• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 POSTSEASON |OT| Screw you, Satan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDeluis

He should have hit that deep fly ball today a little deeper. Can't even hit a homer in an important playoff game smh.

I think that might have been the hardest hit ball out of all the starting lineup. So embarrassing.

Poor Kershaw literally had to do everything in the game just to try to get win.

Kikè better start tonight. Jimmy Rollins better startt tonight as well. What was the point getting a veteran player who has experience in the postseason if you're just going to have him as a cheerleader in the dugout.

zroid

Banned
The pitching on the other hand needs massive work. The only pitcher I'm honestly comfortable about bringing back is Stroman. Not sure if they can afford Price, and Dickey will be 41.

I still feel pretty good about Dickey. As a knuckleballer he's got more endurance than most, and he doesn't have the same innings on his arm like a Buehrle.

Optimistic about Sanchez too. We'll see though. There's going to be a free agent signing I'm sure, we just don't know if it'll be a Price calibre guy (probably not), or someone with slightly less pedigree. I think there were reports Toronto was interested in Doug Fister.

As for Hutch... well... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Beckx

Ohtani just had the worst start of the year. Didn't even make it 3 innings. Dammit.

My Freshman year elective in college was a Baseball in Literature class. It was pretty awesome, even though I overslept through half of the classes and still received a B+.

I skipped most of my sports law class but still got a B, but am still paying for that with panic dreams years later.

He's only 27 so he has plenty of time to turn his luck around in the postseason.

The whole "Kershaw chokes in the playoffs" thing is pretty overstated anyway, since he's really only had a couple of truly bad games, mixed in with ones like the Matt Adams game where he was dominating most of the game, then was kept in too long. Or something like tonight where he just got no run support.

He walked three guys and gave up a two run double. He's getting paid to be the guy who doesn't do stuff like that. If not for his 7th it would have been 1-1 after 9 innings.

Is it weird if I look as this a good experience for the Cubs no matter what happens? I know you are supposed to take advantage of every playoff series you are in and would avoid a Nationals situation. But nevertheless I think playing your rivals in a playoff experience is a great thing.

jbug617

Banned
100915_nym_degrom_murphy_chair_med_mze5nd2p.gif

Also, you're Clayton Kershaw and you give up a go-ahead homer to an average hitter who had 14 homers on the year? A guy who is in single digit HRs most years?

Kershaw shit the bed. It's not the fact that he gave up runs, but how he gave up those runs.

Today's picks. Cards over Cubs once again :( Dodgers over Mets tonight :(

Hendricks hasn't put up great numbers against St Louis and I see no reason for that to change tonight. They've hit him pretty hard historically. Most of the Cubs roster have never seen Garcia pitch and those that have do not have good numbers. I'm taking them for +165 on the run line, St Louis will be able to win by 2 or more.

Dodgers vs Mets is a toss up. Syndergaard is terrible on the road but oddly enough had a great start at Dodger stadium earlier this year, most likely because the Dodgers are terrible. Grienke has accomplished things no mere mortal is capable of this year though and I don't think the Mets can solve him tonight. There's no smart bets to be made on this one so I'm not going to throw money away.

The more I see of Maddon the more I'm realizing he's actually not that great of a manager and just has a good reputation

When you get out managed by Mike Matheny, you screwed up. Though to be fair Matheny did about as good as a manager could do. Pulled Lackey at a great time, used the right subs. Was actually really impressed last night

bebop242

The more I see of Maddon the more I'm realizing he's actually not that great of a manager and just has a good reputation

When you get out managed by Mike Matheny, you screwed up. Though to be fair Matheny did about as good as a manager could do. Pulled Lackey at a great time, used the right subs. Was actually really impressed last night

Maddon knows how to run a team, especially young ones, but his gametime management? Not so sure about that.

I didn't see anything last night from Maddon that was that egregious. Putting Strop in was bad, but he wanted him to get confidence. Rodney should be in tonight in a close game. Cubs have struggled against Lefties though.

I didn't see anything last night from Maddon that was that egregious. Putting Strop in was bad, but he wanted him to get confidence. Rodney should be in tonight in a close game. Cubs have struggled against Lefties though.

Lester should've been out a lot sooner.

Arrieta should have been out before the bases were loaded in the WC game. It worked out for Maddon, but that was because of a 109mph bullet hit straight to Russell. More often than not a couple runs score in that situation

JDeluis

No, fuck that. He's awful.

In the regular season yes, but he was batting better coming into September. Might as well try him out. I'm sure he's going to start in game 3. But everybody plays different in the postseason. Just look at how awful Gonzalez and Either were last night. Gonzalez has been awful in the post for the past 3 seasons. Crawford is usually great, but last night was just terrible. Ruggiano might start LF tonight.

AJ Ellis should continue to be the starting catcher, especially with Grandal shoulder problems. I can't believe Donnie was going to have him hit in the 9th in case Joc got on base.

JDeluis, I expect the same lineup except Yasmani in and Ellis out. Right handed pitcher going for the Mets.

I don't think Grandal should be starting. He is having serious shoulder problems. He gave an interview in Spanish that he is having major problems.

https://youtu.be/MBnou-Rp-80

Beckx

Things like this have happened to Kershaw too many times now.

Honestly, the solo shot isn't nearly as bad as three walks in the 7th. The guy fucked up. Badly.

When the wheels are falling off it's on the manager to see that and do something.

It comes down to how good the Mets (Wright in particular) were at working pitch counts early in the game.

Things like this have happened to Kershaw top many times now.

Honestly, the solo shot isn't nearly as bad as three walks in the 7th. The guy fucked up. Badly.
He pitched a good game. It was a pitching duel the entire way through. At some point, one of them had to break. Kershaw tried to carry the team on his back when they weren't producing. Same thing happened in his previous starts. It's not going to end until the offense can actually do their job.

With a lineup like this, there's no excuses as to why they can't score. deGrom pitched a hell of a game, but at the same time these guys can't give Clayton the support he needs.

bebop242

Lester should've been out a lot sooner.

Arrieta should have been out before the bases were loaded in the WC game. It worked out for Maddon, but that was because of a 109mph bullet hit straight to Russell. More often than not a couple runs score in that situation

That would be true if the Cubs had an above average bullpen. I don't blame him for riding the starters.

What ruined Donny last night was not having Nicasio. He's been solid lately vs righties and he would of been a better selection than Baez at that situation. My lineup would be:

Joc
Kendrick
Seager
Turner
Ethier
Utley
Ellis
Grienke
Kike

Adrian's still hurt and it's showing on his swings. I want to use Yasmani but Ellis has a 11 game hit streak(according to Dodger Talk). Kike/Joc duo is for spark something up.

JDeluis

He pitched a good game. It was a pitching duel the entire way through. At some point, one of them had to break. Kershaw tried to carry the team on his back when they weren't producing. Same thing happened in his previous starts. It's not going to end until the offense can actually do their job.

With a lineup like this, there's no excuses as to why they can't score. deGrom pitched a hell of a game, but at the same time these guys can't give Clayton the support he needs.

Well written post on last night game. It's too bad Kershaw gets automatically blamed for the whole game.

That would be true if the Cubs had an above average bullpen. I don't blame him for riding the starters.

Cubs bullpen isn't elite, but it's still good.

Probably almost any relief pitcher in the Cubs pen is better than Lester (or Arrieta) 3rd time through the order and especially 4th time through the order

Bruce Bochy is a manager that understands this, and that's why he has three rings since 2010. TLR understood this and I maintain that his managing of the 2011 postseason is the gold standard for managing in the playoff

bebop242

Cubs bullpen isn't elite, but it's still good.

Probably almost any relief pitcher in the Cubs pen is better than Lester (or Arrieta) 3rd time through the order and especially 4th time through the order

In a high pressure situation, I expect the Cubs bullpen to choke more times than not. I have no confidence at all. My main concern for today's game is actually the bullpen and Rizzo/Bryant.

It's not the offense that made him walk three batters in a row (not counting the sacrifice) or put him at 113 pitches in the 6th inning.

After the 3rd inning, this was just a very subpar game for Kershaw aside from some strikeouts.

BFIB

Is it weird if I look as this a good experience for the Cubs no matter what happens? I know you are supposed to take advantage of every playoff series you are in and would avoid a Nationals situation. But nevertheless I think playing your rivals in a playoff experience is a great thing.
Not at all. Cubs fans regardless of how deep they go should be happy. Toughest division in the game and still won 97 games.

I thought they would finish with around 86 wins, then really blow the doors wide open next year. Just think too, the club has a lot of money to spend.

zychi

Banned
Not at all. Cubs fans regardless of how deep they go should be happy. Toughest division in the game and still won 97 games.

I thought they would finish with around 86 wins, then really blow the doors wide open next year. Just think too, the club has a lot of money to spend.

I expected them to get to the Wild Card game, as of yesterday they were officially pass my expectations for this year.

Now I want blood.

Why I love this team more than most years. They actually seem to like each other.

Jake and Dubs wouldn't stop cackling laughing for like 20 seconds then Murph answered a question and started it with looking at Jake and just saying "That's messed up, Jake."

Was hysterical.

zroid

Banned
perfectchaos007 gets his wish. Tepera is replacing Cecil. It's a good choice, he's been pretty solid outside of being a little homer prone, which, well, what could possibly go wrong in Arlington...

BumRush

Jake and Dubs wouldn't stop cackling laughing for like 20 seconds then Murph answered a question and started it with looking at Jake and just saying "That's messed up, Jake."

Was hysterical.

Maaan, now I wish I stayed up after the final out. You don't have a link, do you Frozen?

Why I love this team more than most years. They actually seem to like each other.

They're young and playing in NY. What's not to love?

I had a huge argument in the beginning of the season when my dad and I were watching the preseason workouts where TC or another coach said something to the effect of:

"They love to compete against one another and we encourage it".

I felt that it was a bad thing to encourage, considering these 25 guys should be competing against other teams and not themselves.

His argument was that them competing against one another is a sign of respect/team camaderie.

Man, he knew he was right and now I feel stupid for thinking otherwise. These Mets gel so well together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom