• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 Regular Season |OT2| NES Baseball, Best Baseball

tim1138

Eh I wouldn't say he can command the slider particularly well. What makes him so effective is his velocity but if you remove ticks off that to garner more command, his stuff isn't as good. It might be slightly sharper, but it's not nearly as deadly as it is when he can just rear back and throw.

He has trouble consistently locating the slider (which is why he doesn't throw it much anymore). The Change has the potential to be the best in baseball considering that it's physically impossible to get the timing difference down. But again he doesn't command it well yet so it's not a plus pitch.

It would be interesting to see but I think it'd just be wasting time. Much like with Mariano, he's just meant to be a closer.

We'll just have to agree to disagree here then. It is nice to find a MLB thread where you can have civil discussions about such things, I wish I would have started posting here longer ago.

He's MUCH better served as a closer. His stuff is at it's best when he can sit at 101 MPH. If he stayed a starter A) He would have needed to develop a workable third pitch he could command consistently and B) he would sit at 97-98, not 101-102 like he does now.

His stuff is better as a closer.
A more hittable Chapman for 160, 180 innings is still much more valuable (both for the team and his future earnings) than the current incarnation for 60 innings. I agree that it's a shame that he wouldn't even try it out.

He's not going to develop a 3rd pitch if he's only pitching in high leverage situations.

Opiate

I don't expect the Cardinals to be buyers or sellers unless Paul Goldshmidt is suddenly made available. As usual, the Cardinals have very few needs. Maybe another arm in the bullpen at low cost or something.

What did Colin Cowherd say now?

I don't expect the Cardinals to be buyers or sellers unless Paul Goldshmidt is suddenly made available. As usual, the Cardinals have very few needs. Maybe another arm in the bullpen at low cost or something.

“It’s too complex? I’ve never bought into that ‘baseball is too complex.’ Really? A third of the sport is from the Dominican Republic. The Dominican Republic has not been known in my lifetime as having world class academic abilities. A lot of those kids come from rough backgrounds and have not had opportunities academically that other kids from other countries have. Baseball is like any sport. It’s mostly instincts. A sportswriter who covers baseball could go up to Tony La Russa and make an argument and Tony would listen and it would seem reasonable. There’s not a single NFL writer in the country who could diagram a play for Bill Belichick. You know, we get caught up in this whole ‘thinking-man’s game.’ Is it in the same family? Most people could do it. It’s not being a concert pianist. It’s in the same family.

First base is easily the biggest weakness on the team. And unless you're extremely confident in Piscotty doing well in that role, there are a number of options to upgrade that position without splurging for Goldschmidt. Lind seems to be a popular choice.

Bullpen is definitely a need since we have no idea if we can count on Walden going forward and you can't ride Rosenthal/Siegrist so hard and still expect them to be effective in October.

Wonder what/who we have up for Cishek.

"It's baseball," Cowherd said. "You don't think a general manager can manage? Like it's impossible? The game is too complex? I've never bought into that, 'Baseball's just too complex.' Really? A third of the sport is from the Dominican Republic."
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-colin-cowherds-comments-on-dominican-players

Edit: Beaten.

Opiate

Cards are giving up an AA pitcher I've never heard of but they're picking up all of Cishek's remaining salary. Good move if Cishek isn't broken.

Absolutely. The marlins just threw away a relief pitcher who is above average in his career but having a bad year. If they have reason to believe his bad year is not a fluke, then at best this is a nothing-for-nothing trade. If he even returns to moderate form, it's a win for the Cardinals

jbug617

Banned
Hamels talk is heating up
@JimBowden_ESPN Jayson Stark #ESPN reports there are 4 team in serious hunt for Cole Hamels #Dodgers #Cubs #Rangers & #Redsox (he spent half hour w/ Amaro).

I think he goes to the Rangers but I hope Ben steps up

If Amaro and co. are being idiots about Hamels I kind of hope the Cubs just destroy him tomorrow so his value tanks.

Seems like they want to take it the easy way and do their whole rebuild with one player.

Also had a laugh at some Phillies boards think they are getting Schwarber.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/...oid-users-should-lose-a-third-of-their-stats/
hickeypaine-datalab-mlbsteroiddiscount-11.png

hickeypaine-datalab-mlbsteroiddiscount-21.png

BFIB

If Amaro and co. are being idiots about Hamels I kind of hope the Cubs just destroy him tomorrow so his value tanks.

Seems like they want to take it the easy way and do their whole rebuild with one player.

Also had a laugh at some Phillies boards think they are getting Schwarber.

Amaro and his bosses have been trying to trade Hamels for 2 years now. They state the "interest wasn't there", but then you hear about the asking price, and its no wonder.

Cards are giving up an AA pitcher I've never heard of but they're picking up all of Cishek's remaining salary. Good move if Cishek isn't broken.

He has pitched really well his last 10-15 appearances, I think the time he spent in the minors in June allowed him to fix his mechanics. He still doesn't look as good as he had been the past few seasons.

It seems like we got a young relief pitcher that could be an okay strike out guy. I'm just happy we got someone for our farm system. I'm also glad the Cards are picking up the rest of Cishek's contract.

I think this is a good trade for both teams.

BFIB

He has pitched really well his last 10-15 appearances, I think the time he spent in the minors in June allowed him to fix his mechanics. He still doesn't look as good as he had been the past few seasons.

It seems like we got a young relief pitcher that could be a decent strike out guy. I'm just happy we got someone for our farm system. I'm also glad the Cards are picking up the rest of Cishek's contract.

I think this is a good trade for both teams.

Looks like Beslile is likely headed to the 60 day DL, so he'll fit that roster spot.

As a Cubs fan I'd offer
Torres or Baez
McKinney or Almora
Edwards
Johnson or Tseng
Vogelbach
+ low level guy for Hamels and Paps + take 80% of their $$$.

King Greinke and his wife gave birth to a baby boy named Bode Nicholas Greinke yesterday. Friedman signed Bode to a $5,000/25-yr contract as a pitcher. Bode will report to the Minors tomorrow.

I guess I should clarify that the only reason I think this is a good trade for Miami is the fact that Cishek was the most likely candidate to be non-tendering after this season. I highly doubt the Marlins would have spent the money to resign him.

I also have faith in our farm system, and I think if the kid has a the talent to make it to the league, the Marlins will do a good job of developing it. I would like to think they saw something in this kid, since they passed on offers from the Dodgers and Pirates.

I guess I should clarify that the only reason I think this is a good trade for Miami is the fact that Cishek was the most likely candidate to be non-tendering after this season. I highly doubt the Marlins would have spent the money to resign him.

I also have faith in our farm system, and I think if the kid has a the talent to make it to the league, the Marlins will do a good job of developing it. I would like to think they saw something in this kid, since they passed on offers from the Dodgers and Pirates.

They should trade Stanton to a real organization.
The Yankees

Top Bottom