• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 Regular Season |OT| Pickin' Up the Pace of Play

Macattk15

Astros could easily finish ahead of the Mariners this season.

Yes and the Nationals are going to stay around a .400 Win % too.

10% of the season has been played .................................................................................................... pretty tough to make any predictions.

zulux21

Yes and the Nationals are going to stay around a .400 Win % too.

10% of the season has been played .................................................................................................... pretty tough to make any predictions.

the brewers are gonna finish below .500 >.>

Freaking Chicago weather. Not going to finish last night's game, and today's game is suspended until tomorrow. RIP Saturday Royals baseball.

Suspensions been given out for the KC/CWS Brawl:

Ventura 7 games
Volquez 5 games
Cain 2 games
Herrera 2 games

Sale 5 games
Shark 5 games

Effective Sunday.

zulux21

Suspensions been given out for the KC/CWS Brawl:

Ventura 7 games
Volquez 5 games
Cain 2 games
Herrera 2 games

Sale 5 games
Shark 5 games

Effective Sunday.

that is to short for shark. I am not sure what sale did to get his suspension so I can't say if that one was to short... but at the end of the day, aside from losing 5/162nds of their pay (I think players don't get paid for suspensions) the white sox pitches aren't actually going to be effected as they will just put in an appeal until after their next start and withdraw it merely giving them an extra day of rest between starts.

rando14

Would be nice if the commish made a statement about the Royals' HBP count.

Gotta be some blame on the Royals' part too, not really any reason to be hitting them significantly more than any other team unless they're aggravating their opponents somehow? I mean they didn't win the WS so its not like they have a target on their back from that, gotta be a two-way street here

zulux21

Gotta be some blame on the Royals' part too, not really any reason to be hitting them significantly more than any other team unless they're aggravating their opponents somehow? I mean they didn't win the WS so its not like they have a target on their back from that, gotta be a two-way street here

also wasn't it just shown that texas has more HBP than the royals? so why would they bother commenting on the royals instead of texas?

zulux21

IIRC it was Cain, Gordon, and another Royals played in top 5 if total HBP.

it was both if i recall right. those three in the top 5, but the rangers on top by one hbp as a team.

as for cain that one is easy to see what happened. he was a nobody last year so people didn't feel the need to be aggressive towards him, this season they are attacking up and in and he is getting hit because he leans over the plate. last game when "turning out of the way of a ball" he almost got hit by a pitch up and basically down the middle because his shoulder ended up a few inches over the plate during his turn. Basically with cain it seems like he either has very poor form with the turn, or he is trying to get hit. Don't know about the others though.

edit
actually they are tied now
2brsDhk.png
which hardly makes the royals a special case.

that is to short for shark. I am not sure what sale did to get his suspension so I can't say if that one was to short... but at the end of the day, aside from losing 5/162nds of their pay (I think players don't get paid for suspensions) the white sox pitches aren't actually going to be effected as they will just put in an appeal until after their next start and withdraw it merely giving them an extra day of rest between starts.
I'm thinking Sale got it for going to the Royals clubhouse.

zulux21

I'm thinking Sale got it for going to the Royals clubhouse.

that may be a factor in the 5 games (though no real details have come out with what came from that aside from he knocked on the door and went alone) but sale was ejected for some reason which is likely the reason he got a suspension. As I said though it doesn't really matter. A 5 game suspension for a starting is basically no suspension.

rando14

And why would they be doing that?

Yeah I dont see why multiple KC players would be so high up there unless...

1) They really crowd the plate because of their batting stances, in which case they should adjust
2) They were aggravating the opposite team/pitcher somehow

Fox318

Yeah I dont see why multiple KC players would be so high up there unless...

1) They really crowd the plate because of their batting stances, in which case they should adjust
2) They were aggravating the opposite team/pitcher somehow

They were doing crotch chops when running to first

zulux21

Poor batting coach? Poor form?
Too much plate crowding?

I don't know why. I have to think there's some contempt by other AL teams agains the Royals for winning the Pennant.

if there is contempt for anything it would likely be from ventura. he is a 23 year old kid who has been involved with a lot of conflict this season. Leads the majors in HBP with 3 despite having pitched less innings than most starters (who have 4 starts) and having pretty good control. Who has multiple times this season been throwing at players with a fast ball nearing 100mph.

with the AL you can't throw at the punk kid so instead you have to throw at the better hitters on the team.

zulux21

Well, what changed from last year to this year for the Royals?

as I said, if they do crowd the plate it's entirely possible that no one was paying a lot of attention to them last year, but after they went deep into the playoffs decided to take KC seriously and found out that those players don't deal well with inside pitches so a lot more of them are being thrown this year.

