• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 Regular Season |OT| Pickin' Up the Pace of Play

tim1138

Walthrup is batting a scorching .172. Flat out killing it. Lol

He was doing well in AA to start the season but has not made the transition well to AAA pitching. Winker is only hitting 270ish in AA and is the best hitting prospect in our system.

And damnit, every time Billy Hamilton hits the ball in the air he should have to do push ups like Willy Mays Hayes in Major League.

HeySeuss

He was doing well in AA to start the season but has not made the transition well to AAA pitching. Winker is only hitting 270ish in AA and is the best hitting prospect in our system.

And damnit, every time Billy Hamilton hits the ball in the air he should have to do push ups like Willy Mays Hayes in Major League.

I wish he could figure out how to bunt.

tim1138

I wish he could figure out how to bunt.

Bunt, walk, slap the ball, beat it into the ground, etc. His offensive game needs a lot of work of he wants to be anything more than a curiosity or what if guy.

I try to cut him some slack since they called him up way too early, but other than cutting down on his caught stealing, he's gotten worse this year.

HeySeuss

Bunt, walk, slap the ball, beat it into the ground, etc. His offensive game needs a lot of work of he wants to be anything more than a curiosity or what if guy.

I try to cut him some slack since they called him up way too early, but other than cutting down on his caught stealing, he's gotten worse this year.

I think he got a lot of rookie luck and decent looks since nobody really knew much about him. I see him at about a .265-.270 hitter at best. Definitely not a leadoff hitter.

I feel like I'm at GAB though. Just had second and third with nobody out and couldn't manage a run. Definitely a Reds team lol

tim1138

I think he got a lot of rookie luck and decent looks since nobody really knew much about him. I see him at about a .265-.270 hitter at best. Definitely not a leadoff hitter.

I feel like I'm at GAB though. Just had second and third with nobody out and couldn't manage a run. Definitely a Reds team lol

I would be ecstatic if he could slash 270/320/who cares. I was really high on him when he was working his way through the system but the regression at AAA and his first two years in the bigs really tempered my expectations. I'd be surprised if he ever does much more than what he's doing now.

He should end the switch hitting experiment and put on about 10-15lbs in the offseason so he can last a full season but still keep his speed.

Our best hitters are our pitchers.

There are no words to describe how pathetic that is.

Nats fan should be angry at Gonzalez for not breezing through this line-up with a 5 run lead.

Pretty sure we've reached at least like, J-League level line-up here at this point. Maybe even lower.

Billy Hamilton has been worth 1.5 fWAR this year in spite of his poor hitting solely because of his elite baserunning and defense. He's on pace for almost 3 fWAR this year, which while a step back from last year is still pretty good

He's a pretty good player, even with a wRC+ of 50

Billy Hamilton has been worth 1.5 fWAR this year in spite of his poor hitting solely because of his elite baserunning and defense. He's on pace for almost 3 fWAR this year, which while a step back from last year is still pretty good

He has 0 offensive game yet every time he does manage to luck his way on base, he's the biggest threat in the game.

He has more SB's than half of all MLB teams.

REDSOX LOSE
REDSOX LOSE
REDSOX LOSE

200_s.gif

tim1138

The FanGraphs/Baseball Reference WAR discrepancy is hilarious here, 1.5 fWAR v 0.2 bWAR. I was not bashing his defense or baserunning, just his plate approach (as I typed this up he hit another fly ball to left field). The old adage you can't steal first has never been more true than with Billy. Imagine his value if his OBP was just 300 and not 260. He doesn't need to slash 330/400/350 to be a damn good player, with his speed he just needs to be league average.

The FanGraphs/Baseball Reference WAR discrepancy is hilarious here, 1.5 fWAR v 0.2 bWAR. I was not bashing his defense or baserunning, just his plate approach (as I typed this up he hit another fly ball to left field). The old adage you can't steal first has never been more true than with Billy. Imagine his value if his OBP was just 300 and not 260. He doesn't need to slash 330/400/350 to be a damn good player, with his speed he just needs to be league average.

I think he'll probably reach a 300 OBP, or at least significantly closer to it than 260. That's at least what the projections all call for (and what his limited MLB track record and minors record seem to indicate too)

tim1138

I think he'll probably reach a 300 OBP, or at least significantly closer to it than 260. That's at least what the projections all call for (and what his limited MLB track record and minors record seem to indicate too)

I hope that you're right, but as he currently is, I'm not seeing it. I really want him to be good, like I said earlier in the thread, I've been following him since he was in A ball in 2011. I think this is a case of too much too soon, he's only been switch hitting for like four years and was named the every day CF after only 547 plate appearances in AAA. He didnt exactly tear it up in AAA either, only slashed 256/308/343 with a boatload of strike outs.

Top Bottom