• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 POSTSEASON |OT| Screw you, Satan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
david_wright.0.gif

GnawtyDog

Banned
I mean that is literally the fundimental basis of pitching. I cant simplify it more than that.

I am not asking. It's not something foreign.

What might be foreign to you is Game 1 and Game 4 of the NLDS last year. Both games where the Dodgers gave Kershaw run support, had a sound lead and Kershaw blew up both games. (Cards came from behind). So in short, that line of thinking is irrelevant in many cases. There are many things to take into consideration, like fatigue, pitch count, innings pitched and the opposition simply having good at bats (after 2-3 times around the order) and pouring it on in a string.

In short, run support is not Kershaw's problem like it was suggested.

That isn't relevant in many cases, teams come back and pound a pitcher on mid-late innings all the time, changing leads after having deficits. Specially with Kershaw in the post-season. Last year was a perfect example for the two games he pitched I believe.

yes it is! if you have a lead you pitch different than if you don't or if you are tied.

GnawtyDog

Banned
yes it is! if you have a lead you pitch different than if you don't or if you are tied.

It's irrelevant on outcome in many cases. Not sure what's there to argue or explain for a billionth time. Plenty of examples to look (not just with Kershaw, and the two examples I provided). It's baseball.

The person that put forth the argument and said "Yes it's" - as in all the time "being relevant" to outcome can not address two examples where that plays the opposite. If he really knew baseball he would understand - it's Baseball 101 - as he puts it.

It's irrelevant on outcome in many cases. Not sure what's there to argue or explain for a billionth time. Plenty of examples to look (not just with Kershaw, and the two examples I provided). It's baseball.

So the way one pitches is irrelavant to the outcome? Oh wait "it's baseball!". Now I get it. You should have just said that sooner.

No it is not. You know literally nothing about baseball if you dont think pitching aggresively to K batters and give your team a chance when you have no margine for error is different than pitching to contact or defensively. It changes games every single day they play baseball.

I shouldn't HAVE to explain this.

Choomp

Banned
I'm really impressed with game 1. Absolutely no words for DeGrom, also considering how they kind of limped into the post I was really happy to see everyone give great at bats against Kershaw. Wright had that great AB in the first, and Granderson's at bat was key to sealing the deal of having Kershaw tired out and getting him out of there. Just, maybe have Clippard in a lesser role for now on, Robles and Reed could handle the 8th inning duties maybe.

GnawtyDog

Banned
So the way one pitches is irrelavant to the outcome? Oh wait "it's baseball!". Now I get it. You should have just said that sooner.

That's not the argument being made, nor the overall suggestion being made...but nice try, like your previous comment. Not that I have said that it is not relevant. It takes a bit of reading comprehension to understand there is a difference although it's clear as day from my pov.

No it is not. You know literally nothing about baseball if you dont think pitching aggresively to K batters and give your team a chance when you have no margine for error is different than pitching to contact or defensively. It changes games every single day they play baseball.

I shouldn't HAVE to explain this.

Why are you doing so anyway? I didn't ask, you volunteered.

BTW you have yet to address how it's relevant on the outcome of the two games I mentioned.

That's not the argument being made, nor the overall suggestion being made...but nice try. Not that I have said that it is not relevant. It takes a bit of reading comprehension to understand there is a difference although it's clear as day from my pov.

Are you aware that the word irrelavant means "not relevant"?

GnawtyDog

Banned
Man. The worst thing about the day off tomorrow is I have to wait an extra 24 hours to be put out of my misery.

lol... it's not as bad as being a Dodger fan. You pray everyday Donnie gets the boot. Around post-season time the cries get louder. The type of manager that can get you into the post-season (albeit the roster + two cy-youngs injury free do) and the type of manager that will never get you to the World Series/win. Then comes the argument, what if he does it this year? "Unfair to Donnie to say that - look he got us here"......Cycle repeats over and over.

You have to sit and watch the Giants get the world series coming from the wildcard, last year with BUM as their only ace. Bochy doesn't get enough credit.

lol... it's not as bad as being a Dodger fan. You pray everyday Donnie gets the boot. Around post-season time the cries get louder.
Donny has been out smarted every series and thinks post season experience would help him. Starting Crawford and Joc was a bad choice. Kike had the better second.half. Injured Puig is way better than Crawford. When Terry started switching players I thought Donny would too. Never did. I also give blame to McGwire. Not discussing or helping batters out adjusting to DeGrom's heater. But tonight it,would,of took good read because DeGrom was on point.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Donny has been out smarted every series and thinks post season experience would help him. Starting Crawford and Joc was a bad choice. Kike had the better second.half. Injured Puig is way better than Crawford. When Terry started switching players I thought Donny would too. Never did. I also give blame to McGwire. Not discussing or helping batters out adjusting to DeGrom's heater. But tonight it,would,of took good read because DeGrom was on point.

Next season barring an injury to Kershaw and re-signing Greinke we'll be here again if he is not fired. I would love to be proven wrong. That would be a birthday present. Him winning would be great too obv...but it's so unlikely that the unknown of another manager provides better relief.

Next season barring an injury to Kershaw and re-signing Greinke we'll be here again if he is not fired. I would love to be proven wrong. That would be a birthday present.
I hope your right on re signing Grienke. Game 2 tomorrow. Hoping for a different outcome. gg's on game 1 metsgaf

So Kershaw's legacy is pretty much done at this point, no?

Unless he pitches a fucking gem in Game 4 (assuming there is one), I don't see how he lives this down.

zychi

Banned
Even Lebron got rings so there are many more years ahead of him ;)

But yeah he's no Kobe or Koufax.

Kobe rode Shaq and Pau's coattails to rings.

Lebron got rings because he rode Bosh and Wade. When he had to do what Kershaw is, he failed miserably, and set Finals records for worst shooting percentages ever.

jman2050

Lebron got rings because he rode Bosh and Wade. When he had to do what Kershaw is, he failed miserably, and set Finals records for worst shooting percentages ever.

Are we really reframing last year's finals as "failed miserably" on Lebron's part? Are people really that desperate?

GnawtyDog

Banned

The Dodgers are far from a one man show. My boy Greinke exist...glad he does too.

Not that basketball and baseball can be equated. The point was that there is redemption for chokers (and obviously calling a player a choker is at many times a hot subject for debate - since it's a subjective opinion).

lol... it's not as bad as being a Dodger fan..

Oh no you don't.

There is no way an LA sports fan can claim anything when it comes to heartbreak like Toronto fan can. The Dodgers have a legit chance every single year thanks to that pocketbook. They draw 3 million without trying and have a rich and storied history and tradition.

All Toronto fan has is.... Nothing. No shred of hope in any year since joe carter. This is a he first sliver of light those poor schmucks have seen and they are having their hearts torn out. and you're going to say it's harder being a dodger fan?

For shame. For shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom