• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season Official Thread - Do Not Attempt to Ketchup

Hey this game could be something extra special from Kershaw. He is absolutely dealing tonight.

This guy... He can pitch a bit.

Wait, Kershaw is 80-0 when he gets 4 runs of support? Is that true?

EDIT: I guess it is holy shit

Malo

Banned
Yankees to promote Gary Sanchez. I don't think they're going to carry 3 catchers, maybe Romine is getting DFA'd? It wouldn't make sense since Romine has been playing well.

fuckin mike scioscia. 2 on, none out, and a 3-1 count with a reeling wainwright on the mound, and he gives the cards an out with a bunt. maybe helps them scratch across 1 extra run, and then the cards immediately answer with 5. i can't believe some teams still employ managers like this in 2016.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
fuckin mike scioscia. 2 on, none out, and a 3-1 count with a reeling wainwright on the mound, and he gives the cards an out with a bunt. maybe helps them scratch across 1 extra run, and then the cards immediately answer with 5. i can't believe some teams still employ managers like this in 2016.

wtX20b7.jpg

He just wanted to run the solid contaminant encapsulator, give him a break.

crpav

Yankees playing decent ball lately. Chase Headley spotting, too.

Yes and I'm scared as a White Sox fan. So many over at the reddit White Sox forum, after the 2 losses to Texas, think "oh easy 2 wins with Sale and Quintana". I don't think like that because well I can never be optimistic.

gamz

Yes and I'm scared as a White Sox fan. So many over at the reddit White Sox forum, after the 2 losses to Texas, think "oh easy 2 wins with Sale and Quintana". I don't think like that because well I can never be optimistic.

Yep, it's the easy games that always worry me.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
mlb.com mock draft #3 by Jonathan Mayo and Jim Callis
We're roughly four weeks away from the start of the 2016 Draft, a fine time to try to get a sense of the first-round landscape with our first crack at projecting that opening round.

A lot can and will change, of course, before the picks are announced live on MLB Network and MLB.com on June 9 (7 p.m. ET, with a one-hour preview show airing at 6 p.m.). But based on the information currently out there and having talked to scouting directors up and down the first round, here's a first guess at how things could unfold.
1. Phillies: Kyle Lewis, OF, Mercer
2. Reds: A.J. Puk, LHP, Florida
3. Braves: Jason Groome, LHP, Barnegat (N.J.) H.S.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/17774...-1-in-latest-mlb-mock-draft?topicid=151437456

I mean, Kershaw.

He stuck out 13 and walked 1 last night.

This actually LOWERED his K/BB ratio for the year.

He's now sitting at 19.25 K/BB. 77 Ks, 4 walks.

How the holy hell.

I may switch tv providers just so I can watch this guy every start the rest of the way. And to hear Vin of course. Screw this TWC deal so hard.

RBH

635967005754174027-0419UofLvsUKBaseb008-DRL.JPG

University of Louisville All-America outfielder Corey Ray is ranked as the No. 1 prospect for this year's major league amateur draft, according to ESPN.com scouting analyst Keith Law.

Law wrote in a post Wednesday afternoon unveiling his top 100 prospects that there is no clear-cut top prospect in this year's draft, a la Bryce Harper of years past, but he is leaning toward Ray, a junior who is among the nation's best base stealers but can also hit for average and power, as his No. 1 player.

"Right now, if I had the top pick, I think I'd go with Ray, the best all-around college position player who is at worst a solid everyday left fielder with the upside of a Ray Lankford (whose name I've heard from a couple of scouts over the past year as a comp for Ray)," Law wrote. "He can hit; he can run; he has some power. Although center field, where he plays part of the time for Louisville, is a pipe dream, he could develop into a capable left fielder. I think he goes among the top three picks."

Ray, who bats leadoff for Louisville, is hitting .325 with a .395 on-base percentage and leads the team with 13 home runs, 54 RBIs and 35 stolen bases in 49 games.
http://www.courier-journal.com/stor...-ranked-prospect-mlb-espn-keith-law/84243520/

I mean, Kershaw.

