• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason |OT| At Least Next Year is an Odd Numbered Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm completely fine cutting him. He's garbage. Eat the 14 million or whatever he's owed this year and just find a guy to catch Lester if he doesn't want Contreras. What a real piece of shit. He had clutch hits in the playoffs and still wants to bitch about playing time after the bad year he had. He was unplayable most of the time because he has such a poor throwing arm we would have been ran all over.

lmao, relax. you don't think this is how the majority of players feel when they lose playing time? he got drunk celebrating and let it slip. i really could not care less.

The Cubs traded a hot SS prospect for a veteran pitcher (Chapman), and picked up Jon Lester to anchor the rotation. Chapman wasn't all that great but the bats pick him up in extras and the Cubs win and everyone's a genius.

In 2014, The A's trade a hot SS prospect for a veteran pitcher (Shark), and picked up Jon Lester to anchor the rotation. Shark was great down the stretch and was the reason they got to the playoffs, but all the bats get hurt and the A's lose and everyone's an idiot.

Baseball is a bitch sometimes.

gleyber torres is not in the same stratosphere that russell was in terms of prospect status. the situations aren't really comparable. also, how does lester fit into this analogy? he was signed as a free agent by the cubs for several years, he wasn't a 3 month rental.

bebop242

lmao, relax. you don't think this is how the majority of players feel when they lose playing time? he got drunk celebrating and let it slip. i really could not care less.

This was said while he was celebrating? Lol he was barely keeping it together when they won the NLCS, he was prob out of his mind here.

If I just won the World Series, I don't think I'd go on the radio two days later and complain about a lack of playing time. And he even brought up that he was a 2-time all-star, which really shows he has no idea what his place in the game is these days. The reason he was on the bench was because his arm was unplayable with our pitching staff. Sure you can get by with a guy like that in the regular season for a stretch, but in the postseason he's very limited to where you can use him. It just sounds like a guy that's not buying in.

gamz

gleyber torres is not in the same stratosphere that russell was in terms of prospect status. the situations aren't really comparable. also, how does lester fit into this analogy? he was signed as a free agent by the cubs for several years, he wasn't a 3 month rental.

True.

I think Montero is mostly pissed with the way he played this year. He talked multiple times about how he was disappointed in his play this year.

Mets should use that Walker money on Wade Davis and try to trade Bruce so they can add $13M on top of the $25+M per year on Ces.

Lester fits into it because he's the same guy both teams pursued? He worked great for the Cubs and terribly for the A's.

Saying that the strategies were similar but the outcomes very different.

And it doesn't matter the tier of prospect or if Lester was a rental or a signing if the comparison point is the same, specifically making a run in a particular year.

It's not a criticism of the Cubs, it's that moves can be seen as genius or terrible based on other factors and that playoff baseball can be a crapshoot.

You really can't judge baseball trades based on results. You have to judge them for what they were traded for at the time.

Yeah, that was my point in a roundabout way.

I think in both cases the strategy was right. Just one worked out well and one didn't. Cest la vie and all that.

Yeah, that was my point in a roundabout way.

I think in both cases the strategy was right. Just one worked out well and one didn't. Cest la vie and all that.

Yep, the A's had a short window and went for it. That same strategy ended up working out for the team that beat them that year anyway so it wasn't wrong.

Trading for Shark (and Hammels) was the right move, Lester for Cespedes was a great deal since Yo was gonna leave regardless.

It just didn't work out, happens.

zulux21

so the white sox are apparently listening on pretty much their entire roster.

I wonder what team overpays for sale.

Malo

Banned
No way you get Sale without giving up Swanson. Just like we wouldn't be able to get Sale without giving up Sanchez. Swanson has to be in the deal if I'm the white sox.
Very. Probably going for a cheaper option or Montgomery.

Hammel should do real well in this thin pitching market.
So, what are you guys going to do about your rotation post 2017?

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
We don't need Sale. Max Fried will lead us to the promised land.

(I'll take Quintana though.)

gamz

No way you get Sale without giving up Swanson. Just like we wouldn't be able to get Sale without giving up Sanchez. Swanson has to be in the deal if I'm the white sox.

