• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season Official Thread - Do Not Attempt to Ketchup

wbsmcs

Even though they're not getting big hits the Jays batters seem better today. Not chasing outside pitches. First time this year I think where they actually have more walks than strikeouts 5/3

wbsmcs

Alright Martin! Great at bat against Kimbrel.

Is Happ going to be going out there for the 8th? Really wished they didn't use Osuna yesterday.

Heh, Jays don't have a DH for the rest of the game

Sportsnet Stats ‏@SNstats 12s12 seconds ago

#BlueJays starters have now thrown 88 innings, the most in the majors.

Might be because the Jays have actually played all their games but that's still an unexpected stat

Edit 2 - That's the Cecil and Pillar from last year :D

Parch

Showing a little more patience definitely seems to be a change. I wonder if credit should go to the coaches or if the players finally realized that just hacking away wasn't accomplishing anything besides strikeout totals.

wbsmcs

The Jays just haven't been chasing today. Hopefully this is the start of them seeing the ball well and they could carry this into Baltimore and sweep the Os. 1st in the ALE by Thursday!

wbsmcs

God fucking dammit Drew Storen.

Gibby does not know how to handle a bullpen. Wasted Osuna yesterday in a 5-1 game.

Zaun is definitely gonna have something to say about this hahaha

Parch

Got it done. The last couple of innings were interesting.
Happ and the rest of the rotation have really been solid.

wbsmcs

Got it done. The last couple of innings were interesting.
Happ and the rest of the rotation have really been solid.

Rotation has been a big surprise this year. If Estrada and Happ can be reliable 3/4s the Jays might have the best rotation in the ALE by the end of the year.

The last pitch only looked high and outside because Martin was set up way inside and low, had to reach the other way quickly to catch it

41nnJlx.gif

Brashnir

I hope he gets his act together. Right now he has to be considered situational instead of guaranteed to be the 8th guy or backup closer.

He'll shatter his hand punching a locker soon enough. I'm surprised it didn't happen when he didn't get the closer job coming out of preseason.

I slept through the Blue Jays game, because I haven't been sleeping that well as of late. Friends came over after the funeral Saturday, and we drank. I only got about 4 hours of sleep, then passed out yesterday afternoon, was up all night, then passed out again at 8am until 3.

Glad they won, though. It sounds like it was a good one. I was hoping to watch due to the weird 11am start time.

Why did Storen close instead of Osuna?

Line_HTX

Jose Altuve AL co-player of the week. Immediately after Tyler White was player of the week.

Whoo-hoo!

What is OPS and how come it's over a thousand? Is it like slugging percentage?

God fucking dammit Drew Storen.

Gibby does not know how to handle a bullpen. Wasted Osuna yesterday in a 5-1 game.

Zaun is definitely gonna have something to say about this hahaha

A bit unfair to Gibbons. Storen is supposed to be able to handle those situations (which to be fair he almost didn't), and the Jays have to get him going at some point.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Jose Altuve AL co-player of the week. Immediately after Tyler White was player of the week.

Whoo-hoo!

What is OPS and how come it's over a thousand? Is it like slugging percentage?
yep on base plus slugging. Combines two stats into one which works ok. it's over 1000 because of this. elite on base percentage is over .400 (40%). elite slugging percentage is over .500, well I guess .600 for elite, .500 for great.

If you want the best all offensive stat then look at Weighted Runs Created Plus (wRC+).

http://www.fangraphs.com/library/offense/wrc/

They scale it to the league average so its easier to tell what is good or not. Basically a wRC+ of 100 is average. wRC+ of 105 means the player is 5% above average offensively.

Here is the 2016 wRC+ leaderboard so far.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...am=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=17,d

Early still so stats are still inflated.

Tyler White is 5th on that list and Jose Altuve is 12th. Not sure if you can sort it by week to week though but I think Tyler White was #1 for awhile.

For comparison, here is the 2015 leaderboard

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...am=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=17,d

And here are the all time single season offensive years by wRC+

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...am=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=18,d

Barry Bonds / Babe Ruth. /bow

Top Bottom