I mean almost no one knew who cain was before the playoffs last year, same for moustakas (though to a lesser extent). I am not sure what changed for gordon though as he was known before last year's run.

Nice resilience shown by the Astros last night. Keuchel is a beast. Houston could make a run this year, will definitely make a run next year. Fun team to watch!

As for "contempt" and pitchers "looking for KC blood"... welp, believe what you want.

BigAT

More details on the Hamilton deal:

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan
Rangers deal for Josh Hamilton a total no-brainer. @Evan_P_Grant reporting they'll pay only $7M for three years, add opt-out after 2nd year.

Here are some interesting early season stats:

The Good:
- Cincinnati Reds outfielder Billy Hamilton has more steals (12) than 22 teams. He has two games this season in which he's swiped three bags.

- Kansas City Royals catcher Salvador Perez has thrown out seven of nine potential base stealers (79 percent).

- Twenty-nine-year-old Royals rookie Paulo Orlando leads the league in triples with five. He appeared in 1,017 minor-league games before finally making his major-league debut this month.

- Typically a slow starter, New York Yankees slugger Mark Teixeira already has seven home runs in 55 at-bats, setting a new career high for April. The 13-year veteran entered the season with 36 home runs in 854 career April at-bats.

- New York Mets right-hander Matt Harvey leads the league with a 24:1 strikeout-to-walk ratio. His teammate Bartolo Colon is right behind him at 23:1. The pair have allowed just two walks in 44 innings.

The Bad
- Philadelphia Phillies left-hander Cole Hamels gave up 14 home runs in 204 2/3 innings last season. He's allowed seven in 24 innings this year.

- Baltimore Orioles first baseman Chris Davis has struck out in 46 percent of his 59 at-bats.

-After leading the league in grounding into double plays with 31 last season, San Francisco Giants third baseman Casey McGehee tops the list so far again with seven.

- The Houston Astros agreed to a two-year, $12.5-million deal with reliever Pat Neshek in December to help improve the bullpen. After allowing four home runs in 67 1/3 innings last season, he's allowed three in 7 2/3 this year.

- Phil Hughes, Mat Latos, CC Sabathia, R.A. Dickey and Hamels are a combined 0-14 with a 4.86 ERA. The five will make a combined $77.1 million this season.

Team performances
-The Toronto Blue Jays lead the league in home runs (24) and home runs allowed (25).

-The Milwaukee Brewers were 16-6 at this point last season. They're 3-14 in 2015.

-The Oakland Athletics' rotation is allowing the opposition to hit just .205 despite parting ways with both Jon Lester and Jeff Samardzija in the offseason. The best mark over a full season in the last 20 years comes from the 2011 Tampa Bay Rays, who held opponents to a .235 average.

-The Washington Nationals have been caught stealing on six of nine attempts, while the Athletics are a perfect 11 for 11 and the Reds have been successful on 20 of 21 occasions.

-The Kansas City Royals are hitting .300 as a team to lead the league, while the Texas Rangers sit last at .210.

http://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/752675

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
More details on the Hamilton deal:

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan
Rangers deal for Josh Hamilton a total no-brainer. @Evan_P_Grant reporting they'll pay only $7M for three years, add opt-out after 2nd year.
Hot damn. Even Enron can't say no to this.

Thanks for posting those notes, Confrontation. Baseball tends to be the most fun sport from a trends and statistics standpoint.

Also, that's pretty much a steal for Hamilton. I don't get it at all from the Angels perspective. You're paying him either way, might as well keep him on your roster on the slight chance he can get his life together.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Allan Dykstra DFA'd hooray. Dude was legitimately one of the worst 1B I have ever seen. Couldn't hit anything and was even worse in the field.

Thanks for posting those notes, Confrontation. Baseball tends to be the most fun sport from a trends and statistics standpoint.

Also, that's pretty much a steal for Hamilton. I don't get it at all from the Angels perspective. You're paying him either way, might as well keep him on your roster on the slight chance he can get his life together.

My pleasure. I love stats in general.

BFIB

So over the years, the Angels have traded Vernon Wells, Gary Matthews Jr, and now Hamilton with a lot of money on the table to eat.

Top Bottom