• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 Regular Season |OT| Pickin' Up the Pace of Play

eznark

Banned
Braves win that deal with Wisler, easily. Padres will be a run team to watch though. Lots of fast games at Petco this year.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
100+ losses here we come.

Amazing that the braves got rid of Upton. Don't care about losing kimbrel. Glad the braves got something good back.

Makes sense for both teams. Upton may profit from a chage of scenery and the Braves got back some value in Wisler and the 41st pick. The Braves will be terrible with or without Kimbrel, having an elite closer on a terrible team is just a waste. I mean the Royals could have gotten a king's ransom for Soria but decided to hang to him and lost him for basically nothing.

edit: I am not that high on Wisler, so if you think he really is a top 50ish prospect the Braves won the deal.

Talon

So Kimbrel and BJ for two one-year starters, Wisler, and a raw athlete corner outfielder...and a 2nd round pick.

I like it. Maximizing a reliever's value? What is this madness?

Sanjuro

Makes sense for both teams. Upton may profit from a chage of scenery and the Braves got back some value in Wisler and the 41st pick. The Braves will be terrible with or without Kimbrel, having an elite closer on a terrible team is just a waste. I mean the Royals could have gotten a king's ransom for Soria but decided to hang to him and lost him for basically nothing.

HxYv0EL.gif

Malvingt2

Mark Bowman ‏@mlbbowman 37s38 seconds ago
The Padres will be responsible for all of the $46.3 million Upton is owed over the final three years of his contract.

wow

The Padres will be responsible for all of the $46.3 million Upton is owed over the final three years of his contract.

wow

Maybin and Quentin are owed nearly $30 million if you include the buyouts, so not a big deal imo.

edit: Starting the season with my annual MLB the Show fantasy draft. The question is who should I draft? Stanton or Trout? Leaning towards Stanton because dingers...

BFIB

wow
Win for the Braves then. And they get the Pads best prospect?

Well it's not like Maybin and the corpse of Carlos Quentin are great playes. So it's basically just a swap of bad contracts.
All 3 are projected to be below average players, a smidge above replacement level. But Upton is owed a lot more money than Maybin and Quentin combined. Doesn't sound like cash is involved.

Kingbrave

It's just the shock of it. The day before our season begins and boom. Kimbrel would of definitely been wasted for us and fuck Melvin. Nice salary dumps.

Enron

Banned
The Braves will be free of Quentin after 2015 (he is owed 8 mil, plus 3 mil buyout). Maybin is owed 7 mil for 2015, and 8 mil for 2016.

BJMelvin is owed like 46.5 mil or something
Kimbrel is owed 33 mil

Braves will save around 53.5 million over the next 3 seasons with this deal. And they got SD's best pitching prospect and a toolsy system top20 OFer.

This trade rules. Thank you idiot SD GM for existing!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

edit: I am not that high on Wisler, so if you think he really is a top 50ish prospect the Braves won the deal.

Wisler's a middle of the rotation kind of prospect.

They have Ian Kennedy as their sole rotation guy that's leaving through free agency, and honestly, they can afford to resign him. I think Preller thinks its easy to lure pitchers to Petco (and he's probably right).

Where the hell is Upton even gonna play?

He's gonna back up his brother, I guess. Weird deal, as a Padres fan I'm not sure I entirely understand it. Benoit was a very servicable closer...

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The Braves will be free of Quentin after 2015 (he is owed 8 mil, plus 3 mil buyout). Maybin is owed 7 mil for 2015, and 8 mil for 2016.

BJMelvin is owed like 46.5 mil or something
Kimbrel is owed 33 mil

Braves will save around 53.5 million over the next 3 seasons with this deal. And they got SD's best pitching prospect and a toolsy system top20 OFer.

This trade rules. Thank you idiot SD GM for existing!

So you're celebrating having cheap ownership.

Just because they cut payroll doesn't mean they're going to spend it.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Carlos Quentin lf
3 years/$27M (2013-15), plus 2016 option

3 years/$27M (2013-15), plus 2016 mutual option
signed extension with San Diego 7/22/12
13:$9.5M, 14:$9.5M, 15:$8M, 16:$10M mutual option ($3M buyout with 320 games played in 2013-15)
no-trade protection, beginning 7/22/12
1 year/$7.025M (2012)
acquired by San Diego in trade from Chicago White Sox 12/31/11
signed by San Diego 1/17/12 (avoided arbitration)
1 year/$5.05M (2011)
re-signed by White Sox 1/18/11 (avoided arbitration)
1 year/$3.2M (2010)
re-signed by White Sox 1/16/10 (avoided arbitration)
1 year/$0.55M (2009)
re-signed by White Sox 2/24/09
1 year/$0.4M (2008)
acquired by White Sox in trade from Arizona 12/3/07
signed by White Sox 2/27/08
1 year/$0.381M (2007)
re-signed 2/07
1 year (2006)
contract purchased 7/06
drafted by Arizona 2003 (1-29) (Stanford)
$1.1M signing bonus
agent: CAA Sports (Brodie Van Wagenen)
ML service: 8.065

Cameron Maybin cf
5 years/$25M (2012-16), plus 2017 option

5 years/$25M (2012-16), plus 2017 club option
signed extension with San Diego 3/3/12
$0.5M signing bonus
12:$0.5M, 13:$3M, 14:$5M, 15:$7M, 16:$8M, 17:$9M club option ($1M buyout)
placed on restricted list 7/23/14 (positive amphetamine test)
1 year/$0.4291M (2011)
acquired by San Diego in trade from Florida 11/13/10
signed by San Diego 2/11
1 year/$0.405M (2010)
re-signed by Florida 3/2/10
1 year/$0.4M (2009)
renewed by Florida 3/09
1 year/$0.39M (2008)
acquired by Florida in trade from Detroit 12/4/07
renewed by Florida 3/2/08
1 year (2007)
contract purchased by Detroit 8/17/07
drafted 2005 (1-10)
signed 9/05, $2.65M signing bonus
agent: Brian Goldberg
ML service: 5.073

aFIGurANT

Damn but that's a megaton. A very weird megaton with the whole "trade each other's shit back and forth" aspect, but still very interesting. I'm not sure how much more value Kimbrel provides over Benoit but it's gonna be something. And the fact that the whole SD rebuild only cost only one cream of the crop prospect is something as well.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Maybe the Yankees!

All I see this as is a desperate attempt for the Padres to snag a postseason birth with solidifying the closer position.

I mean, from a major league only, 2015-only perspective, its nothing but upside in adding Kimbrel and nothing else.

But they also don't have Dodger-like infinite money and are basically running out of chips to fuel these short-term trades in the future.

Damn but that's a megaton. A very weird megaton with the whole "trade each other's shit back and forth" aspect, but still very interesting. I'm not sure how much more value Kimbrel provides over Benoit but it's gonna be something. And the fact that the whole SD rebuild only cost only one cream of the crop prospect is something as well.

I mean he's a fringe top-50 guy. Not exactly trading away Addison Russel or something.

Top Bottom