• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 Regular Season |OT2| NES Baseball, Best Baseball

I won't comment about Cerrone the person, only that his post that I quoted above was spot on.

Oh, come on. Cerrone's schtick is to bludgeon his readers to death with verbiage -- at the end of day he writes a lot and says very little. There's at least 5 Mets bloggers i read before I indulge Mikey's thoughts for the day.

BumRush

Oh, come on. Cerrone's schtick is to bludgeon his readers to death with verbiage -- at the end of day he writes a lot and says very little. There's at least 5 Mets bloggers i read before I indulge Mikey's thoughts for the day.

Haha I'm not doubting that, nor am I saying that he's the best Mets blogger out there. Just that what he said about the Harvey situation was a good summary of how most fans probably feel right now (i.e. shut up and play...everyone).

Bartolo Colon is the NL Player of the Week. He's done a nice job and is a total pro. He doesn't let bad things get to him and stays nice and calm unlike that bum Niese.

Lucas Duda is back in the lineup tonight. I hope he can get himself in a nice groove and join Cespedes' home run party.

edit: Actually, today's lineup may be one of the best I've seen all year.

Dodgers won't even meet the Cards! Cubs are gonna take them out in the NLDS.

1188363405_Harry_caray.gif

3N16MA

Banned

Carpe Libertatem did a good job explaining it.

What it comes down to is fWAR uses FIP. FIP takes a teams defense out of the equation and focuses on what a pitcher can actually control. I feel it is a better way of determining value as it places greater emphasis on a pitcher as an individual.

rWAR allowed greater influence from team and opponent aspects.

When determining how valuable a pitcher has been to his team I rather focus on what the pitcher could control instead of the defense behind him.

I feel like if the Blue Jays make the World Series, they should be forced to play in some other stadium. One that actually looks decent. You're on national TV, damn it.

jman2050

Carpe Libertatem did a good job explaining it.

What it comes down to is fWAR uses FIP. FIP takes a teams defense out of the equation and focuses on what a pitcher can actually control. I feel it is a better way of determining value as it places greater emphasis on a pitcher as an individual.

rWAR allowed greater influence from team and opponent aspects.

When determining how valuable a pitcher has been to his team I rather focus on what the pitcher could control instead of the defense behind him.

Current DIPS statistics and analysis aren't mature enough for me yet to use them in any authoritative way to assess a player's value. FIP in particular makes way too many assumptions for my tastes.

Pitcher WAR, regardless of how it's calculated, remains little more than an amusing curiosity to me until the exact relationship between pitching and defense becomes less muddled.

3N16MA

Banned
Personally I loved their stadium;

IIRC photo was taken at 1:30AM after we got back from a bar. They leave lights on all night.

Rogers Centre feels extremely artificial (if that makes any sense) in comparison to many of the parks I have been to. I go several times a year to watch the Yankees but the place never impresses.

It feels outdated like some weird futuristic park from the 80s (which it pretty much is).

zroid

Banned
Current DIPS statistics and analysis aren't mature enough for me yet to use them in any authoritative way to assess a player's value. FIP in particular makes way too many assumptions for my tastes.

Pitcher WAR, regardless of how it's calculated, remains little more than an amusing curiosity to me until the exact relationship between pitching and defense becomes less muddled.

One thing I don't get about FIP is why it doesn't account for the type of contact induced. If a pitcher allows a lot of line drives and/or hard contact, isn't that meaningful?

Rogers Centre feels extremely artificial (if that makes any sense) in comparison to many of the parks I have been to. I go several times a year to watch the Yankees but the place never impresses.

It feels outdated like some weird futuristic park from the 80s (which it pretty much is).
I agree with you and it's hard to believe it's only 3 years older than Camden Yards and only 5 years older than the Jake. Given it's location, the Blue Jays won't make a move away anytime soon (a local told me it's worth up to 10K in attendance per game)

But things will get better when they lay sand in the infield.

However, the previous BJs stadium makes the Rogers Center look like PNC Park.

1024px-Blue_Jays_v_White_Sox_1977.jpg

3N16MA

Banned
One thing I don't get about FIP is why it doesn't account for the type of contact induced. If a pitcher allows a lot of line drives and/or hard contact, isn't that meaningful?

It is meaningful but then again you shouldn't simply use FIP when evaluating a pitcher.

Parch

What's with the gulp? You think he's gonna suck because of a AAA rehab start? You do realize it's not about results during rehab stints. It's how he feels and looks.
Or maybe because he doesn't have enough innings to be ready, has not faced a MLB batter this year, and only has 20 MLB starts in his career.

Not a lot of choice since Buerhle is getting another cortisone shot and doesn't seem to be healthy, but Stroman is being thrown to the wolves here. Everybody is hoping for a hero savior story, but this could be a disappointment. I would rather have given him another AAA start and give him a shot at the Braves instead of the Yankees.

Lexxism

Or maybe because he doesn't have enough innings to be ready, has not faced a MLB batter this year, and only has 20 MLB starts in his career.

Not a lot of choice since Buerhle is getting another cortisone shot and doesn't seem to be healthy, but Stroman is being thrown to the wolves here. Everybody is hoping for a hero savior story, but this could be a disappointment. I would rather have given him another AAA start and give him a shot at the Braves instead of the Yankees.
The game Stroman started yesterday was Bison's last game of the season. So, there's no more games for him in the minors.

Parch

The game Stroman started yesterday was Bison's last game of the season. So, there's no more games for him in the minors.
Oh yeah. I suppose a simulated start would be the only way to get him more rehab innings.

The other Blue Jay option could be a bullpen start. Plenty of bullpen depth now, and Bo and the Aussie could go 2 or 3 innings each.

But Stroman gets the ball, so hopefully it's the right decision to get the win against the Yankees

Do you think so? I dunno man, his stock went up...

The fact that we even got this to happen is a massive good faith move on his part since it would allow the Mets to claim arbitration if we needed too. They won't obviously, but the fact that it happened in the first place is a great amount of faith from both parties.

The fact that we even got this to happen is a massive good faith move on his part since it would allow the Mets to claim arbitration if we needed too. They won't obviously, but the fact that it happened in the first place is a great amount of faith from both parties.

There is no disadvantage to Cespedes removing this clause. It adds one more team (one maybe more likely to pursue him) to the other 29 that could've pursued him, that's all.

Top Bottom