• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season Official Thread - Do Not Attempt to Ketchup

God, that Jays video makes me cringe looking at the field. I get that it's aesthetically pleasing, unlike say Tropicana, but it's also some damn ridiculous bouncy rubber madness. I watched balls spring over outfielders last season and just scratched my head.

Why? Doesn't it rain enough in Toronto? Too cold for real grass or something?

harSon

Banned
Small sample size dude. It'll be okay.

It was painfully clear in the off season that Nutting and Huntington were punting this season in hopes of competing next season. Why? Because we have a bunch of studs in the minors who are a 1/2 season to 1 year away from coming up to the Majors, and it's a plan that won't cost them any money. They put a team on the field that they hoped would tread water until Glasnow, Taillon, Hanson and Bell made their way up - and maybe they'd be enough to get them into the playoffs. If not, they'll have a half season of experience under their belt and we'll give it a go next season. But at least we didn't have to spend any money!

We came into the season desperately needing to bolster the back end of our rotation, and solidify the bullpen. What did we do? We let a bunch of players walk, and tried to replace them with Vogelsong, Nicasio and Niese. Statistically, it was obvious what our pitching was going to amount to once the season rolled around, and to the surprise of no Pirates fan - it's absolutely awful.

ZMfdrIC.gif

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Thankfully for you, your division is ass and the Rangers are getting absurdly lucky.

Unluckily for you, you'll need to trade Bregman to fix the rotation.

Hopefully McCullers is back soon, seems like he's right on schedule.

Martes is one of their top pitching prospects, but it looks like he's struggling a bit at AA.

I wouldn't go into panic mode just yet and fucking trade Bregman. :p

God, that Jays video makes me cringe looking at the field. I get that it's aesthetically pleasing, unlike say Tropicana, but it's also some damn ridiculous bouncy rubber madness. I watched balls spring over outfielders last season and just scratched my head.

Why? Doesn't it rain enough in Toronto? Too cold for real grass or something?

Until this year the excuse was that they were sharing the field with the CFL team, and that changing it from baseball to football meant grass wouldn't work out.

Now the excuse is that they're just too cheap.

Got it. Gotta protect the bottom line, so the cheap owners thing at least makes sense. The field just seems super pretty while actually being super terrible for playing baseball.

Actually, the grass field stuff might be the one area of the Jays where fans can't take the owners to task (if anything people should be annoyed with AA and Beeston).

As I understand it, the Dome has to remain closed until the average daily temp is 10 degrees Celsius, which for Toronto doesn't happen until mid-April to early May. Grass would take a minimum 6 weeks to be ready for baseball after planting. Apparently a company has approached the Jays with type of grass seed that can go about that long without sunlight and still grow - but that still would mean the Jays couldn't use their stadium until May, which obviously doesn't work.

There might be a way to 'fix' the Dome (it isn't winterized, which is kind of crazy), and I'd guess that it would be something they'd look at while doing this massive renovation project.

BFIB

Cards/DBacks start tonight.

Garcia usually doesn't fare as well on the road, and Grienke is primed to get on track. Should be a good matchup.

Hopefully I can see it, without throwing up constantly looking at the D'Backs unis.

zroid

Banned
I gotta say, this new series of Jays commercials that have players interacting with media personalities is pretty great

I rarely praise Sportsnet for anything but they nailed it here

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Andrew Vazzano ‏@AVSNY

50 players have more home runs than the entire Atlanta Braves team.

Top Bottom