• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 POSTSEASON |OT| Screw you, Satan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Oh no you don't.

There is no way an LA sports fan can claim anything when it comes to heartbreak like Toronto fan can. The Dodgers have a legit chance every single year thanks to that pocketbook. They draw 3 million without trying and have a rich and storied history and tradition.

All Toronto fan has is.... Nothing. No shred of hope in any year since joe carter. This is a he first sliver of light those poor schmucks have seen and they are having their hearts torn out. and you're going to say it's harder being a dodger fan?

For shame. For shame.

I could make an equivalency but the one best suited to describe it is so dirty..... It's not something I usually post about. Trust me, it's worse.

No it is not. You know literally nothing about baseball if you dont think pitching aggresively to K batters and give your team a chance when you have no margine for error is different than pitching to contact or defensively. It changes games every single day they play baseball.

I shouldn't HAVE to explain this.
To be fair, isn't that just a mental thing? You should be attacking hitters no matter the score. Pitching to the score seems like a recipe for disaster, especially in the playoffs.

Couleurs

So Kershaw's legacy is pretty much done at this point, no?

Unless he pitches a fucking gem in Game 4 (assuming there is one), I don't see how he lives this down.

He's only 27 so he has plenty of time to turn his luck around in the postseason.

The whole "Kershaw chokes in the playoffs" thing is pretty overstated anyway, since he's really only had a couple of truly bad games, mixed in with ones like the Matt Adams game where he was dominating most of the game, then was kept in too long. Or something like tonight where he just got no run support.

GnawtyDog

Banned
To be fair, isn't that just a mental thing? You should be attacking hitters no matter the score. Pitching to the score seems like a recipe for disaster, especially in the playoffs.

You can sometimes tell the approach is different and sometimes you really can't tell. Kershaw for example is naturally a strikeout pitcher no matter the position he's at.

Not to mention instances when a pitcher can't close out an inning after being given a lead in the inning prior. Can it really be said that pitching strategy changed because of a lead, and if so that the outcome was positive (and direct result of that change in strategy?), after given a lead? There are many holes to that line of thinking. As a general rule you would expect such logicality of behavior (and events) but it doesn't always play like that and even at times where it plays like that other context within the game blur the lines so much that it practically makes that line of thought irrelevant on outcome - it's an inning by inning dilemma - get the outs or get hit (specially in the playoffs). And there are many examples to back that up. The more you watch baseball the more you understand it's not a subject of black and white.

Its the way your taught to pitch, the way your catcher calls you, the way you feel more comfortabke getting out. It's different for every pitcher. A contact pitcher like Jon Niese for instance will attack low but pitch defensively and avoid the upper right corner to keep the ball low. Greinke attacks the corners and pitches to contact with either situation but will use his breaking pitches as a finisher rather than a disruptor or junk ball more. Kershaw attacks low and the outer corner on righties with his slider, then pulls inside with his heat.

Its not a mental thing, it is the same principle of a batter shortening his swing in certain situations. Its just a variable in situational pitching.

Kobe rode Shaq and Pau's coattails to rings.

Lebron got rings because he rode Bosh and Wade. When he had to do what Kershaw is, he failed miserably, and set Finals records for worst shooting percentages ever.

dahell2.png
I'm no Lebron stan by any means but the dude won two back to back finals mvp trophies in 2012 and 2013 on near 50% fg% averaging near 24ppg in the playoffs.

Where is Curry's trophy, oh I'm sorry it's in a role players hands. Give credit where it's due man...

Superagent Scott Boras has more to say about Matt Harvey.

"I think the best thing to say is we're in the playoffs," he said. "We're going to let the playoffs do what they're going to do. All of those discussion [SIC], his planning, are going to be I'm sure after the season."

That is some doublespeak right there. And possibly the worst quote ever.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseb...-gave-his-arm-already-for-the-mets-1.10943818
I don't even know what the heyl that means....

Branduil

Oh no you don't.

There is no way an LA sports fan can claim anything when it comes to heartbreak like Toronto fan can. The Dodgers have a legit chance every single year thanks to that pocketbook. They draw 3 million without trying and have a rich and storied history and tradition.

All Toronto fan has is.... Nothing. No shred of hope in any year since joe carter. This is a he first sliver of light those poor schmucks have seen and they are having their hearts torn out. and you're going to say it's harder being a dodger fan?

For shame. For shame.

Excuse me, do I see two fanbases that aren't the Rangers' complaining about heartbreak? Because...

He's only 27 so he has plenty of time to turn his luck around in the postseason.

The whole "Kershaw chokes in the playoffs" thing is pretty overstated anyway, since he's really only had a couple of truly bad games, mixed in with ones like the Matt Adams game where he was dominating most of the game, then was kept in too long. Or something like tonight where he just got no run support.

right and thats why he was pulled when he was

baez couldn't shut it down like any dodger fan knew he wouldn't.. he's a hard thrower but no real "stuff"

pretty sure baez also helped open the floodgates last year against the cardinals too

BFIB

Anyone would love to have Kershaw on their pitching staff. He pitched well enough last night, Dodgers couldn't figure out DeGrom.

Superagent Scott Boras has more to say about Matt Harvey.

"I think the best thing to say is we're in the playoffs," he said. "We're going to let the playoffs do what they're going to do. All of those discussion [SIC], his planning, are going to be I'm sure after the season."

That is some doublespeak right there. And possibly the worst quote ever.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseb...-gave-his-arm-already-for-the-mets-1.10943818

Lol.

"We"?????

Scott please.

Anyone would love to have Kershaw on their pitching staff. He pitched well enough last night, Dodgers couldn't figure out DeGrom.

Yeah, this narrative of blaming Kershaw for last night's game is dishonest.

He pitched well into the 6 and the Mets were bailed out of some bad defense. The Murphy HR isn't a big deal, seeing as how if Wright didn't hit that 2 run single, the game would've been going to extras.

A-Gon also got a hold of a few pitches that would've been gone if straightened out.

All in all, the Dodgers are still a threat past Kershaw and past Greinke.

Beckx

Yesterday was an amazing day of baseball. I fell asleep after Wright put the game away though. Stupid west coast games.

Man. The worst thing about the day off tomorrow is I have to wait an extra 24 hours to be put out of my misery.

Jays have a real shot at winning tomorrow's game.

Day off right now is the best thing for the team. They can take three from the Rangers. I have faith.

Jays have a real shot at winning tomorrow's game.

Day off right now is the best thing for the team. They can take three from the Rangers. I have faith.

Not sure if you're aware, but I'm just about perfect in predicting ALDS outcomes.

On Sunday, Jays win, 3-2. 'Grats Jays fans. It's not over yet. The series WILL return to Toronto.

It has been ordained.

Literally none of this makes sense.

Sure it does. The Jays were supposed to win every game from the end of the trade deadline to game #4 of the World Series. But selfish Gibby had to have his way.

If the Jays get eliminated tomorrow (and I expect they will), it'll suck, but worse will be starting the 2016 season without any significant upgrades to the roster. I noticed that Jeff Blair had some lines about the same group coming back next year. If Rogers' writers are already sneaking that message in there... Not a good omen.

Sure it does. The Jays were supposed to win every game from the end of the trade deadline to game #4 of the World Series. But selfish Gibby had to have his way.

If the Jays get eliminated tomorrow (and I expect they will), it'll suck, but worse will be starting the 2016 season without any significant upgrades to the roster. I noticed that Jeff Blair had some lines about the same group coming back next year. If Rogers' writers are already sneaking that message in there... Not a good omen.

The roster is just fine on the hitting side and everyone is coming back. Our biggest hole is first base.

We have Saunders and Travis to figure out as well.

Starting pitching is going to be a mess so we're going to have to move a piece or two in the offseason plus sign a free agent named David Price.

Sanjuro

My favorite thing about that scene is I don't believe he is a commentator. He just has a booth and is yelling play-by-play to himself.

BigAT

My favorite thing about that scene is I don't believe he is a commentator. He just has a booth and is yelling play-by-play to himself.

He's not even at a game. He's strapped down in a padded room screaming "THE JET STOLE HOME, THE JET STOLE HOME!" as the orderlies desperately try to hold him down while a nurse injects him with a sedative.

The pitching on the other hand needs massive work. The only pitcher I'm honestly comfortable about bringing back is Stroman. Not sure if they can afford Price, and Dickey will be 41.

Exactly. The Jays were undone a lot in the 1st with the same rotation / bullpen they're likely to start 2016 with.

ROSINBAGGER!

RUTABAGAH!

Rookie of the Year doesn't hold up, but I loved it when I was a kid.

Angels in the Outfield however... That box lies. It is not a flat out wonderful film.

The one thing that has always bothered me about the mighty ducks films now that I am older (even though I still love the first 2) is why Iceland is the "bad guy" in the second one. First of all Icelandic people are super nice and second they aren't even good at hockey...

They should have chosen Sweden or Finland or Russia. a place actually good at hockey

The one thing that has always bothered me about the mighty ducks films now that I am older (even though I still love the first 2) is why Iceland is the "bad guy" in the second one. First of all Icelandic people are super nice and second they aren't even good at hockey...

They should have chosen Sweden or Finland or Russia. a place actually good at hockey

Bugged me more that they Ducks won a city championship or whatever and then became by fiat the best youth team in the US.

Beckx

A discussion of baseball films without The Natural. Sigh.

where's sf2fanatic, he's my generation.

Watching the NPB playoffs on delay. Teams I root for are cursed. Ohtani's slider is filthy today though.

A discussion of baseball films without The Natural. Sigh.

where's sf2fanatic, he's my generation.

Watching the NPB playoffs on delay. Teams I root for are cursed. Ohtani's slider is filthy today though.

We really should be talking about movies like Bull Durham or Field of Dreams.

Kevin Costner loved those baseball films.

Field of Dreams led me to read the Iowa Baseball Confederacy, which is probably the coolest baseball book I ever read.

My Freshman year elective in college was a Baseball in Literature class. It was pretty awesome, even though I overslept through half of the classes and still received a B+.

We got to read stuff like Casey at the Bat or Damn Yankees. I recall reading The Natural before seeing the film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom