• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 Regular Season |OT| Pickin' Up the Pace of Play

Alcantra is the one sent down for Russell. One of the talented younguns had to be sent down, and Alcantra hasn't been hitting so. Makes sense.

Best problem to have really. The only issues I could see is if Meatball doesn't stick to C full time. You can easily turn a nice pitching prospect for Alcantra though. Super utility guy.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-untimely-collapse-of-the-milwaukee-brewers/

COhCZ.gif
I want Aramis in a deadline deal as a Pinch Hitter. One of my favorite players of all time.

Someone explain Super Two to me in idiot terms please.
Normally, players must have accrued at least three years of MLB service time before they can be eligible for salary arbitration — or in other words, until they can negotiate their salary and not have it automatically set by their club. But certain players with less than three years of service time can also become eligible for arbitration, if they meet the following criteria:

● If they have less than three years of service time, but more than two.

● If they rank within the top 22% of all 2-year players in terms of service time.

So if a player finishes a season and is just shy of three years of service time (say, 2 years and 171 days) then MLB will award them Super Two status and they’ll be eligible for arbitration. Since these players are still under team control for another three seasons, that means Super Two players get four year of salary arbitration instead of the typical three.
http://www.fangraphs.com/library/business/super-two/

I went to bed frustrated that the Sox offense was anemic again and that they lost 3-0.
Needless to say that I was pleasantly surprised...

zychi

Banned

So how does this affect Russ and Bryant? I read someone on Twitter (maybe Gammons?) talking about it, but I thought the whole point of sitting Bryant was to prevent this?

e: it was rosenthal

For as much grief as the #Cubs took on Bryant, it’s only fair to note they promoted Bryant, Russell without regard for Super Two concerns.
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 2h2 hours ago
Both Bryant and Russell could qualify for an extra year of arbitration due to their early promotions, costing #Cubs millions.

BigAT

So how does this affect Russ and Bryant? I read someone on Twitter (maybe Gammons?) talking about it, but I thought the whole point of sitting Bryant was to prevent this?

"Since these players are still under team control for another three seasons, that means Super Two players get four year of salary arbitration instead of the typical three."

Jays-GAF:

If the record is terrible by the All Star Break, do you think AA and Gibbons are canned?

Or do you think ownership is waiting for a new team president before making those changes?

Jays-GAF:

If the record is terrible by the All Star Break, do you think AA and Gibbons are canned?

Or do you think ownership is waiting for a new team president before making those changes?

AA is there as long as Beeston is, so if Beeston really is out the door after this year, it's hard to imagine AA sticks around with a new president. Gibbons probably goes too, since he's AA's chosen manager, but at the same time, he also seems to be respected by the team, so I could see him being there a little longer. I don't think they get fired by the all-star break, but it's pretty iffy if they'll still be here in 2016.

Parch

Blue Jays can still use the injury excuse for poor play. The overall impression seems to be that this year's team was a pretty good build, so I don't think management has much to worry about regardless of the final record.

New president next year could shake it up, but I doubt anything happens this year.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

e: it was rosenthal

Naw, Super Two designation just determines their arbitration years, not the actual team control.

Now, the thing is, I'm not sure I'm up to date on the Cubs payroll situation. I always assumed that they had huge revenues and probably could afford to sign Bryant to a mega-deal if he pans out and is as good as advertised. I can't imagine they don't have huge revenues.

Yeah, should have been 15.

Not sure anything other than Lawrie getting killed by a ball to the head would satiate the Royals and their fans. Just for sliding late on a play that took a number of bizarre bounces and turns. Ridiculous.

Funny you should mention the number 15... that's how many times a member of the Royals has been hit by a pitch so far this year with zero ejections for anyone who isn't a Royal. The Royals are a target and when they stand up for themselves, they're the only ones who receive any punishment.

What would have satiated me is Ventura not getting ejected without warning by Jim Joyce after hitting Lawrie. Lawrie deserved to get plunked. It could have been over there (even WITH the unfair ejection), but then Josh Reddick had to talk shit Saturday night after the game. THEN in comes Scott Kazmir on Sunday with perfect flawless control for seven innings... oh except when he "accidentally" drilled Cain in the ankle, the one time all day he lost control. The A's were positively shocked that there was still bad blood on Sunday.

The lesson the Royals need to learn from this is to get smart and learn some plausible deniability like Kazmir.

devilhawk

Hererra suspended for 5 games. What a load of shit.
The fact that all MLB thought they could punish was 5 games and a fine for Ventura means this will be appealed down to nothing.

No reliever has ever been suspended for not hitting someone.

The MLBPA is already laughing.

Edit: Herrera is appealing. The MLB has 0 precedent here to give 5 games, it's laughable.

aFIGurANT

I wasn't being malicious on opening day you guys, but sorry if anything about the Miggy comment offended your MLB-gaffers. This is my main thread on GAF so I hope that you guys are OK with me being back to browsing/posting on here.

OT, I think there needs to be a warning thrown out by an ump way ahead of Saturday's game in Kauffman. Seems strange to not do so preemptively and with both sides taking on that responsibility to play a clean game. Seeing Lawrie enraged was good TV though, lol.

The MLB has 0 precedent here to give 5 games, it's laughable.

The pointing at the head showing intent is the difference. Setting precedence on this could be on the table.

If dude hadn't done that, then yes, there would be no reason to give a suspension.

Funny you should mention the number 15... that's how many times a member of the Royals has been hit by a pitch so far this year with zero ejections for anyone who isn't a Royal. The Royals are a target and when they stand up for themselves, they're the only ones who receive any punishment.

Heard this on the Royals radio broadcast after the game yesterday. The A's hadn't hit anyone with a pitch up until that slide, which was late for a number of reasons that could or could not be intentionally to injure. I get why the Royals would be frustrated because of those HBPs and other incidents, but there are ways to get payback and respect like pros and not come across like screaming maniacs.

The lesson the Royals need to learn from this is to get smart and learn some plausible deniability like Kazmir.

Absolutely. If Hererra tries to hit him the second time, gets tossed, walks away, well then that's baseball. No harm no foul. But the screaming and pointing to the head? That's just silly.

devilhawk

Heard this on the Royals radio broadcast after the game yesterday. The A's hadn't hit anyone with a pitch up until that slide, which was late for a number of reasons that could or could not be intentionally to injure. I get why the Royals would be frustrated because of those HBPs and other incidents, but there are ways to get payback and respect like pros and not come across like screaming maniacs.
There are a couple of facts that I can point to of how this has been completely bungled by the MLB.

Ventura was thrown out with no warning.

Kazmir intentionally threw at Cain and was allowed to stay in the game.

Our pitching coach was thrown out because he argued why Kazmir was allowed to stay in which resulted in our manager being tossed.

At this point Herrera probably just decided to get his money's worth. I don't know. He threw at Lawrie's ribs. Not his head. Behind his back.

Here is Kazmir's pitchf/x for fastballs for the last eight years, the pitch that hit Cain is circled:
Now for just this year, two seam fastballs are triangles:
One of these is not like the others... one of these is not the same...
Kazmir threw at Cain's knees. Cain hopped up and it hit his lower leg. I don't see where any of this "threw at his foot" nonsense came from. So now we have to ask ourselves if Kazmir just so happened to throw the worst two seam fastball in the last eight years on an outing in which he had pinpoint control.

Parch

Lawrie not making many friends in the league, but what do A's fans think of him?
Toronto friggin' loved the guy, but being Canadian helped. I'm also pretty sure that Toronto fans would never reverse the deal that brought Donaldson.

Lawrie not making many friends in the league, but what do A's fans think of him?

He has tattoos, dives around a lot, seems pretty blue collar, so so far so good is my take.

We'll see what kind of response he gets when he gets back to the Coliseum after this roady.

Ventura was thrown out with no warning.

That's great stuff... thanks for posting.

I'm not saying Kazmir didn't throw at the Cain. However, Ventura and Herrera should have been a hell of a lot smarter. If they were, they wouldn't be in the mess. Ventura throwing a hissy at Trout on Sunday, followed up be another tantrum against the A's didn't do him any favors from getting tossed. Then Herrera throwing at Lawrie twice... I mean come on. And then pointing to the head?

Drill some guys, sure. Just be smart about it.

Maybe it works for the Royals, and they get an "us against the world" vibe and go on to win it all. Who knows. Or maybe they spend so much time getting pissed off about stuff like this that they lose focus and games.

Just not doing themselves any favors with this act. All the new Royals fans at the K seem to like it though.

I think the "Herrera threatened to hit Lawrie's head" angle is absurd, and not in keeping with reality. Herrera threw hard heat well behind Lawrie. He could have easily beaned him, but did not. Dude has solid control with his fastball. It was a warning pitch. He knew given the vibe of the game that he would be tossed.

I've watched the replay a dozen or so times, because I'm a responsible adult who makes good use of his time.
:p
http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/42469262/v80707583/oakkc-ejections-ensue-when-lawrie-almost-hit

Lawrie turns and reacts to Herrera looking at him. Herrera responds by pointing at his head. Herrera may have very well been the first to say something, but the camera didn't capture that. Herrera says he was telling Lawrie to think about it next time. Lawrie says he was threatening to bean his head. Who cares?

Both were way too angry and fired up to be acting rationally. Nobody was hurt on the play. Herrera isn't going to intentionally throw a fastball at Lawrie's head, and if you believe he would then you are a giant moron. He would be locked up and face prison time. He is a millionaire baseball player and a hot head, just like Lawrie. He is not a murderer, and committed no crime here. The suspension is laughable and will almost assuredly be overturned.

Lawrie did hurt a Royals player, likely intentionally, but that's not something we can prove. The injury was real. The A's also plunked Royals batters. That happened. A bunch of machismo bullshit. Grow up and move on to both sides.

Toronto friggin' loved the guy, but being Canadian helped. I'm also pretty sure that Toronto fans would never reverse the deal that brought Donaldson.

no. tbh, I liked Lawrie when he came into the league, but as the injuries he
had piled up, and he started acting more like a goober (The incident with the umpire and his helmet bouncing off his leg being the boiling point for me) my opinion certainly soured. He has a lot of upside however. He simply needs to control his emotions.

The minute the Jays signed Russell Martin, Lawrie's time was done. Why take a risk with a relative wild card like Lawrie to make as the star of the team, when you have a clean cut ball player to shill with?

Parch

no. tbh, I liked Lawrie when he came into the league, but as the injuries he had piled up, and he started acting more like a goober (The incident with the umpire and his helmet bouncing off his leg being the boiling point for me) my opinion certainly soured. He has a lot of upside however. He simply needs to control his emotions.
Actually I don't disagree. He was reckless and foolish. He needs to lay off the Red Bull and grow up a bit.

Actually I don't disagree. He was reckless and foolish. He needs to lay off the Red Bull and grow up a bit.

Perfect descriptor. That game that he had against Texas, on the second day of the season with the four K's sums up why Brett is so frustrating to watch. When he has it going, he is absolutely a joy to watch.

Top Bottom