• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014 Season |OT| This Year, We Put Some Mustard on It.

Status
Not open for further replies.

newjeruse

Cubs have signed Manny Ramirez to be a player-coach in Triple-A. The press release states that he has no chance to make the majors for the Cubs and will only play part time.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Best signing the Cubs have ever made. Seriously.

Manny is one of the greatest hitters to ever play. Although to be honest hes still probably better than the scrubs the Cubs are trotting out in OF these days anyway.

The MLBPA is also concerned that the Cubs payroll is only $93 million, and will put pressure on them to spend. I think we make a run at Lester in the offseason.

Parch

The MLBPA is also concerned that the Cubs payroll is only $93 million, and will put pressure on them to spend. I think we make a run at Lester in the offseason.
But they don't want to give Samadzija an extension? Blue Jays are sniffing around again for him. Not sure what it would take, but if the Cubs don't want to spend to keep him then they better not expect the moon.

But they don't want to give Samadzija an extension? Blue Jays are sniffing around again for him. Not sure what it would take, but if the Cubs don't want to spend to keep him then they better not expect the moon.

We are going to ask for some top prospects for sure. Samardzija is worth a lot. I know we want Hutchison to be part of the deal.

Parch

Samardzija is worth a lot. I know we want Hutchison to be part of the deal.
Apparently Blue Jay management has said that's not going to happen. Considering contract and potential, swapping out Hutchison for Samardzija isn't considered a huge upgrade in the long run. Our #2 starter is more than a top prospect.

Samardzija isn't worth a lot if the Cubs are not willing to pay him. It will be interesting to see what they can get for him.

3N16MA

Banned
We are going to ask for some top prospects for sure. Samardzija is worth a lot. I know we want Hutchison to be part of the deal.

I'm not sure that trade makes sense for the Jays.

Samardzija: 7.15 K/9, 2.78 BB/9, 0.26 BB/9, 2.86 FIP, 3.46 FIP, 1.5 fWAR

Hutchison: 8.85 K/9, 2.70 BB/9, 0.75 HR/9, 3.12 FIP, 3.56 FIP, 1.5 fWAR

Hutchison is younger and cost controlled longer than Samardzija. Samardzija is more of a GB pitcher than Hutchison which helps in the AL East but that does not seem like enough of a positive to do that trade with prospects on top.

Samardzija has already shown a drop in velocity in 2013 and again this season. He does have more experience but it makes little sense to trade a pitcher who is positively contributing to the Jays rotation and is one of their best right now.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day

Reminder: they reportedly asked for one of Justin Upton or Jason Heyward, plus prospects for Shark in the offseason.

3N16MA

Banned
Cubs dodged a bullet by not trading him for Heyward.

He is struggling with his offense but he is playing elite defense and contributing on the bases. We have seen this before with Heyward and he bounced back nicely the following season.

Only Bautista has been more valuable in RF since 2010.

We all saw that coming when he came out in the dugout. Still what a waste of opportunity to take a big lead in the inning.

2 innings in a row really

Nice crowd at the game today, glad I already own a jersey and didn't feel the need to line up 3 hours early to get a low quality one

Cubs are acting like they're trading Maddux.

Well he is going to be the best available pitcher out there with year left on his contract. Not to mention he has a lot less mileage on his arm due to his football experience. We should be able to get a nice haul for him. Just want to see who is going to be the most desperate to get him. I could see the AL East leaders getting in a bidding war along with the NL West.

3N16MA

Banned
Well he is going to be the best available pitcher out there with year left on his contract. Not to mention he has a lot less mileage on his arm due to his football experience. We should be able to get a nice haul for him. Just want to see who is going to be the most desperate to get him. I could see the AL East leaders getting in a bidding war along with the NL West.

They may go after Hammel instead as he will cost less.

thefro

Yep, Shark's a better pitcher than Garza and has another year of team control so I expect a bigger haul than what we got for Garza.

Sanjuro

Congrats, Josh!

yF4Bl22.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom