• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014 Season |OT| This Year, We Put Some Mustard on It.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cleveland Pac-Man Ghost. He just moved left and right in his aisle for a good portion of the game.

dFSMtK7.jpg

crazy. lol

jakncoke

Banned
So why does the MLB draft get next to no coverage compared to the other major sports?

There is next to none coverage on prospects during the season leaving you to have to read up on tons of articles and scouting reports to know anything about these guys(so take away hype that you get from watching bb/football players grow up and enter the draft), even if you recognize the name you're at least 3-4 years from seeing him on the main roster if they make it(in nba/nfl you have people coming right out of the gate and making impacts in year 1 and 2), also for me personally even for beyond the first 2 points , if you look at baseball-reference and look through the draft rounds its pretty much all fail rate at even making a call up. So unless you're big into following/watching minor leagues you'll likely never at least 75% of the drafted players in a big league game. That being said I'll at least keep a eye on whomever the Pirates are drafting in the early rounds to go search some scouting reports.

Syrinx

Three big reasons

1. Nobody really watches College Baseball
2. Unless you're a scout you probably haven't even heard of the random high school players
3. Most of the players are 3+ years from actually making an impact for their big league team

Pretty much outside of the top 10, nobody really knows much about any of the picks or how long it will take them to come up to the majors.

Also the draft is in the middle of the season, where in other sports it's one of the major events in the offseason.

calder

Janssen is so automatic he barely needs to pitch at all to get his saves.

Once again, I would have been thrilled with 2 of 3 and the Jays decide to sweep instead. Fucking madness.

Malvingt2

So I got into a huge discussion in my job about Derek Jeter. I don't think he deserves to go to The All Stars game. in my Job 95% of my co workers are Yankees fans and they don't get my point. They just keep bringing the past. "Look at his numbers" I don't care about his past. Bring him as a special guest or whatever [like they did with Tony Gwynn]. The All Stars game means something now. If Jeter accepted to get in with those horrible numbers.. Man.. I will not respect the guy.

But if that is case.. better for my NL crew. A better chance of winning.

Malo

Banned
So I got into a huge discussion in my job about Derek Jeter. I don't think he deserves to go to All Stars game. in my Job 95% of my co workers are Yankees fans and they don't get my point. They just keep bringing the past. "Look at his numbers" I don't care about his past. Bring him as a special guest or whatever [like they did with Tony Gwynn]. The All Stars game means something now. If Jeter accepted to get in with those horrible numbers.. Man.. I will not respect the guy.

You won't respect him because people are stupid enough to vote him in? How's that his fault? Blame the idiots that vote for him.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
So I got into a huge discussion in my job about Derek Jeter. I don't think he deserves to go to The All Stars game. in my Job 95% of my co workers are Yankees fans and they don't get my point. They just keep bringing the past. "Look at his numbers" I don't care about his past. Bring him as a special guest or whatever [like they did with Tony Gwynn]. The All Stars game means something now. If Jeter accepted to get in with those horrible numbers.. Man.. I will not respect the guy.

Derek Jeter is hardly a man that inspires rationality. I mean, the Yankees have played Brendan friggin Ryan at 1B in deference to Jeter.

Still, you touch on a somewhat fundamental question around the purpose of the ASG. Is it best to assemble the best players of the year, or the players that fans want to see? I tend to favour the former argument, but I can understand the latter one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom