• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014 Season |OT| This Year, We Put Some Mustard on It.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ibiwJhJ3EBVtBJ.gif

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Fucking worthless Twins. Lost because of a home run by fucking Drew Butera. Put Brian Duensing on the rocket they use to fire Big Pelf into the sun.

Meier

Over the last two seasons, I think van Slyke has shown that he's good enough to be a regular platoon OFer. We need to trade Crawford or Ethier ASAP.

Sanjuro

i agree. although the braves seem to be on the right side of the calls. dont think one has gone against them.

We are on the other side of the spectrum. Even if things were going our way, I'm not sure I would like the system, but things this way drive the point home that this system sucks.

For replay itself, the entire point is to review and fix close or missed calls...what is the point of it if the umpires CAN'T do that with this tool?!

It's a joke and should have been shelved with that stupid transfer rule.

We are on the other side of the spectrum. Even if things were going our way, I'm not sure I would like the system, but things this way drive the point home that this system sucks.

For replay itself, the entire point is to review and fix close or missed calls...what is the point of it if the umpires CAN'T do that with this tool?!

It's a joke and should have been shelved with that stupid transfer rule.

I was 100% in favor of this new replay system but after seeing it in action it is completely broken and pointless. They show the replays on TV and yet even though it is clear as day what the right call is the umps still manage to fuck it up.

Sanjuro

I was 100% in favor of this new replay system but after seeing it in action it is completely broken and pointless. They show the replays on TV and yet even though it is clear as day what the right call is the umps still manage to fuck it up.

One of my favorite calls was from a few weeks ago. The call was wrong, replayed, and the umps went against it because "It wasn't in the spirit of the replay or rule".

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Worst thing about the replay rule is managers now shuffle out like a lunch line at an old folks home instead of running out spittle flying to kick some dirt. Changed the game. I miss you Lou Piniella.

Malvingt2

Braves suspected Marlins of using cameras to steal signs

If you've been wondering how the Marlins started scoring runs all of a sudden, and especially at Marlins Park, one of the best pitcher's parks in the majors, you're not alone. The Atlanta Braves found it more than just a little suspicious that the Marlins were not only tearing it up in their home park, but going hog wild against Aaron Harang on Wednesday just days after striking out 11 times against him in Atlanta.

The Braves, in fact, began to wonder if the Marlins were up to no good, specifically, by stealing signs through the use of cameras positioned strategically around the ballpark. That's right. The Braves wondered if the Marlins had concealed a camera inside the Home Run Sculpture. Braves pitching coach Roger McDowell even threw a towel over a Fox Sports camera lens before Thursday's game to keep it from focusing in on Braves starter Ervin Santana as he was warming up in the bullpen.

From the Atlanta Journal-Constitution:

"If you would have taken a look at our dugout at one point in the game, it was like the fourth or fifth inning, they were hitting balls everywhere, we got three guys looking at the scoreboard,” (Braves manager Fredi) Gonzalez said. “You got two guys looking at their bullpen. I’m calling (bullpen coach) Eddie (Perez), ‘Eddie do you see anything?’ I’m looking at Gattis, thinking he’s maybe tipping his pitches. Carlos (Tosca) is looking in the bench over there, maybe somebody is whistling or something.”

Gonzalez said he changed signs five times during the course of Harang’s outing and went to multiple signs even with no runners on base. The hits kept coming regardless.

Gonzalez said he wondered if Gattis was giving away signs, but then figured that wouldn’t account for the disparity in the Marlins home/road splits in general. Entering play Thursday, the Marlins were hitting .307 while scoring 6.3 runs per game at Marlins Park. They were hitting .215 with 2.7 runs per game on the road.

“Yeah, you have this conspiracy theory, but at the end, we came up with nothing,” Gonzalez said. “It wasn’t like we saw a guy with the (binoculars), like Mick Billmeyer (former Phillies bullpen coach) in Colorado. At the end of the day, they didn’t miss the pitches. They were right there.”

Gonzalez was laughing when he told the story Thursday afternoon in the Braves dugout, describing how the Braves went so far as to look at the sculpture in left center field, wondering if there was somebody hiding in there with a camera.

“There was one guy sitting (in outfield seats) who had a red hat and an orange shirt,” Gonzalez said. “I said ‘Boy that’s a bad combination to have. I told (Jordan) Schafer and (Tyler) Pastornicky to keep an eye on that guy over there.’ The guy got up, went to get a coke.”

more in here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fish...ing-cameras-to-steal-signs.html#storylink=cpy

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
12:20pm: ESPN’s Buster Olney reports (via Twitter) that Johnson is guaranteed $23.5MM over the life of the deal, and the 2018 club option is valued at $10MM.
eww

Meier

Welp, Wainwright really shit the bed today. Happens to the best of them I suppose, he's been a more than worthy Keeper thus far.

BFIB

Just unbelievable that the Cards are just playing like shit against teams they should easily be handling.

Just gives a bad omen on the season. This club needs to start playing like it matters.

Meier

Man, do I need a 1st baseman. Give me Posey back darkside!

Goldschmidt was one of my Keepers and I also took Abreu. Working out well in my league. Here's my team.

