• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season Official Thread - Do Not Attempt to Ketchup

RBH

grKOj3a.png

We're not in last place!

OY2ZEE.gif

BumRush

Storen just needs a change of scenery I think. He was a really good closer less than a year ago, but his head got messed up when the nats took him out of the role.

crpav

What's wrong with the Dodgers? Are they just destined to go downhill from here on out?

I'm a White Sox fan but dad is a huge Dodgers fan from WAY back and always has been so I got a bit of love for them because of that. Hate to see them just not live up to what they could/should be.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/max-scherzer-at-his-best-at-his-best/
My favorite thing about watching Scherzer pitch is the fastball down the middle. Scherzer throws more fastballs down the middle than any pitcher in baseball, and there’s nothing wrong with it. For some pitchers, a fastball down the middle can ruin a start. For Scherzer, the fastball down the middle is integral to his identity as a pitcher.

Consider this: Scherzer’s thrown a league-leading 51 fastballs down the middle this year, and batters have swung 43 times. Of those 41 swings, they’ve whiffed 14. 14! That’s twice as many as any other pitcher. One-third of all swings against Scherzer’s fastballs down the middle have resulted in whiffs. Scherzer has gotten more whiffs per swing on his fastball down the middle than all but one pitcher have had on their fastballs outside the zone. When batters have chased a Noah Syndergaard fastball outside the zone, they’ve whiffed 24% of the time this year. When they’ve swung at a Scherzer heater right down the middle, they’ve whiffed 33% of the time. Max Scherzer’s fastball is impossible.

What's wrong with the Dodgers? Are they just destined to go downhill from here on out?

I'm a White Sox fan but dad is a huge Dodgers fan from WAY back and always has been so I got a bit of love for them because of that. Hate to see them just not live up to what they could/should be.
Just no consistency. Everything can be hit or miss at the moment.

How are fans reacting towards Puig? Are they fed up or are they being patient and hoping that he could be part of the future?
It's mixed. I think people generally like him and think he's a huge piece of this team, but there are some fans who probably wouldn't care if he was gone due to his performance in recent years. Just like I am with Joc I'm pretty patient with the guy because I know what he can do. He just needs some kind of batting whisperer or something right now. Stuck in a slump that he's just unable to dig himself out of. There are times when he comes through in big ways offensively but they are so few and far between. Defensively he's solid player who's still learning.
What do you think of Roberts?

To me, looks like a guy in way over his head and way out of his depth.
He's probably not the right guy to run a clubhouse like this. I just feel like he's not holding players accountable for what they're putting on the field right now. It was something I felt during the Mattingly era too. They're too nice. His bullpen choices aren't exactly lighting anyone on fire (except for opposing team scores! hur hur hur) but it's not like he has much to work with outside of Jansen.

How are fans reacting towards Puig? Are they fed up or are they being patient and hoping that he could be part of the future?

im getting a bit impatient with puig personally

the throws and defense are great but I feel like we're forever waiting for him to get it together at the plate.. his numbers are trending down since his debut

crpav

Ever have days where you seem to just miss news from your favorite sport? Yesterday was one of those days.

After feeling down about the White Sox losing earlier to the Rangers and their second in a row I just shut the baseball world and news out of my mind. Checked news this morning and saw the 2 homeruns from Thor and was like "geez Dodgers you not only gave up 2 bombs to him but they accounted for the only runs they scored and you lost from it."

Worse than that is I had no idea until just checking MLB.com that Sherzer had 20 Ks. I feel bad as I should.

They were down 6 starting pitchers before the season even started.

It's a miracle they are as competitive as they are.

This poll is complete trash. Barves as the #2 most popular team? Kris Bryant more popular than Mike Trout? Watching pitchers strike out in 2016?

Oh, and old people hate the bat flip.

-It's a giant mish mash trying to identify either the most popular team or the most popular player in Major League Baseball. 6 different teams poll between 10 and 15% for favorite honors- the Cubs get 15%, the Braves 13%, the Yankees 12%, the Red Sox 11%, and the Royals and Dodgers each 10%. The Mets at 5% and Cardinals at 4% round out the list we tested. It's a similar story with the players-4 different ones lead the way, all polling within a band of 10-12%. It's Clayton Kershaw at 12%, Kris Bryant at 11%, Bryce Harper and David Ortiz at 10, followed by Mike Trout at 9%, Madison Bumgarner at 8%, Matt Harvey and Buster Posey at 4%, and Andrew McCutchen at 3%.

We get more clarity when it comes to the baseball specific issues we polled about. Instant replay has ceased to really be controversial at all- 82% of fans support it to only 11% who are opposed to it. Last year when we polled on the issue of whether fans would prefer the pitcher batting or the Designated Hitter, we were surprised to find that pitchers hitting won out 55-33. This year the margin in favor of pitchers hitting is even wider at 65/25. Of course this poll was fielding when Bartolo Colon went deep, so that could have created a spike of public opinion in favor of pitchers hitting. We find that 51% of fans think Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens belong in the Hall of Fame compared to only 34% who think they should continue to be excluded- there's a big divide between fans and the writers who vote on that issue. And finally we find that fans are pro-bat flip. 48% approve of them to just 31% who disapprove. There's a big generational divide on the bat flip issue though with young fans pro bat flip by a 79/9 spread and seniors against them 23/43.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2015/PPP_Release_National_51216.pdf

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
30+ years on national TV, 14 straight years winning the division, in the NLCS or world series every year in the 90s. of course the braves are popular.

They were called America's Team for a reason.

Agreed. If nothing else, the Braves certainly lay claim as Team of the South.

Top Bottom