makes Oakland seem like San Diego. What a complete shithole of a city. The only city shittier in the OC is whatever city Knotts Berry Farm is in.

Lol, wat? Oakland has like 5x the violent crime rate. Anaheim ain't Newport Beach, but it's certainly not worse than Oakland.

Buena Park is definitely shittier, you're right about that one.

see5harp

Buena Park does look rough.

Seriously Buena Park looks like the bad part of Stockton with a few roller coasters and some Mexican grocery stores. Anaheim is like the same thing only one street has some steak houses and a Tony Romas. Having a Portillos does make it a worthy visit though.

Lol, wat? Oakland has like 5x the violent crime rate. Anaheim ain't Newport Beach, but it's certainly not worse than Oakland.

Buena Park is definitely shittier, you're right about that one.

It's definitely worse than Oakland as a city. Your stadium is better than Oakland's sure. Who looks at violent crime rate? If we did that Chicago would be the worst city in the country, which is certainly isn't.

Calamari41

41 > 38
It's definitely worse than Oakland as a city. Your stadium is better than Oakland's sure. Who looks at violent crime rate? If we did that Chicago would be the worst city in the country, which is certainly isn't.

I thought you were talking about shittiness of the city in terms of crime and such, which is what people usually think of when they think of Oakland. I don't live in Anaheim, btw.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I thought you were talking about shittiness of the city in terms of crime and such, which is what people usually think of when they think of Oakland. I don't live in Anaheim, btw.

More and more of Oakland is becoming gentrified. Nearly 50% of the African-American population has left in the last 20 years, and the city saw some of the highest rents and rent increases in the country last year. Even the parts of town that still have a high crime rate are seeing price increases, if anything the high crime in those areas are what's slowing down the process there.

aFIGurANT

In not so shocking news, Strasburg named the starter for tomorrows game.

The Nats are scary and I even buy into the even-year hype a bit. Their bench is the best, the bullpen is probably the best, and the lineup is probably the most complete of all the playoff teams. Maybe the Angels have a similar offense but that's about it.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
The Nats are scary and I even buy into the even-year hype a bit. Their bench is the best, the bullpen is probably the best, and the lineup is probably the most complete of all the playoff teams. Maybe the Angels have a similar offense but that's about it.

Lefty bat off the bench is probably the only tangible weakness. Ugh, and defense by Asdrubal.

aFIGurANT

Lefty bat off the bench is probably the only tangible weakness. Ugh, and defense by Asdrubal.

Espinosa to play defense with a lead is good though, right? I haven't watched much Washington baseball this season but he has always seemed to be a pretty damn good replacement at short.

see5harp

No worries. I just have the taste of the OC fresh in my mind. If it's any consolation I found the OC to be pretty damn awesome overall. I lived in Huntington Beach for 5 years and would honestly have no problem living in any city in the O.C.

Calamari41

41 > 38
No worries. I just have the taste of the OC fresh in my mind. If it's any consolation I found the OC to be pretty damn awesome overall. I lived in Huntington Beach for 5 years and would honestly have no problem living in any city in the O.C.

Hey that's where I live now. There really is a big difference between coastal OC and the inland areas. Those spots are growing up, though. Orange and Fullerton in particular are really becoming areas worth spending time in.

The thing with Anaheim is that it grew up with Disneyland as the anchor, which creates a weird dynamic. The whole economy for most of it's life has been Disneyland and the nearby hotels and restaurants, with a huge number of its citizens being low paid Disney employees and employees of the hotels/restaurants.

Angels are going with a 3 man rotation? I sure hope that series goes the distance.

If the Angels want to win the whole thing, they're going to need to win the close games and not let any slip away. Every extra game played severely diminishes our chances. Obviously this is true for every team, but the Angels are probably the ones who can least afford to let series drag on to 7 games.

Top Bottom