• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014 Season |OT| This Year, We Put Some Mustard on It.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

Clay went 6-0 with 61 Ks and 4 ER in 44 innings in June.

smiley-excited002.gif
smiley-excited002.gif
smiley-excited002.gif
smiley-excited002.gif

Lol a month and a half ago fellow DodgersGaf had no faith in them.

We even now... Brand new season

E: looks like we lost Turner to the DL today

Malvingt2

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan
Multiple executives confirm authenticity of trade talks hacked from Astros computer. Docs: http://bit.ly/1pENndo and http://bit.ly/1pENt4K

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan
Tons of interesting insight into the mechanics of baseball trades in those docs. Juiciest: Astros turned down Stanton for Correa/Springer.

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan
Full accounting of the Astros leak here at Deadspin: http://deadsp.in/1pEP9Ly Fascinating look inside how Houston approaches trade talks.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
That Astros shit is amazing. Wonder how many teams are fixing their own security so this never happens to them.

Kind of unfathomable that any team in baseball would turn down Stanton for their top 2 prospects but I guess it could work out for them.

jakncoke

Banned
That Astros shit is amazing. Wonder how many teams are fixing their own security so this never happens to them.

Kind of unfathomable that any team in baseball would turn down Stanton for their top 2 prospects but I guess it could work out for them.

Probably close to none lol, Cover their ears squint their eyes and run around like a chicken without his head screaming lalalalal that'll never happen to me.

rando14

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan
Multiple executives confirm authenticity of trade talks hacked from Astros computer. Docs: http://bit.ly/1pENndo and http://bit.ly/1pENt4K

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan
Tons of interesting insight into the mechanics of baseball trades in those docs. Juiciest: Astros turned down Stanton for Correa/Springer.

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan
Full accounting of the Astros leak here at Deadspin: http://deadsp.in/1pEP9Ly Fascinating look inside how Houston approaches trade talks.

This is incredible. So glad they turned down Stanton lulzzz

Also, poor Ichiro no one wants him :(

Talon

"[Braves AGM John Coppolella] reach out to [Astros director of pro scouting Kevin Goldstein] to ask if we had interest in Paul Janish."

lol

cashman

Banned
[Nationals GM Mike] Rizzo called [Luhnow] to inquire on Harrell. JL told him we would still need a headliner like Giolito because we still value Harrell highly. Rizzo did not respond immediately.

bahahahahahaha

Also funny is that AA was willing to trade Stroman for Bud Norris. Wonder why Luhnow didn't bite right there.

jakncoke

Banned
NH offered Heredia + comp pick for Norris. JL said no."

If only. Heredia while young still looking more and more like back of the end rotation or even reliever

NH said he would not include Polanco in any Norris deal. JL asked for Glasnow + Heredia or Glasnow + Kingham and NH said no. NH said he was willing to add to Heredia. NH said he would also consider adding to Heredia with pick 73. JL said that Glasnow had to be the headliner and we were looking for."

Fuck off Astros stay away from Glasnow and Kingham!

PIT said the wouldn't trade Taillion or Polanco. Might consider one of Glasnow, Heredia, or Hanson for Norris. "

Yeah i wouldnt be opposed to trading Heredia or Hanson tbh. Do it NH! Get us something. Package them up for something

Interesting this is what eventually got Norris

Baltimore Orioles for Josh Hader (minors), L.J. Hoes and 2014 round A competitive balance pick.

How are those guys compared to what we offering?

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Especially when Correa is done for the year. Never know what he'll turn out to be when he gets healthy

He's 19, he'll be fine.

Thank GOD they didn't do that deal. Jesus. Plus, there was no point to unload star prospects for what, a few extra wins? Stanton doesn't make them a WS contender.

cashman

Banned
He's 19, he'll be fine.

Thank GOD they didn't do that deal. Jesus. Plus, there was no point to unload star prospects for what, a few extra wins? Stanton doesn't make them a WS contender.

Stanton is younger than Springer and he's already a generational talent.

Malvingt2

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN
The Astros have been reaching out to folks around baseball apologizing for information that leaked on Deadspin today. Statement coming soon.

jakncoke

Banned
Stanton is younger than Springer and he's already a generational talent.

Stanton also been at the MLB level for 5 year years and proven to be a power hitter and .3 bWar from 20 career war. Springer in his rookie year with nearly 100 k's and Correa is far too low of a level even if he was healthy to know if he'll be anything at the MLB level. I can see and understand both sides of the argument for or against.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
He's 19, he'll be fine.

Hey its cool to be an Astros fan but Stanton is probably the best player in baseball not named Mike Trout to have on a franchise for the next 10 years.

Astros might have very well passed up what the Tigers did do to get Miguel Cabrera - which has worked out pretty well for them.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Hey its cool to be an Astros fan but Stanton is probably the best player in baseball not named Mike Trout to have on a franchise for the next 10 years.

Astros might have very well passed up what the Tigers did do to get Miguel Cabrera - which has worked out pretty well for them.

Sure but... Stanton was only under control for 3 years? I don't know if these penny-pinching Astros would want to shell out the cash for a Stanton extension. Whereas Correa and Springer are both highly talented players in their own right, and under control for 6+ each. And Correa's recent leg injury isn't a viable reason to critique the Astros for not taking that deal.

cashman

Banned
By a whole two months.

Yes, Stanton is great but the Astros weren't at a time where adding him would give them a run at the World Series.

Who says it's about this year though? They would have had him through the 2016 season which by then they should be competitive and it would also give them plenty of time to lock him up long term. It really comes down to what you think of Correa and whether you think he'll stick at shortstop.

Sure but... Stanton was only under control for 3 years? I don't know if these penny-pinching Astros would want to shell out the cash for a Stanton extension. Whereas Correa and Springer are both highly talented players in their own right, and under control for 6+ each. And Correa's recent leg injury isn't a viable reason to critique the Astros for not taking that deal.

I don't think Crane is necessarily a penny pincher, the not paying players is just part of their organizational strategy I think.

jakncoke

Banned

Before this rebuild werent the Astro always in the upper 15 of money? Although I dont their idea on the assumed 150+ deal it'll take to get Stanton

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Who says it's about this year though? They would have had him through the 2016 season which by then they should be competitive and it would also give them plenty of time to lock him up long term. It really comes down to what you think of Correa and whether you think he'll stick at shortstop.

I don't think Crane is necessarily a penny pincher, the not paying players is just part of their organizational strategy I think.

Realistically, saying they should be competitive by 2016 is really optimistic. Their FO can't know that for sure. I mean, look how long it's taken the Royals to go from best farm system ever to somewhat competent major league team. And if they are competitive in 2016 with a line-up that wouldn't have Correa in it, then unless they can extend Stanton (another big risk factor) they would only be looking at a window of 1 season to compete.

And what if Stanton gets injured again and his performance suffers during that window?

I feel like it's just way too risky for the Astros to make that trade at that point in their development.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

True true. I think Correa will be a top-tier player, unfortunately the injury is a bit of a setback.

IIRC, Luhnow said the time to spend will come when the time is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom