• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 Regular Season |OT| Pickin' Up the Pace of Play

zroid

Banned
Ac8lf96.png

BlueJaysBaseball.jpg

Beckx

So the guys at Japan Baseball Weekly podcast answered my question about Otani's contract. John asked some other reporters for their thoughts, too - the general consensus is this (aligns with what Frozenprince has been saying):

• Otani plans to play for around 4 years in Japan
  • Wants to go to MLB when he's "ready" (read: worth $$$)
  • If the signing bonus is high enough, Fighters will post him
  • He probably has some sort of optionality in his contract, but no one knows
  • contracts in japan are much more closely held - very hard to get good info, sometimes even people in front office won't know

Podcast here (the most recent one), answer starts around 3/4 of the way through.

Sounds like he hits the Majors in the 2018 season at the latest. Earlier if he keeps pitching like this.

Parch

BlueJaysBaseball.jpg
Frustrating when you know the pitching staff is going to blow a nice lead and you know they need to score 10 runs to win a game.

Interesting how Donaldson is showing some leadership by speaking up and displaying his displeasure. Sometimes I think complacency is a problem. These millionaires just going through motions or just showing up to have some fun is not the goal. Winning is the goal, and they should be getting pissed off when they don't win. Coaching should be a little more motivational too. A little more ass kicking won't do this team any harm.

wbsmcs

I forget who was saying it (some Jays analyst) but he basically said that the Jays need to deal either Edwin or Bautista for a package that includes either two pitchers (established and prospect) or a pitcher and a bat. Would this be even possible to do? I can't think of a team right now that would do this...and would it even do any good for Toronto?

So the guys at Japan Baseball Weekly podcast answered my question about Otani's contract. John asked some other reporters for their thoughts, too - the general consensus is this (aligns with what Frozenprince has been saying):

• contracts in japan are much more closely held - very hard to get good info, sometimes even people in front office won't know

Podcast here (the most recent one), answer starts around 3/4 of the way through.

Sounds like he hits the Majors in the 2018 season at the latest. Earlier if he keeps pitching like this.

Yep, he'll be someones opening day starter (Yankees) in 2017, I'd bet money on it at this point.

zroid

Banned
I forget who was saying it (some Jays analyst) but he basically said that the Jays need to deal either Edwin or Bautista for a package that includes either two pitchers (established and prospect) or a pitcher and a bat. Would this be even possible to do? I can't think of a team right now that would do this...and would it even do any good for Toronto?

Dirk Hayhurst maybe? He's been trying to get Bautista traded for a while.

In theory it seems like it could work but I don't really see any logical trade partner that would give the Blue Jays fair value in return for someone as elite as Bautista while fitting into Toronto's "win now" mindset.

I think it was Andrew Stoeten who opined that any trade dealing Jose or Edwin to a contender (who else would want them?) would most likely get top-end prospects in return. Jays already have great pitching prospects. It's not what they need.

I didn't say every year was horrible, we have been at the bottom or near the bottom of the NL East for the last few years.. I don't expect to have an amazing team every year, but I would like to at least finish a season above .500 and be close to a playoff spot.

The history of the Marlins trading players, doesn't mean the accomplishments of current players are worthless, and not worthy of praise.

Edit: Sorry everyone for derailing the thread. Sorry Mets fans for taking somewhat of a cheap shot, though it was a legitimate question. Thanks for shedding some light on why everyone talks trash about the Marlins. I mean I knew the people laughed at the Marlins, but I didn't know realize it was the only thing said about the Marlins. I figured most people felt sorry for us, so I was legitimately curious, about all the hate. It's not like the Marlins are rivals with anyone, except maybe the Rays.

I will go back to just bitching about losing games and trying to be as positive as possible about the Marlins. :lol

The Marlins fired their manager in '03 too. Remember Jack Mckeon?

I do. I was ecstatic about that team dismantling the '03 Yankees.

Just because the owner is slimy doesn't mean there aren't fans of Marlins baseball.

I wish the Mets had the type of farm system that the Marlins built. The Marlins can cultivate talent.

We were stupid to trade away 2 CY Young pitchers before they were great, 1 of which is a HOFer.

Parch

Dirk Hayhurst maybe? He's been trying to get Bautista traded for a while.
Probably a requirement when it's time for contract renewal.

I've been a little annoyed with Encarnacion this year. They're using an exaggerated shift against him defensively, and it looks like he isn't even trying to hit it the opposite way. There's a huge margin for error because they're giving him half a football field to poke the ball into, and he's not even willing to make the attempt?

Too many hitters whining about the shift and not doing anything about it. Professional hitters make the adjustment.

Looks like Medina is averaging like 5 bb's per 9. Sounds like a Chris Bosio project.

From Lookout Landing:

Update: The cost is Yoervis Medina, straight up. From talent exchanged, it seems like a perfectly fair swap, with the Mariners receiving far more upside than the Cubs on positional scarcity alone. Medina's velocity has been down this year, and he hasn't missed nearly as many bats as he did the previous two seasons.

JDeluis

In today's Dodgers injury report, Add another lost starting pitcher.

hyun-jin ryu is likely to have a shoulder cleanup, sources confirm. korean reports suggest it may happen this week.

And for some good news.
It’s official: Hector Olivera passed his physical and will now begin his contract with the #Dodgers.

Posting fee is capped and I'm sure the Ham Fighters will be offended by the 25 million dollars.

In yet more "timetokill was right about the Dee Gordon trade being terrible" news:

Last year, the Dodgers led the league in steals.
This year? Dead last.

In yet more "timetokill was right about the Dee Gordon trade being terrible" news:

Last year, the Dodgers led the league in steals.
This year? Dead last.

The Dodgers are first in wRC+, offensive bWAR, 4th in runs scored, 1st in wOBA, 2nd in homers, third in defensive bWAR.

I'm pretty sure losing Dee Gordon hasn't been an issue for the Dodgers offense at this point.

Will the Mariners send Zunino down? He's certainly a good defensive catcher, but no team can live with a complete black hole in the lineup.

Lloyd McClendon didn't make it sound like they will. They should but they probably won't. I think this is more that Jesus Sucre is a complete non factor on offense.

Osorio

Is he?

I can't find the lineup card online.

ST. LOUIS CARDINALS NEW YORK METS
Peter Bourjos - CF Curtis Granderson - RF
Randal Grichuk - RF Eric Campbell - 3B
Matt Holliday - LF Lucas Duda - 1B
Jhonny Peralta - SS Michael Cuddyer - LF
Yadier Molina - C Daniel Murphy - 2B
Mark Reynolds - 1B Wilmer Flores - SS
Kolten Wong - 2B Anthony Recker - C
Pete Kozma - 3B Jon Niese - LHP
Michael Wacha - RHP Juan Lagares - CF

JDeluis

The Dodgers are first in wRC+, offensive bWAR, 4th in runs scored, 1st in wOBA, 2nd in homers, third in defensive bWAR.

I'm pretty sure losing Dee Gordon hasn't been an issue for the Dodgers offense at this point

Who is in first place for homes now? Didn't know they had lost the top spot.

So quietly Miguel Montero has been having quite the season. Leads NL catchers in OBP and Average in addition to his defense and leadership. Theo did some great stuff with getting him and Hammel this offseason.

Top Bottom