*shrugs*

The FO will figure it out. No worries.

I expect the Cubs to bid heavily on FA pitching next offseason and hoping somehow Otani comes here. We also could trade Soler for a controllable starter this offseason too.

CygnusXS

OK, trade for Quintana, trade for Swihart, sign Hammel.

Do nothing else.

There's my offseason.

The Red Sox aren't parting with Moncada or Benintendi or Betts or Bogaerts or Devers for Sale

The White Sox will get Shaw and Slim Panda and like it!

Malo

Banned
I expect the Cubs to bid heavily on FA pitching next offseason and hoping somehow Otani comes here. We also could trade Soler for a controllable starter this offseason too.
Next off season does have some pretty good starters hitting FA ( Darvish, Tanaka, Arrieta).

Pretty nice of the Cubs to decline Hammels option. They easily could have picked it up and dealt him. I think Montgomery would have been the 5th starter next year even if we kept him, but we're not as deep in the rotation anymore. Not too worried about how our future rotation is going to look. Pretty sure Arrieta is going to be gone, but I wouldn't want to be the team that gave him his big deal anyways.

bebop242

Pretty nice of the Cubs to decline Hammels option. They easily could have picked it up and dealt him. I think Montgomery would have been the 5th starter next year even if we kept him, but we're not as deep in the rotation anymore. Not too worried about how our future rotation is going to look. Pretty sure Arrieta is going to be gone, but I wouldn't want to be the team that gave him his big deal anyways.

I hope they don't resign Arrieta, let someone else overpay. Either replenish via free agency or by trading some prospects.

I still hold hope they find a way to keep Fowler.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Wouldn't be shocked if the Braves dip into their prospect pool and get Sale.
Not that you can believe him but Coppolella did say this recently:
“We weren’t going to go after those guys anyway. It was not efficient for us,” Coppolella said. “You don’t buy No. 1 starters, you grow them. You draft them, you develop them. For us, it’s not efficient for us to go out and buy a No. 1 starter. Unless something drastically changes, you won’t see us going after a No. 1 starter.”
http://www.ajc.com/sports/baseball/...l-there-good-one-made/HQkjNvJn5aUMDaqqApdvPJ/

Yeah I agree. Worry about the OBP at the top of the lineup if Heyward can't bounce back.

I think Zobrist is our lead off guy next year if Fowler isn't back. I'm torn on the Fowler situation. Love the guy and want him to get what he deserves, but I'm not sure if it makes sense for the Cubs.

zulux21

We don't need Sale. Max Fried will lead us to the promised land.

(I'll take Quintana though.)
I really don't think Quintana will move this offseason.

his value is actually about the same if not more than sale but the offers the white sox will get offered will be lower than sale as he doesn't have any press coverage on him despite being a better pitcher than sale the last few years in most ways that aren't related to throwing a ball fast.

CygnusXS

I really don't think Quintana will move this offseason.

his value is actually about the same if not more than sale but the offers the white sox will get offered will be lower than sale as he doesn't have any press coverage on him despite being a better pitcher than sale the last few years in most ways that aren't related to throwing a ball fast.

Separate from if you think he will be, do you think he should be?

zulux21

Separate from if you think he will be, do you think he should be?

If they can get a package near his value sure.

really I think the white sox move this time will be a short term rebuild.

basically trading their established mlb talent for near ready minor league talent where they will use a lot of that talent in the majors level with any mlb talent they couldn't move and try for it seriously next year. (aka trade sale for a high pitching prospect that is near ready and a high batting prospect where even if the pitching just turns out to be a number 2 or 3 starter the value of the batter will be greater when combined with the pitcher than sale was.)

given the owner of the white sox I just can't see them going for a long term rebuild like the cubs did.

Malo

Banned
Carlos Ruiz got traded to the Mariners, if anyone cares.
YRZLkFC.gif

Kettch

Sad to see Hammel go. He was in Cy Young territory for the first half of the year. Hell, ignoring that rain delay start he had it was more like the first 2/3 of the season. Hope he manages to fix whatever consistency problem he had toward the end with his next team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom