• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 Regular Season |OT| Pickin' Up the Pace of Play

Would you rather have him playing SS over Castro?

Honestly besides the 1st game, Castro has been pretty damn good this season defensively. I don't know right now.

I would rather put Castro at a place he is comfortable defending then move him to 2B and be a possible dumpster fire. I doubt Addison will be.

But damn if this is our lineup tomorrow

Fowler
Soler
Rizzo
Bryant
Castro
Coghlan
Castillo
Wood
Russell

Loco4Coco

Honestly besides the 1st game, Castro has been pretty damn good this season defensively. I don't know right now.

I would rather put Castro at a place he is comfortable defending then move him to 2B and be a possible dumpster fire. I doubt Addison will be.

Fowler
Soler
Rizzo
Bryant
Castro
Coghlan
Castillo
Wood
Russell

Like ccf says, Castro has been great this season. So i'm indifferent.

Now where does Javy go? OF?

Fair enough, also that potential line-up, god damn.

Macattk15

So this is gonna be the kind of season it is? After years of shitty offense and awesome pitching ... we're gonna have good offense and shitty pitching?

Josh5890

I've heard Javy to 3B, Bryant to LF if it comes to that.

If we are in contention and he's in the minors I could see them making a deal around him.

What about Castro to 3rd. Russell at SS and Baez at 2B? I agree with possibly trading Baez at the deadline to get an extra piece if needed. I really hope he can fix his swing though.

Velcro Fly

Castro is only 25. Please don't trade him. He's been really good this year.

Amazing to think with a decent season he could be 25 years old with 1,000 hits.

Josh5890

Castro is only 25. Please don't trade him. He's been really good this year.

Amazing to think with a decent season he could be 25 years old with 1,000 hits.

Yea I don't get all of the trade Castro talk. Has the kid made some bone head 9 year old plays, absolutely. But he has produced a hell of a lot better after Sveum left town. I wouldn't trade him unless someone offers St. Peter's Basillica for #13.

I'd keep Castro at SS. He'll still only be 28. I think Russell could be a better defensive SS than Castro, but I think he'd also be a better 3B. Then he could beef up about 10-15 pounds and add some more power to his bat. Bryant can also play the OF. I would go with:

C - Schwarber
1B - Rizzo
2B - Alcantara/Baez/LaStella/Torres
SS - Castro
3B - Russell
LF - Bryant
CF - Almora
RF - Soler

Josh5890

I'd keep Castro at SS. He'll still only be 28. I think Russell could be a better defensive SS than Castro, but I think he'd also be a better 3B. Then he could beef up about 10-15 pounds and add some more power to his bat. Bryant can also play the OF. I would go with:

C - Schwarber
1B - Rizzo
2B - Alcantara/Baez/LaStella/Torres
SS - Castro
3B - Russell
LF - Bryant
CF - Almora
RF - Soler

Starting Rotation:

Lester
Arietta
Wood
Hendricks
Hammel

Bullpen has been good, although overworked. If the rotation starts to stretch out more as the season goes on we might have something special.

Cardinals calling up Navy grad Mitch Harris for the Washington series, first graduate of Naval Academy in 94 years to appear in the big leagues

Good story, hope things work out for him

thefro

Fowler
Soler
Rizzo
Bryant
Castro
Coghlan
Castillo
Wood
Russell

Cubs lineup from 4/20/14

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=340420116

Bonifacio
Sweeney
Rizzo
Schierholtz
Castro
Olt
Castillo
Barney

eznark

Banned
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-untimely-collapse-of-the-milwaukee-brewers/

But really, the problem isn’t what happens with the rest of the season. This season is done, even if it’s hard to admit. The problem is what happens with the immediate future of the franchise, because there’s limited pieces to sell. Gomez and Lucroy are each extremely valuable, but to such an extent that the team isn’t likely to consider moving either, and while that’s defensible in both cases, that presents a problem. There’s no Johnny Cueto or Aroldis Chapman or Cole Hamels here, no very appealing part that’s a clear trade scenario as the July deadline comes.

Look what’s left. Ramirez is 37 in June and already said 2015 is probably his final season. Lohse, Cotts and Gerardo Parra are free agents of limited value. Braun’s $105 million extension somehow still doesn’t start until next year. Garza is owed $37.5 million (including 2015) and has seen his K%-BB% decline every year since 2011. Rodriguez has been replacement-level over the last three years but has $13 million coming to him. Jean Segura has a long way to go to overcome his value-killing 2014. Everyone else is a nice supporting part at best — Davis, Gennett, Peralta — and the farm system routinely ranks near the bottom.

This is the trap of indecisiveness. The Brewers never could figure out whether they were coming or going, unwilling (or unable) to commit to a rebuild or go full speed ahead on contention. What’s left is a team that was built for mediocrity with a one-in-a-million chance of something more, and what’s come up instead is something considerably less. They’re not nearly as bad as what they’ve shown, it must again be said. But that’s just accelerated the obvious, really. The team that was stuck in the middle now is firmly at the bottom, with no timetable or obvious plan to change that reality.

COhCZ.gif

Top Bottom