C Salvador Pérez KC - C
1B Paul Goldschmidt Ari - 1B (Keeper)
2B Martín Prado Ari - 2B,3B,OF
3B Nolan Arenado Col - 3B
SS Jed Lowrie Oak - 2B,SS
OF Billy Hamilton Cin - OF
OF Ángel Pagán SF - OF
OF Jayson Werth Was - OF
Util Norichika Aoki KC - OF
Util José Abreu CWS - 1B
BN Aramis Ramírez Mil - 3B
BN Chase Utley Phi - 2B
BN Elvis Andrus Tex - SS
BN Pablo Sandoval SF - 3B
DL Josh Hamilton LAA - OF (Keeper)
Stats: R, H, HR, RBI, SB, OBP

SP Adam Wainwright StL - SP (Keeper)
SP Hisashi Iwakuma Sea - SP (Keeper)
RP Kenley Jansen LAD - RP
RP Tommy Hunter Bal - RP
P José Fernández Mia - SP
P C.J. Wilson LAA - SP
P John Axford Cle - RP
P Aaron Harang Atl - SP
BN Michael Wacha StL - SP,RP
Stats: W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, QS

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I've never heard of the Twins scrubs that are winning ballgames.
To be honest I don't know a lot of the dudes either.

Hicks is on the concussion DL so the Twins... called up another pitcher. The roster is now 14 pitchers and 11 position players. I guess if you don't have quality you need quantity.

Free Alex Meyer and Trevor May. :(

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Braves suspected Marlins of using cameras to steal signs

If you've been wondering how the Marlins started scoring runs all of a sudden, and especially at Marlins Park, one of the best pitcher's parks in the majors, you're not alone. The Atlanta Braves found it more than just a little suspicious that the Marlins were not only tearing it up in their home park, but going hog wild against Aaron Harang on Wednesday just days after striking out 11 times against him in Atlanta.

The Braves, in fact, began to wonder if the Marlins were up to no good, specifically, by stealing signs through the use of cameras positioned strategically around the ballpark. That's right. The Braves wondered if the Marlins had concealed a camera inside the Home Run Sculpture. Braves pitching coach Roger McDowell even threw a towel over a Fox Sports camera lens before Thursday's game to keep it from focusing in on Braves starter Ervin Santana as he was warming up in the bullpen.

more in here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fish...ing-cameras-to-steal-signs.html#storylink=cpy
Or Aaron Harang actually sucks.

ONE OF THESE THINGS

Malo

Banned
Goldschmidt was one of my Keepers and I also took Abreu. Working out well in my league. Here's my team.

C Salvador Pérez KC - C
1B Paul Goldschmidt Ari - 1B (Keeper)
2B Martín Prado Ari - 2B,3B,OF
3B Nolan Arenado Col - 3B
SS Jed Lowrie Oak - 2B,SS
OF Billy Hamilton Cin - OF
OF Ángel Pagán SF - OF
OF Jayson Werth Was - OF
Util Norichika Aoki KC - OF
Util José Abreu CWS - 1B
BN Aramis Ramírez Mil - 3B
BN Chase Utley Phi - 2B
BN Elvis Andrus Tex - SS
BN Pablo Sandoval SF - 3B
DL Josh Hamilton LAA - OF (Keeper)
Stats: R, H, HR, RBI, SB, OBP

SP Adam Wainwright StL - SP (Keeper)
SP Hisashi Iwakuma Sea - SP (Keeper)
RP Kenley Jansen LAD - RP
RP Tommy Hunter Bal - RP
P José Fernández Mia - SP
P C.J. Wilson LAA - SP
P John Axford Cle - RP
P Aaron Harang Atl - SP
BN Michael Wacha StL - SP,RP
Stats: W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, QS
Abreu and Goldschmidt? You lucky bastard.

Meier

AND Angel Pagan.

Yeah, I actually managed to get him off the FA list about a month ago. Harang replaced Taylor Scheppers who I took a flyer on due to Iwakuma being on the DL before Harang's second start which until the other day has worked out brilliantly and then Tommy Hunter replaced Nate Jones right after the draft but my other players were all drafted. Everything has worked out pretty well thus far -- dropped Yelich yesterday in advance of Iwakuma coming off the DL.

1. (8) Paul Goldschmidt K (Ari - 1B)
2. (13) Josh Hamilton K (LAA - OF)
3. (28) Adam Wainwright K (StL - SP)
4. (33) Hisashi Iwakuma K (Sea - SP)
5. (48) José Fernández (Mia - SP)
6. (53) Kenley Jansen (LAD - RP)
7. (68) Billy Hamilton (Cin - OF)
8. (73) Elvis Andrus (Tex - SS)
9. (88) Pablo Sandoval (SF - 3B)
10. (93) Jayson Werth (Was - OF)
11. (108) Martín Prado (Ari - 2B,3B,OF)
12. (113) Michael Wacha (StL - SP,RP)
13. (128) Salvador Pérez (KC - C)
14. (133) Chase Utley (Phi - 2B)
15. (148) Aramis Ramírez (Mil - 3B)
16. (153) José Abreu (CWS - 1B)
17. (168) C.J. Wilson (LAA - SP)
18. (173) Jed Lowrie (Oak - 2B,SS)
19. (188) Nolan Arenado (Col - 3B)
20. (193) Norichika Aoki (KC - OF)
21. (208) Nate Jones (CWS - RP)
22. (213) John Axford (Cle - RP)
23. (228) Christian Yelich (Mia - OF)

It's a long running league so first 4 rounds are Keepers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom