• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 Regular Season |OT2| NES Baseball, Best Baseball

Silkworm

Would be nice if Kershaw could get out of this 8th inning. Rather not have the bullpen in there, just have Jansen finish things in the 9th.

edit: Mission accomplished. Not sure if Kershaw should pitch in the 9th as he's already up above 100 pitches. I think Jansen is reliable enough to close it out (I hope).

Not sure if you knew, but the A's aren't making the post-season.

Unless that was just some lame ass attempt to take a comeback dig thinking talking about the odds line is somehow insulting the Jays?

Something about this is great. Seeing it turn around from a sign of futility to one of excellence is poetic.

No I'm talking about how everytime the A's get into the postseason they become cold as ice. It doesn't matter about how your pitching matches up, it's about how hot your team can get.

Look at the Royals last year. They were the wildcard team that got to game 7 of the World Series. The Tigers were supposed to barrel over them with their superior rotation. They were the underdog the entire playoffs. That didn't happen because the Royals were on a tear like no other team was. Bumgarner was what stopped them.

lKydlCY.gif
lKydlCY.gif
lKydlCY.gif

GTFO Giants

15 strikeouts by Kershaw!!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I'd hate to be a writer choosing between Greinke and Kersh for the Cy Young.

Wouldn't matter because by the time the award is actually handed out, the writers will all be focused on how they can't perform in the playoffs after yet another early exit despite the regular season accolades!

I'd hate to be a writer choosing between Greinke and Kersh for the Cy Young.

Seriously. They're both putting up sick numbers. Main thing that I think will give it to Greinke is his ERA is better and the offense has helped him more than they've helped Kershaw.

I don't know why people are worried about Kershaw's arm after this game. All this did was confirming the rumor that he replaced it with a bionic arm during the offseason.

Even Dusty Baker can't destroy him.

A slightly-above-average team managed to win 3 World Series in five years. Given enough time anything can happen in a sport this dependent on luck.

I've actually been thinking of trying to calculate the statistical odds of a 2010-2014 Giants-tier team achieving those results. No doubt they're tiny. Ours is one of the weirder universes in the multiverse.

cashman

Banned
Miiiiiiiiiitch

A slightly-above-average team managed to win 3 World Series in five years. Given enough time anything can happen in a sport this dependent on luck.

I've actually been thinking of trying to calculate the statistical odds of a 2010-2014 Giants-tier team achieving those results. No doubt they're tiny. Ours is one of the weirder universes in the multiverse.

Yeah the Giants have been a pretty underwhelming "dynasty" when you actually look at how the team did during the last 5 years

XiaNaphryz

lol at the revisionism.

2010 and 2012 weren't "slight above average." Pitching was elite (best ERA+ in the majors) and offense just a tick below average that first one. In 2012 SF actually had the second best OPS+ in the NL, but on the pitching side were slightly below average.

Only the 2014 team you may have a case with slightly above average.

As for luck, you mitigate it as much as you can with tactical decisions. That means proper use of a bullpen and not doing dumb things like sending Prince Fielder home from first base on a double.

Yeah the Giants have been a pretty underwhelming "dynasty" when you actually look at how the team did during the last 5 years

You're just still bitter about getting spanked in 2010!

So you saying you can't be us straight up? Gotta have some one else take us out? SMH!!
Hey we still have a winning record vs dodgers this year and beat Kershaw 3 times before today. Right now 2/3 of our regular guys are on the DL and have a minor league line up, we're not expected to win much until guys like Panik Pence Crawford come back.

Hey we still have a winning record vs dodgers this year and beat Kershaw 3 times before today. Right now 2/3 of our regular guys are on the DL and have a minor league line up, we're not expected to win much until guys like Panik Pence Crawford come back.

Dude it's September now. You're 6.5 games back of the division and that far back in the WC.

Unless those guys get back tomorrow all at once, you're screwed if that's why you're losing.

Maybe it's just that the Giants are a decent to good team with holes that need to be addressed and that they aren't a playoff team this year.

XiaNaphryz

So you saying you can't be us straight up? Gotta have some one else take us out? SMH!!

Of course we can, look at all the games we played at home against you earlier in the season. Just gotta try to keep it close entering that last home series with you.

Dude it's September now. You're 6.5 games back of the division and that far back in the WC.

Unless those guys get back tomorrow all at once, you're screwed if that's why you're losing.

Maybe it's just that the Giants are a decent to good team with holes that need to be addressed and that they aren't a playoff team this year.

Just the usual odd year injuries piling up at the wrong times. It would take a Sep 2010 type run to get back into things, they had a similar deficit (if not worse) back then as well. The rotation's not as strong this time around though, we'd need LA to stumble down the stretch like SD did that year.

I just don't see the impact players making a 7 win difference. Your rotation just isn't good enough this year and really, that's been it. Matt Cain is done, Vogelsong is trash, Mike Leake is the definition of average (which is not a bad thing), Heston is a rookie who has ups and downs.

Ya'll had a good year, just ride it out and tool up for next year, imo.

Top Bottom