• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014 Season |OT| This Year, We Put Some Mustard on It.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syrinx

Mets fans who follow the system closer than I do: what's the deal with Dominic Smith? 200 ABs in Savannah but he doesn't have a HR yet. I know he's still only 18 (though his birthday is only 10 days away), but I thought the book on him was that he'd be a real solid hitter with a lot of power. Was he not quite as advanced or developed a hitter as people originally thought? Has he been dealing with an injury? Or is it that whole "still developing into his power" thing (I guess he is only 185 pounds right now)?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Mets fans who follow the system closer than I do: what's the deal with Dominic Smith? 200 ABs in Savannah but he doesn't have a HR yet. I know he's still only 18 (though his birthday is only 10 days away), but I thought the book on him was that he'd be a real solid hitter with a lot of power. Was he not quite as advanced or developed a hitter as people originally thought? Has he been dealing with an injury? Or is it that whole "still developing into his power" thing (I guess he is only 185 pounds right now)?

... hes 18 years old dude. He had a god awful April, he had a .400 OBP in May.

I guess hes as good of an example as to why nobody cares about the draft. Chances are he might never make it to the bigs and if he did it wouldn't be for another 4-5 years realistically.

zroid

Banned
This gets asked at the beginning of every season. No

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't know why some Jays fans seem so preoccupied with whether this team is "for real". Just shaddap and enjoy the ride while it lasts, people.

And if it somehow lasts into the post-season, well... great!

Macattk15

Wonder if Detroit is kicking themselves in the dick over that Verlander contract.

And I hope Tampa Bay keeps stinkin' it up while the M's are in town.

jakncoke

Banned
@Rontrarian
Harold Reynolds just said Tyler Kolek is going to keep gaining velocity, topping out at 105. Off to a good start. #MLBDraft

Where this dude projected to go pick wise?

Dude was pushed a little and struggled mightily to start off. But he's slowly coming along. Have read that he does seem to be a little bit bigger and with his type of body has the chance to add bad weight. Nimmo underwhelmed last year and now has turned it around this year.

Syrinx

Dude was pushed a little and struggled mightily to start off. But he's slowly coming along. Have read that he does seem to be a little bit bigger and with his type of body has the chance to add bad weight. Nimmo underwhelmed last year and now has turned it around this year.

Yeah Nimmo's been killing in St. Lucie this year.

@Rontrarian
Harold Reynolds just said Tyler Kolek is going to keep gaining velocity, topping out at 105. Off to a good start. #MLBDraft

Where this dude projected to go pick wise?
I've been hearing he won't go past the Sox @3 if Aiken and Rodon go 1 and 2. Hoping the Cubs take Jackson or Nola with #4 if none of the other pitchers slip.

cashman

Banned
Also the draft is in the middle of the season, where in other sports it's one of the major events in the offseason.

There's also no real pre draft hype outside of a few months out. At this time last year nobody knew about Brady Aiken, or Tyler Kolek, the Gordon sibling etc. Compared to the NBA people are already hearing about 2015 draftees like Cliff Alexander, Jahlil Okafor, Mylese Turner and the like.

pestul

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't know why some Jays fans seem so preoccupied with whether this team is "for real". Just shaddap and enjoy the ride while it lasts, people.

And if it somehow lasts into the post-season, well... great!
Well yeah, I'm just starting to get legitimately excited about this squad. They probably deserve more recognition than they're getting at this point imo.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Before the season started, I thought for sure Rodon would go #1. Now, it's not looking that way.

Astros gonna grab Aiken.

cashman

Banned
Before the season started, I thought for sure Rodon would go #1. Now, it's not looking that way.

Astros gonna grab Aiken.

Nathan Rode ‏@NathanRode 1m
Confirmed @johnmanuelba's tweet. #Astros going with Aiken.

Confirmed.

edit: He's the third HS LHP ever selected first overall. The other 2? David Clyde and Brien Taylor. Good luck Astros!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
He's the third HS LHP ever selected first overall. The other 2? David Clyde and Brien Taylor. Good luck Astros!

Those were the other 2 HS pitchers chosen total, regardless of lefty or right.

Though to be fair, if guys like Gooden, Beckett, Greinke, and Bumgarner went 1st instead of going 5th. 2nd, 6th, and 10th the whole perception of taking HS pitchers with the first pick would look a lot different.

zulux21

Yeah interesting for sure. White sox just took Rodon.

yup I am expecting Rodon to sign very very quickly and be up in the majors later this year following the chris sale route of going to the bullpen as the closer for this season (assuming he doesn't suck up the minors to much) and perhaps slotted into the rotation next year.

cashman

Banned
yup I am expecting Rodon to sign very very quickly and be up in the majors later this year following the chris sale route of going to the bullpen as the closer for this season (assuming he doesn't suck up the minors to much) and perhaps slotted into the rotation next year.

Not so fast there. I'm hearing he still wants 1-1 money, so that negotiation could go to the deadline.

Well shit why am I even watching MLB Network.

So you can see how breathtakingly handsome Brady Aiken is in person.

triple edit: Clint Longenecker ‏@Clint_BA 2m
Cubs will draft Kyle Schwarber at No. 4 sources say

Interesting. Needed a pitcher, but the best three are taken so they're sticking with a hitter.

zulux21

Not so fast there. I'm hearing he still wants 1-1 money, so that negotiation could go to the deadline.

Maybe, but the white sox have every reason to try to sign him as fast as possible... they are only 2.5 games out of first right now (1 game out of the wild card), and the sooner they sign him the higher chance he has to help the team this year (a team that needs a real closer)... The promise of the fast track to the majors can do a lot to help someone sign fast.

zroid

Banned
Well yeah, I'm just starting to get legitimately excited about this squad. They probably deserve more recognition than they're getting at this point imo.

Better they don't get the recognition. If no one's taking them seriously, they'll have an easier time winning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom