• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 Regular Season |OT3| Only 187 More Days Till Opening Day 2016

3N16MA

Banned
Who do you think beats Trout for MVP? I'm trying to understand your weird thought processes with mvps and cy youngs.

Donaldson has a legit shot unless you have been living under a rock and haven't noticed him.

Claiming Kershaw is the best pitcher in the NL and deserves to win is weird? I think you have a hard time understanding that who I think deserves to win and who I think will win are two different things.

zroid

Banned
One of the things I hadn't realized in the Donaldson vs Trout debate is that JD's WAR is pumped up slightly by having more plate appearances as a result of the Blue Jays' lineup being turned over more often than the Angels'.

To be honest even as a Jays fan I think Trout deserves it, but the narrative seems to have shifted toward Donaldson since August. Trout's been hot recently though so who knows. Angels missing the playoffs could hurt him.

zychi

Banned
Donaldson has a legit shot unless you have been living under a rock and haven't noticed him.

Claiming Kershaw is the best pitcher in the NL and deserves to win is weird? I think you have a hard time understanding that who I think deserves to win and who I think will win are two different things.
I was expecting someone besides Donaldson to come from you.

You are very vague, and have been riding on Kershaw for a week or two since our last discussion. So you haven't made a distinction between who you think will win, and who you think deserves to win.

I think you're confused about your post history in this thread.

3N16MA

Banned
I was expecting someone besides Donaldson to come from you.

You are very vague, and have been riding on Kershaw for a week or two since our last discussion. So you haven't made a distinction between who you think will win, and who you think deserves to win.

I think you're confused about your post history in this thread.

Riding on Kerhsaw? Mind finding those posts? I have been pretty clear.

Arrieta - If he is the only pitcher with 20+ wins and a sub 2 ERA I think he wins it. His 2nd half along with the Cubs making the postseason will push him to the top spot. Kerhsaw is the better pitcher with the better season and the numbers support him outside of ERA.

Who I think wins it - Arrieta

Who I think deserves it - Kerhsaw

clemenx

Banned
I just hope no one throws a hissy fit when their fave doesn't win the NL cy and the AL MVP. all 5 candidates in those are equally deserving.

jman2050

One of the things I hadn't realized in the Donaldson vs Trout debate is that JD's WAR is pumped up slightly by having more plate appearances as a result of the Blue Jays' lineup being turned over more often than the Angels'.

To be honest even as a Jays fan I think Trout deserves it, but the narrative seems to have shifted toward Donaldson since August. Trout's been hot recently though so who knows. Angels missing the playoffs could hurt him.

Angels missing the playoffs almost certainly means Donaldson is taking it. This isn't a "Harper is lapping the field" situation, the two are in a virtual dead heat. And, for better and for worse, the MVP voters already have a convenient tiebreaker they like.

JDeluis

I just hope no one throws a hissy fit when their fave doesn't win the NL cy and the AL MVP. all 5 candidates in those are equally deserving.

That happened last year when Kershaw won MVP and Cy young. Especially when people don't relize that voting happens before the postseason starts.

Grienke is winning Cy this year anyway.

So yanks or stros'. Which you think gaf.

Yanks have been playing like shit for the past few weeks...but you know, they got pinstripes so you never know.

jbug617

Banned
From Nick Carfardo:
The Red Sox had an offer on the table for Xander Bogaerts from the Nationals at last year’s winter meetings, according to a major league source. The Nationals would have dealt righthander Jordan Zimmermann and given the Sox a choice of another player. Ian Desmond was mentioned. The Red Sox turned it down. It appears Zimmermann could be one of the Red Sox’ top targets in free agency.

zulux21

Astros clubhouse speech (which was live on TV, lol)

"one thing they will say forever is we are a fucking playoff team."

until they beat the yankees Tuesday I sure as hell won't say it as it's not a play off it's a play in and the team that loses didn't make it to the play offs.

also thank you so much seatle for winning... now the white sox have a protected draft pick at number 10.

zroid

Banned
Rockies finish in last for the 4th year in a row.

Screw you, Monforts.

Hop on the bandwagon bro. Plenty of room.

VN3O2rP.png

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
"one thing they will say forever is we are a fucking playoff team."

until they beat the yankees Tuesday I sure as hell won't say it as it's not a play off it's a play in and the team that loses didn't make it to the play offs.

also thank you so much seatle for winning... now the white sox have a protected draft pick at number 10.

Technically it's the playoffs, but personally I don't consider the play-in game the playoffs.

zulux21

Technically it's the playoffs, but personally I don't consider the play-in game the playoffs.

they can call it what ever they want, I will never accept a single game as a playoff, but merely a play in to get to the real playoffs.

if my team made it to the wild card and then got eliminated I sure as hell would not be claiming that they made it to the playoffs.

zulux21

Hop on the bandwagon bro. Plenty of room.

http://i.imgur.com/VN3O2rP.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

meh
[QUOTE][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Gwu6qLE.png
is the only reason I am partially rooting for the jays, and then he won't even be on the playoff roster so yeah :/

zroid

Banned
meh

is the only reason I am partially rooting for the jays, and then he won't even be on the playoff roster so yeah :/
It's too bad he couldn't hold it together. Dude was a warrior for the first half of the season, easily the Jays' best starter in May and June, things just fell apart for him lately. The good news is he'll be in uniform sitting in the dugout so it'll feel like he's on the roster.

Yeah, it's too bad about Buehrle. He's a great guy and has been a very good pitcher for many years, including parts of this season. I feel bad for him.

I'm afraid after the Yankees/Astros game, the Yankees are going to offer Carlos Correa a $100,000,000 deal to join them.

don't think they can do that for a few years.

Trout will lead the AL in WAR once again and only topped by Harper overall. Very real possibility he finishes 2nd in AL MVP voting for the third time.

Donaldson? it wouldn't be a bad choice. I don't think you can give a guy an award based on one (important) number.

also, I don't get Confusing Jazz response to Sanjuro. can someone explain?

d

He bumped an old thread where Sanjuro said the Astros wouldn't make the playoffs until 2017 by tanking, which prompted 1/2 the members of MLB-GAF to jizz themselves.

The reality is Sanjuro was trying to convey the point that teams in baseball don't make the playoffs by tanking.

The thread was before the 2014 Season, with the Astros coming off their third straight 100+ loss season. Sanjuro said the Astros sucked because they were cheap and weren't tanking to get good. I said the Astros sucked because they were tanking to get draft prospects and selling anything over the age of 23 to get more prospects. The Phillies were very helpful in this endeavor. After the Astros took the wild card, I was feeling very happy, and remembered this conversation I had with him a couple years ago.

Also, I was wrong, I thought the Astros were only going to be above .500 this year, not nab a playoff spot (and choke away the division!)

Besides, Sanjuro has a wealth of posts in there that all could have been bumped. I just chose that one because it was the most concise. 1 2 3

Sanjuro

Sorta in 2014. They still sucked, but they stopped trading out, Luhnow started to promote prospects, and they fired Bo Porter (a dick move, but whatever)

I think the confusion on this discussion is between sucking and tanking.

If we are saying the Astros tanked for one specific player, then they purposely lost games in order to obtain the first overall draft selection and not sign the player? That doesn't make any sense.

Sanjuro

I think this is your and Sanjuro's issue here. You think they tanked for A draft spot. That's not what they did.

Not fielding a high salary team while bolstering your farm and prospects isn't tanking though. They didn't handcuff themselves to a particular player or position.

It was implied by the preceding discussion in that thread.

If not, I have no idea why they allegedly tanked? To fire Porter?

To acquire prospects. Loads of them.

Draft position is one part.
More money to spend on the draft as a last place team (this one is super egregious and ripe for abuse.)
More money to spend on Latin American Academies as a last place team (Also super egregious and ripe for abuse)
Selling anyone over the age of 25 that showed a pulse for prospects. Doesn't matter how good the player is, one of those prospects might turn out to be a middle reliever or something.
Any prospects that did show promise were restricted to the Minor Leagues until the second half of last season.

Here is a better article on why the Astros did what they did: http://grantland.com/features/hoarding-prospects-being-horrible-houston-astros/

Yes, tanking for a draft pick doesn't work. But tanking for prospects, and strip mining your team, can work when done right.

If you feel that tanking should only be reserved for a draft pick, whatever. Call it strip mining, call it something else, but they weren't going to suck during the second half of this decade, and the big reason why is because they sucked in the first half of this decade.

Not fielding a high salary team while bolstering your farm and prospects isn't tanking though. They didn't handcuff themselves to a particular player or position.

They purposely fielded a bad team, that's tanking. Why they are tanking is irrelevant.

Top Bottom