• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2014 Season |OT2| - Derek Jeter Appreciation Thread

hemtae

Well at least Red Sox didn't do as bad as 2012. I guess I should hope aboard the Royals bandwagon for the playoffs.

Has there ever been a franchise that finished in last place, won the WS the next season, and finished back in last place the next season? What did the 96/97/98 Marlins do?

Malo

Banned
Has there ever been a franchise that finished in last place, won the WS the next season, and finished back in last place the next season? What did the 96/97/98 Marlins do?
Red Sox made history by winning 90 then losing 90 then winning 90 and losing 90 again in 4 consecutive seasons.

rekameohs

Banned

I can't think of any in recent memory. 96 Marlins weren't that bad.

edit: http://www.sports-reference.com/blo...nners-who-finished-last-the-following-season/

Yep, they're the first. 2013 Red Sox and 1997 Marlins are the only ones to win the World Series, then get last place the following season. Only the 2012-14 Red Sox went last -> WS -> last.

edit2: Giants didn't get last in 2013, they got fourth.

aFIGurANT

I think I heard that this will be the first time that has happened.

Another first this year besides Hughes (Minnesota) and his K/BB is Aroldis Chapman averaging 100 mph on a fastball throughout the season. Unless he tanked it recently he was on pace for that like two weeks ago.

Any more I'm missing?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Rockies dig themselves out of last place and manage to finish second to last in their division.

Well played men. Well played!

Top Bottom