• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 Regular Season |OT| Pickin' Up the Pace of Play

Worst Fielders in Defensive Runs Saved
CHOPqNsWMAEbKir.png:large

Completely shocked to see Hanley and Pablo on this list. Flabbergasted

https://vine.co/v/eOPQ1ldXnpD

Wade Miley is angry.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY GRANDY

Good for him.

At least he gives a damn, even if he sucks.

Which is more than I can say for a lot of the 2015 Boston Red Sox

Worst Fielders in Defensive Runs Saved
CHOPqNsWMAEbKir.png:large

Completely shocked to see Hanley and Pablo on this list. Flabbergasted

Good for him.

At least he gives a damn, even if he sucks.

Which is more than I can say for a lot of the 2015 Boston Red Sox

Even the Boston sports radio guys who hate metrics are going off about how bad Hanley's defensive metrics are.

He needs to just DH and they need to just give up on Ortiz. He's clearly done.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
4 games of Johnny Holiday doing play by play nooo. Clint Robinson murdered a ball for his first career home run and he called it like a shallow pop fly.

Weird that Lawrie's defence has been so bad this year. He's been a great defender in the past.

Small sample size, heck even one full year isn't really reliable. Adam Eaton was one of the top CFers last year by DRS and now he's the worst. That's why I think defensive metrics (and therefore anything that includes them like WAR) has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Meier

First baseball game I will attend this year. Unfortunately it's the Angels.

Can't pass up free tickets though!

I went to SF for a wedding and ended up going to a Giants game. Ugh. I was the best man and the groom wanted to go so I couldn't help but come too. At least they blew the game in the 9th inning to the Braves after they (the Giants) had previously come back to take the lead.. it was pretty delicious.

You can't evaluate a trade after 2 1/2 months. Donaldson's had a good run, but it's hardly a fleecing in the long-term.

You can't, sure...but preliminary impressions are that we definitely fleeced you guys based on Donaldson's performance. Especially when you consider that trade was made when Beane was fretting about how good the 2014 A's squad was when they collapsed in the second half.

You can't, sure...but preliminary impressions are that we definitely fleeced you guys based on Donaldson's performance. Especially when you consider that trade was made when Beane was fretting about how good the 2014 A's squad was when they collapsed in the second half.

Some revisionist history there on why the trade was made but okay.

Donaldson is playing slightly better than his last couple year averages. He's a great player for sure. Love him. His ISO is running significantly higher than his career averages, and his avg in BIP is up 50 points on last year. Not saying it's not sustainable, but you're seeing the absolute best of Donaldson right now.

Lawrie is almost the exact opposite, under performing his historicals in most catregories outside of AVG, and his fielding has been incredibly poor compared to what he's done int he past. The A's are likely seeing the worst of Lawrie.

However, Graveman is already settling into the rotation after a pretty dominant start in Nashville, and Sean Nolin isn't far away at all with a 1.77 ERA over 20 innings at AAA. With all the SS the A's just drafted, Barreto could end up having some value in trade down the road, although not much.

So you're comparing a guy who's overperforming his norms at age 29 at $4.3m with a guy who's underperforming his at age 25 at $2m and two quality pitchers at minimums or less that are either on the cusp or have just joined the team.

No way a reasonable person looks at this trade objectively, and with any basic baseball intelligence, and calls it a "fleecing" after two and a half months.

Top Bottom