• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014 Postseason |OT| Where Chokes Happen™

zulux21

Let's talk about how awful that Josh Hamilton contract is.
it's really tough
086981aef2.png
vs
I mean at least Hamilton could turn it around a bit and be an ok grossly overpaid played that isn't a hindrance on the roster. While it would be surprising if the top contract (arod) wasn't a hindrance on the yankees. and if he makes it on the team and does ok he starts earning more money as his bonuses start kicking in with 6 more home runs.

The safe answer is both are awful... and both were obvious that they would be awful at this point. It's why I am hoping the white sox stay clear of Victor Martinez as the odds he will repeat the best season of his career is next to zero but he will expect to be paid to do so (at a min 3 years a 15 mil a year)

and to be fair I would rather be stuck with either of those then
as Albert Pujols while not terrible this year, is clearly not the man the angels expected when they signed him to that contract.
isn't looking so hot either with verlander being a negative WAR pitcher this season. aka it could be worse :p

Blearth

Banned
I'm scared, man. This Nationals team is easily the best team the Giants have met in the playoffs during their current stretch of success.

Opiate

I also draw a distinction between a contract where a player gets unexpectedly hurt and misses a significant part of a contract, relative to a contract like Hamilton's.

If your team signs a short stop with a decent injury track record to a 4 year deal and then his ankle gets mangled in year 2 and he misses a full season and is slow to come back in season 3, that's a different type of loss than the sort of albatross than Arod or Hamilton or Verlander.

I feel those disasters were easily anticipated by savvy teams; losing a pitcher for 1.5 seasons to Tommy John's really isn't.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Very good hitters can easily slump at the same time across a short series. coughcough2004WorldSeriescough

I mean, yeah, KC could definitely cruise through the next two games holding the heart of the Angels batting order hitless. I just don't see it happening. I saw last night as a hot team with momentum coming up against a "better on paper" team that hasn't played a meaningful game in half a month. I'm not making excuses, KC deserved the win. I just see the Angels getting it together going forward.

KC's defense, specifically the outfield, won that game almost single handedly.

I also draw a distinction between a contract where a player gets unexpectedly hurt and misses a significant part of a contract, relative to a contract like Hamilton's.

If your team signs a short stop with a decent injury track record to a 4 year deal and then his ankle gets mangled in year 2 and he misses a full season and is slow to come back in season 3, that's a different type of loss than the sort of albatross than Arod or Hamilton or Verlander.

I feel those disasters were easily anticipated by savvy teams; losing a pitcher for 1.5 seasons to Tommy John's really isn't.

You're absolutely right, especially with a guy like Hamilton. We were happy overall to get him because he was playing well at the time, but alarm bells were going off too. His history is well known and honestly, the only reason there wasn't a ton of outcry is because we all know that Arte Moreno has basically limitless money, so it's not like it cripples us as long as there's no salary cap.

BFIB

Amazing game last night. I'm on the Royals bandwagon for the AL, I'd love another I-70 series between the Royals/Cards.

But if Pujols and the Angels exit early, man, the viritrol on Pujols is going to go up drastically. He's had 5 seasons in a row where the numbers have declined, except for the postseason. Not off to a good start there either.

Amazing game last night. I'm on the Royals bandwagon for the AL, I'd love another I-70 series between the Royals/Cards.

But if Pujols and the Angels exit early, man, the viritrol on Pujols is going to go up drastically. He's had 5 seasons in a row where the numbers have declined, except for the postseason. Not off to a good start there either.

He was worth 3.3 fWAR this season and that still isn't enough to equal the $23 million he's being paid this year.

Letting him walk was the best thing Mo and the deWitts ever did.

BFIB

Cards have had good success gainst Kershaw, beat him twice in last years NLCS. I really hope that trend continues today, but Kersh is on a whole other level, even compared to last years form.

Is this even his final one?

Unless he churns out AFraud levels of choking, there'll be plenty of scapegoats if the Angels fail. Then again, the average fan (of any team) is pretty stupid - he'll be the easy target because of his contract unless the Angels lose in spite of him.

Cards have had good success gainst Kershaw, beat him twice in last years NLCS. I really hope that trend continues today, but Kersh is on a whole other level, even compared to last years form.

Is this even his final one?

Cards do well against Kershaw, and Kershaw hasn't been at his best in his last few starts. He hasn't given up many runs, but he's been very hittable and his control hasn't been great.

He did well in his first start in the NLCS last season though. He had given up 0 ER in 6 innings, but Mattingly took him off in order for the pinch hitter to spark some offense.

JDHarbs

MLB's playoff ticketing system is complete trash. I know your servers are getting hammered, but don't limit us to 1 seat at a time. Now nobody can sit together.

Edit: and now they're sold out. Perfect.

Cards do well against Kershaw, and Kershaw hasn't been at his best in his last few starts. He hasn't given up many runs, but he's been very hittable and his control hasn't been great.

He did well in his first start in the NLCS last season though. He had given up 0 ER in 6 innings, but Mattingly took him off in order for the pinch hitter to spark some offense.

there was some debate about whether home field was a good thing for the dodgers

id say so for this opening series at least

kershaw doesn't pitch well in STL (even this year 3 ER while shutting the cards out at home) and Ryu is better on the road

would they go with kershaw on short rest again? i'm not sure.. last time it was to avoid going back to atlanta

Top Bottom