• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014 Season |OT2| - Derek Jeter Appreciation Thread

RBH

Kansas City can clinch their first playoff birth since 1985 with either a win today or a Seattle loss.

Oakland can clinch a playoff birth with a win plus a Seattle loss.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2...bunch-of-f-bombs-in-his-postgame-speech-good/

Hunter Pence:
Our goal at the beginning of this [EFFING] season was to go to the [EFFING] World Series. And guess what boys, we’re going to the [EFFING] dance! You know what? We’ve had [MOTHEREFFERS] out all the time. All year long we’ve had [EFFING] big injuries. We’ve had [EFFING] all sorts of [POOP]. Ups, downs, but we’re [EFFING] here. We’re [EFFING] going to the World Series!

From comments on the Giants 2014 season:
I was pretty snarky when I first heard that the Giants were planning to celebrate, win or lose. Then I sat through the game that was the 2014 Giants season in a nutshell: up 6-0 with two home runs, lead cut in half, bullpen implodes and loses the lead halfway through, and then through a combination of luck, small ball, and force of will, they manage to pull out the win by a tiny margin.

This is a team who lost their starting 2B before the season began. One of their aces was on and off the DL until needing season-ending surgery. Same with their CF, without whom they struggle to score runs for some reason. Their young slugger who was poised for a breakout season, goes out after having his thumb broken on an HBP, and comes back only to get drilled in the face by a teammate in BP and is out with a concussion for over a month. The backup catcher also takes one too many hits off the mask and gets shut down for the year. Their other power bat cools down and then gets sidelined by injury; after a brief stint of being good, their $35 million 5th starter can’t find the strike zone with a GPS and ends up demoted to the bullpen. Their closer suddenly starts being hittable and ends up losing his hold on the job. 2B is a rotating vortex of awful for most of the season.

It’s been a hard road for them. Many of the injuries have been self-inflicted, too: the ridiculous contract to Timmy, Sabean’s failure to get any depth in the outfield even though we know Pagan’s made of glass, thinking that Scutaro would be able to play this year–and then bringing him back for a week where his only “contribution” was to hit Belt in the face, giving him a concussion. This is a team that intentionally gave Dan Uggla playing time.

And yet…when Cainer went down, Peavy came in and gave the team a boost. Vogey remembered how to pitch again. Timmy forgot, but Petit came in and proved to be a valuable piece of the rotation. Panik and Susac proved Sabean wrong when he said they weren’t ready for prime time; Panik’s claimed 2B for his own and Susac’s been good enough that moving Posey is slightly less insane than it was a few months ago. Brandon Belt, the favorite whipping boy of much of the Giants fanbase, fought back from broken hand and the concussion; last night he hit the 1,000th home run at AT&T Park, dunking splash hit #68 into the Cove. For the first time in baseball history, a manager went out to the mount to hand the ball to his son.

These guys aren’t stupid. They know this is just step 1, an all-or-nothing shot. But it’s still October Baseball, and for them to be playing after game 162 is something they can and should celebrate.

rekameohs

Banned
bye-b.gif

aFIGurANT

So is unblock.us still the consensus on avoiding in-market blackouts? Apparently the At Bat app sniffs out mock location as a red flag so that's a no-go but I'd hate to miss the last series of the year for my team.

Watching the Pirates win only depresses the shit out of me and AL ball is definitely inferior ball although I'm pulling for the Royals to somehow win the Central.

I've been in the car so many times and have no idea what is going on in the game.

Sterling isn't good.

meh. that's you then. I can follow it just fine. I have been hearing him for over 20 years so I guess i'm familiar.

Dude is funny to hear but no way he's good.

he may not be as good as he used to be (he is getting old) but when he was with Michael Kay he was pretty damn good. he was the only that could keep Kay honest and actually doing his job. they should tem them up both again on TV or Radio.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'd rather be run over by a bus full of women Jeter gave herpes to than spend one minute listening to that hideous bloviating asshole Craig carton.

The Nationals have clinched NL home-field with the win in Game 1 of the doubleheader today. The Dodgers can clinch the #2 seed with either a win or a Cardinals loss.

The Angels can clinch home-field in the AL with either a win or an Orioles loss.

RGVNOE

Guess no Wacha for the playoffs. Thought it was way too late to get him ready anyway

Just hope this game doesn't cost us the division

I don't think this game alone has cost us the division, it's been the season as a whole, they've been so inconsistent along with Matheny's bad managing throughout the season

Damn Matheny, doesn't look like he's interested in the division title
He really needs to show more desperation with his bullpen moves. Pulling Rosenthal when he was struggling in the ninth inning of that game a week or so ago was brilliant.

Stop leaving your pitchers to die on the mound, sheesh.

aFIGurANT

Damn Matheny, doesn't look like he's interested in the division title
We play nine man. I've got no problem letting him pitch over Marco right now. He has earned a really short hook but he's looking alright this half inning.

Also I want to play Kershaw already. No way in hell we can hit Cahill tonight. Just give him (Cahill) the Cy already.

RGVNOE

He really needs to show more desperation with his bullpen moves. Pulling Rosenthal when he was struggling in the ninth inning of that game a week or so ago was brilliant.

Stop leaving your pitchers to die on the mound, sheesh.

He still thinks he's a catcher, trying instill confidence seems to be more important than winning to him

Top Bottom