• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 Regular Season |OT| Pickin' Up the Pace of Play

rando14

Safeco is more of a pitcher's park than Citi Field, but Seattle still signed him and he's done well for them (although the splits are clear)

Not that I think the Mets should have signed Nelson Cruz. He probably takes back close to what he gives with his dismal defense

Dude has 2.7 WAR right now, same as Giancarlo stanton, Adrian gonzalez, more than miguel cabrera right now even.....

Been more impressed thus far with Lanc McCullers Jr. than Velasquez. Both left Appel in the dust, who should be in AA for at least the rest of the year.

zulux21

man... Emilio Bonifacio needs to be DFA before this game is over.
I don't care if he is earning 4 mil this season with the white sox this was his 4th down right terrible lazy ass play and his 2nd error and he just looks like he doesn't give a damn at all.

If he is still on the white sox this time tomorrow I will be really really sad.

Cruz has a 1.123 OPS and a 188 OPS+ when playing as a RF.

Zero teams in Major League Baseball would turn that kind of production down.

He's second to last in UZR ratings and basically at that same position with every other defensive metric.

If he played full time it would massively detriment his value.

Chuck

Still without luck
Can anyone tell me why this draftkings garbage has suddenly infected just about every corner of this great game? there a fucking salary thing on baseball-reference for fuck sake.

rando14

The last time he played a full season in the OF he was -2.2 WAR though. Pretty much erases his offensive value.

He's second to last in UZR ratings and basically at that same position with every other defensive metric.

If he played full time it would massively detriment his value.

This year almost all of his value seems to be coming when he plays RF though, he's a 102 OPS+ when hitting DH, and 188 when hitting as a RF. They're weird splits but he plays RF about 2/3 of the time and it works out fine so far (key words: so far)

This year almost all of his value seems to be coming when he plays RF though, he's a 102 OPS+ when hitting DH, and 188 when hitting as a RF. They're weird splits but he plays RF about 2/3 of the time and it works out fine so far (key words: so far)

But again, the defense is SO BAD then it compensates negatively.

Look at the negative value he's earned this season and maybe double that. He's suddenly not a 2 fWAR player and more like a 1-1.5 fWAR player. Which is still good but not nearly as good, but that's what he'd be like as a full time outfielder

His value is much greater to an AL club

Look at the negative value he's earned this season and maybe double that. He's suddenly not a 2 fWAR player and more like a 1-1.5 fWAR player. Which is still good but not nearly as good, but that's what he'd be like as a full time outfielder

And with Grandy, his value is a 2.0 fWAR player with his offense and defense.

So really it balances out for what we can do with the rules and limitations in place.

rando14

But again, the defense is SO BAD then it compensates negatively.

Eh, what I'm saying is that he is generating so much MORE value as a RF'er than a DH right now, it's significantly outpacing his negative dWAR. Dude is literally almost 2x the offensive firepower as a RF'er

Ultimately though it's a "we'll see" kinda thing, not really much more we can say haha

zulux21

I like this cycle.
Change pitchers, white sox launch one.
rinse and repeat.

edit: ha ha ha... they called a fall ball on a drop third strike (batter made it to first) and the batter missed the ball by at least a foot if not 2. He walked on the next pitch so not a big deal but still.

Let's be honest, who the hell here thought that almost halfway through the season the first place teams in the AL would be the Yankees, Royals, and the fucking Astros?

Let's be honest, who the hell here thought that almost halfway through the season the first place teams in the AL would be the Yankees, Royals, and the fucking Astros?

Me
for the Royals. Doubtful for the Yanks, and definitely not the Astros.

Poor Torii Hunter. That pitch was a foot off the plate but got called strike three. Then he went apeshit and tossed every piece of equipment he had onto the field, including his jersey. :)

zulux21

Royals weren't a hard guess. (if the twins had won today there would have been a tie and no way anyone called the twins this year)
Yankees I was hoping would be in last, but hey there is still time.
Astros I don't think anyone could predict, but despite beating them 4 of 5 so far and hopefully 5 of 6 it's obvious watching them that they have a ton of young talent and great pitching. if they can get some guys in there hitting above .200 to make the offense more consistent they could be very scary for a number of years.

edit: sweet two more add on runs in the 8th again.
and this might be the first time this season the white sox have hit 3 home runs in a single game this season.

w4Zzve9.jpg

zulux21

hmmm who ever is in new york hates the white sox lol.

While I feel that the play was really close and there is a chance the runner was out, there is no way in hell there was conclusive proof that he was out (as the video showed it was likely a tie).

oh well robertson will lock this down, the white sox will get a sweep and the guy in new york can get heart burn in anger for his shady calls not making the white sox lose.

and that is it for the sweep. Fret not astros fans, ideally the white sox will take care of the rangers as well.

also with going 0-5 tonight José Altuve is batting .200 against the white sox this season (he was batting .250 before then) he has to be happy he isn't seeing them anymore,

Chuck

Still without luck
where do i have to go to find a picture of darren o'day and jonathan papelbon on the same high school team?

zulux21

Me
for the Royals. Doubtful for the Yanks, and definitely not the Astros.

Poor Torii Hunter. That pitch was a foot off the plate but got called strike three. Then he went apeshit and tossed every piece of equipment he had onto the field, including his jersey. :)

the hunter thing is up on mlb

Foot is quite the exaggeration :p, it was about 2-3 inches off the plate.
I am also wondering if Hunter is going to get a suspension, not for throwing stuff, but because he pushed the one ump that was getting him away from the other ump.

Top Bottom