He stuck out 13 and walked 1 last night.

This actually LOWERED his K/BB ratio for the year.

He's now sitting at 19.25 K/BB. 77 Ks, 4 walks.

How the holy hell.

I may switch tv providers just so I can watch this guy every start the rest of the way. And to hear Vin of course. Screw this TWC deal so hard.
Yeah screw Time Warner. It's awful service. I had so much trouble either with the internet or cable being down. I wish I can get Charter instead.

Windu

Recording 20 strikeouts is an amazing feat — and a rare one, too: this past Wednesday, Max Scherzer joined Roger Clemens, Kerry Wood, and Randy Johnson as the only players ever to accomplish it in nine innings. What they’ve done is exceptional and, naturally, separates them from other pitchers. And while similar, each performance occurred in the context of different variables which made it distinct: era, opponent, ballpark, etc. No one is required to decide which pitcher faced the most challenging set of circumstances among those five games (Clemens did it twice). Yet, I’ve elected to make an attempt, anyway.
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/max-scherzers-20-strikeouts-and-quality-of-competition/

this makes that Kerry Wood start even more impressive.

BFIB

What was the last good baseball movie?

Don't watch Cobb. Someone recommended that to me, and I'm thinking it would be a biography on Cobb. Nope, just Tommy Lee Jones playing Cobb near the end of his life still being a racist asshole.

wbsmcs

Not trying to look ahead...

But if the Jays get past this Dickey start, they should be looking good for a sweep of Texas.

A long win streak would be nice right about now.

Windu

http://m.phillies.mlb.com/news/article/177695752/why-is-home-plate-shaped-different-than-other-bases
YEs0bTW.jpg

Mitchell asks: Why is home plate shaped different than other bases?

Oftentimes, the most exciting part of a baseball game is the competition between the pitcher and the batter. The pitcher stares down the batter as he adjusts his grip on the ball and prepares for the most perfect pitch his arm can throw; the batter returns the pitcher's glare as he holds the bat loose in his hands and anticipates his hit. In the early years, rules surrounding pitchers and hitters were loose at best. But as the game progressed, so did the rules.

Pertinent to the topic at hand, home base went through three major shape changes over the years.

To begin with, prior to 1899, the rules regarding home plate were extremely loose. Any object round in nature could serve as home base. During this time when shape was what mattered most, the circular object used could be made of marble, stone, glass (!) or any other materials. At times, even a dish served as home base, which some think may have led to the alternate name -- home plate.

In 1899/1900, the rule regarding home plate's shape changed, requiring the base to be square in shape, as opposed to circular, so it matched the rest of the bases. The 12″ x 12″ square (later to become a 16″ x 16″ square) was positioned so one corner pointed toward the pitcher and the opposite corner pointed toward the catcher. As a result, the inner and outer edges of the strike zone were determined by the other two corners of the base.

In addition, this now square base was made out of stone or marble, with edges occasionally sharp enough to slice skin. (Not surprisingly, sliding into home plate didn't become popular until after rubber was adopted as the standard material for home base.) If all this wasn't bad enough, it wasn't that many years before this that catchers did not wear any sort of glove when receiving pitches.

This brings us to the irregular pentagon shape of home base that we know and love today. This was developed by Robert Keating and introduced as a viable option for the 1900/1901 baseball season. The rear corners, which extend to a point, are made to be perpendicular to the first and third base lines. The biggest advantage of the new shape was that it made the edges of the strike zone more visible to pitchers and umpires and, therefore, improved the consistency of calling strikes.

Beyond the shape, although rubber had been occasionally used prior to this, the new design specifically required home plate be made of rubber. Keating's reasons for picking rubber here were that the springy nature of a rubber base would give base runners a bounce to their step when they took off for first base; it would not harshly vibrate the batter's hands when he struck the base with the end of his bat; and it would prevent severe injuries from occurring when base runners slid into home.

So in the end, home base is primarily shaped differently than the other bases, because its purpose is different. Whereas other bases are used primarily for base runners, home plate has an added use in being essential in determining the strike zone.

Top Bottom