• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 Regular Season |OT| Pickin' Up the Pace of Play

Ganhyun

Braves Opening Day 2014 Lineup:

1. Jason Heyward - RF
2. B.J. Upton - CF
3. Freddie Freeman - 1B
4. Chris Johnson - 3B
5. Justin Upton - LF
6. Dan Uggla - 2B
7. Evan Gattis - C
8. Andrelton Simmons - SS
9. Julio Teheran - P

Braves Opening Day 2015 Lineup:

1. Eric Young Jr. - CF
2. Jace Peterson - 2B
3. Nick Markakis - RF
4. Freddie Freeman - 1B
5. Cristian Bethancourt - C
6. Kelly Johnson - LF
7. Alberto Callaspo - 3B
9. Julio Teheran - P

Looks like the Braves, while rebuilding, are trying to go with a small ball setup. Announcer was trying to sell fans on it yesterday by constantly pointing out how they would strike out less even if they only scored 2-3 runs a game instead of 6-8 or whatever.

Of course, winning games only scoring 2-3 runs a game and using small ball also puts a heavy weight on the pitching staff.

Beckx

Anyone know if there is a setting on the MLB.TV android app to turn score display off (like the PS3/4 versions)?

hey guys, first time popping in to the thread for this season. I almost got excited for the start of baseball but then the Phillies lost 8-0.

7b737a129c21011a993db1c6fa19c2cb.jpg

Gonna be a long season.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Looks like the Braves, while rebuilding, are trying to go with a small ball setup. Announcer was trying to sell fans on it yesterday by constantly pointing out how they would strike out less even if they only scored 2-3 runs a game instead of 6-8 or whatever.

Of course, winning games only scoring 2-3 runs a game and using small ball also puts a heavy weight on the pitching staff.
small ball is another term for your offense sucks.

rando14

Lmfao, Lamb's boy Torii Hunter already in trouble

Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal
MLB reviewing Torii Hunter's comments on Joe West. Some form of discipline, probably a fine, wound appear likely.

Ganhyun

I agree. With hardly any deep threat, the Braves will have to rely on manufacturing runs every game. i just don't see the pitching holding up all season without some sort of breakdown.

I mean, even when we had Glavine, Smoltz, and Maddux we had more than 1-2 deep threats in the lineup.

mUwY5ap.jpg

Pitching, speed, and defense win games.

The term "small ball" is misleading. Every team should be striving to get runners on base and in scoring position. Teams adjust their focus based on the game circumstances, and shift in and out of "small ball" mentality based on a wide variety of factors. What part of the order is up? Do you have a speedy runner on base? Is the opposing pitcher having control issues?

It definitely doesn't mean your offense sucks.

Met fans just inflammation for Jenrry Mejia. received cortisone shot. no throwing for 48 hours. with the Mets great medical staff, watch that shot be rotten causing him to miss the rest of the season! jk, be well jenrry. we had 8 relievers anyways so the bullpen is still good.

zychi

Banned
any deals on mlb.tv yet?
Met fans just inflammation for Jenrry Mejia. received cortisone shot. no throwing for 48 hours. with the Mets great medical staff, watch that shot be rotten causing him to miss the rest of the season! jk, be well jenrry. we had 8 relievers anyways so the bullpen is still good.

i just picked him up in fantasy, so expect him to be out for 4 months

Syrinx

Over/under 5 days before he needs to have it amputated?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
mUwY5ap.jpg

The term "small ball" is misleading. Every team should be striving to get runners on base and in scoring position. Teams adjust their focus based on the game circumstances, and shift in and out of "small ball" mentality based on a wide variety of factors. What part of the order is up? Do you have a speedy runner on base? Is the opposing pitcher having control issues?

...no, it means your offense sucks. I'm scratching my head to think of a time I heard that term used on a team where they had basically any number of sluggers.

wbsmcs

First time posting in here

Jays fan, born two years after their last World Series win/playoff appearance :(

Hopefully they at least make the wild card game this year, and this is the most excited I've been about the team since 2013...which ended much, much worse than I thought it would have..

Hearing about the Stroman news a couple weeks ago almost took all my excitement out of the season, but I think that the batting is good enough to contend in the AL East. Only team that worries me is Boston, but then again they don't have the greatest pitching either.

Anyways, looking forward to this season!

Any DFS players here?

Syrinx

Yeah,I thought it was strange for the Blue Jays to be off today but then I figured maybe it was because of their 2 weekend games in Montreal...

Nah, they usually do this after opening day. Most teams will play Monday, Wednesday, Thursday in the first week.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Castro supposedly on trade block. Padres probably interested. I would do Kennedy for him or something like that.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Padres were interested, but consider that the cupboard is bare with Wisler out the door. We legitimately don't have anything to offer other than a catcher who can't hit and I find it highly unlikely you're going to see the Padres move anything currently in their rotation given they weren't willing to move anything in their rotation for Cole Hamels.

...no, it means your offense sucks. I'm scratching my head to think of a time I heard that term used on a team where they had basically any number of sluggers.

Your problem is you are confusing the lack of "sluggers" with having a bad offense, which is borderline ridiculous. The Royals didn't have any pure sluggers last year, and came up 90 feet short of winning it all. Who were the power hitters on the Giants?

What matters is getting on base and scoring runs. Whether you manage to do that by hitting home runs or stringing together a series of hits is irrelevant.

The Braves aren't a "small ball" team. They are a garbage team.

Angry Grimace

Your problem is you are confusing the lack of "sluggers" with having a bad offense, which is borderline ridiculous. The Royals didn't have any pure sluggers last year, and came up 90 feet short of winning it all. Who were the power hitters on the Giants?

What matters is getting on base and scoring runs. Whether you manage to do that by hitting home runs or stringing together a series of hits is irrelevant.

The Braves aren't a "small ball" team. They are a garbage team.

That's what I'm saying: the only teams that make the "small ball" argument are teams that struggle to score runs. The teams that successfully do that don't characterize the strategy that way. Its just a euphemism; teams that successfully employ the strategy don't use it.

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
All the jokes about the Mets doctors aside, Mejia was examined by one of the best elbow surgeons in sports.

That's what I'm saying: the only teams that make the "small ball" argument are teams that struggle to score runs. The teams that successfully do that don't characterize the strategy that way. Its just a euphemism; teams that successfully employ the strategy don't use it.

The whole world was calling the Royals a small ball team last year, including some of their management.

hey guys, first time popping in to the thread for this season. I almost got excited for the start of baseball but then the Phillies lost 8-0.

7b737a129c21011a993db1c6fa19c2cb.

Gonna be a long season.

I know them feels man, Rangers lost to the A's 8-0 last night :/

randy-quaid-major-league-o.gif

It's going to be a long season at last place :(

thefro

Cubs-Cards game cancelled already.

Means Kris Bryant only sits in Iowa for 10 more games instead of 11.

They'll be lucky to play tomorrow, so it might be 9.

Edit: Supposedly not making the game up today until July or September, so that's a HUGE benefit to the Cubs. Their team should get stronger as the season goes on. Bryant and Russell should both be up by then.

Fitzy

Braves Opening Day 2014 Lineup:

1. Jason Heyward - RF
2. B.J. Upton - CF
3. Freddie Freeman - 1B
4. Chris Johnson - 3B
5. Justin Upton - LF
6. Dan Uggla - 2B
7. Evan Gattis - C
9. Julio Teheran - P

Braves Opening Day 2015 Lineup:

1. Eric Young Jr. - CF
2. Jace Peterson - 2B
3. Nick Markakis - RF
4. Freddie Freeman - 1B
5. Cristian Bethancourt - C
6. Kelly Johnson - LF
7. Alberto Callaspo - 3B
9. Julio Teheran - P

What a difference a year makes

ironically, didn't they have the highest rate of homers in the playoffs? the playoffs are weird.

They were either at the top or very close. Really turned things on offensively when it mattered most. What's even more odd is they completely abandoned stealing bases as they progressed further into the playoffs.

I guess I find the "small ball" term silly, since every team incorporates the concepts from time to time. About the only purposeful component I can think of is laying down a bunt to advance a runner into second. Everything else is just trying to put the ball into play and score runs, AKA baseball.

mUwY5ap.jpg

Scoring more runs than your opponent wins ball games. If you do this by hitting 300 homers or doiling your opponent to death is a matter of style.

Scoring more runs than your opponent wins ball games. If you do this by hitting 300 homers or doiling your opponent to death is a matter of style.

As the playoffs have taught us time and time again, pitching, speed, and defense wins games when they actually matter. Limiting your opponent's scoring is every bit as important as putting the ball in play.

You are saying the same thing as I am, in an even more reductionist manner.

Angry Grimace

Its on mlbtraderumors. Its really a combination of two rumors and not an actual connection - The Padres are apparently looking around for a shortstop and the Cubs have a shortstop potentially available.

The Padres are pretty much barren at this point since we traded away every blue-chip prospect we had. The idea that they'd trade Ian Kennedy or anyone else in the rotation seems suspect given how much they gave out in the farm system without ever bringing up Tyson Ross or Cashner or Kennedy.

thefro

Castro has been on the block since before they acquired Russel. He'll be gone.

Castro isn't getting traded this year unless someone makes an offer that blows the Cubs away. He's a good player and signed on a team-friendly contract until 2020.

Ultimately taking Castro off the team hurts the Cubs' chances of contending this year.

Castro isn't getting traded this year unless someone makes an offer that blows the Cubs away. He's a good player and signed on a team-friendly contract until 2020.

Ultimately taking Castro off the team hurts the Cubs' chances of contending this year.

If only they still had Soriano to give away. That nightmare contract is finally over.

Top Bottom