• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season Official Thread - Do Not Attempt to Ketchup

Because, for some inexplicable reason, someone at a high level of management extended him through the 2016 season with a club option for 2017 in July of last year.

Once that decision was made, well, corporate inertia sets in. The exec can't admit to being wrong on a decision like that, so you have to wait until the manager does such a horrible job you have to get rid of the guy.

So, the question isn't really "why didn't they fire him sooner".

It's more why the FUCK was he extended in July 2015?

Because the team was expected to be horrible last year too, and they weren't at first. They were 42-42 84 games in, and 4.0 out of first place on July 7. It would have looked bad not to extend him for success with a bad team. Also, Bobby Cox had a lot to do with them keeping Fredi as long as they did.

Marly Rivera
ESPN Writer

The always eloquent David Price on former teammate José Bautista and his perception around the league: "When you face guys you never get a chance to get around them or to know them on a personal level, and everybody passes judgment. It's not okay, but that' what's going to happen. I wasn't a huge fan of Bautista, facing him all the years, him hitting all those home runs off me. I wasn't a huge fan of him. But I will endorse that guy now any time. He's a great guy and teammate. He works so hard. He comes in every single day with a ton of energy and a desire to win. He's a guy that if he's in the opposing team you may not like him, but he's the guy you want on your team. Ian Kinsler was the same for me. I hated him when he was in Texas. I hated facing him; there was just something about him. But then being Kinsler's teammate for a year with the Tigers, he's in my top five of all-time favorite people that I have ever played with. You got to get to know the person, not the player. Out on the field emotions always run high. It's just a part of it."

Bautista does come off as a douche though. He does that to himself.

nah dude, it's the random Rangers fans who are right, not the guy who actually played with him

CLASSLESS

I can understand people who just watch him passing when he's playing their team be annoyed with him. Even some fans in Toronto don't really like the way he acts. I wasn't too thrilled with the way he handled contract negotiations in the off season.

Most players who have played with him are positive on the guy though. That goes a long way.

BFIB

Its weird. Both Harper and Bautista are douchey in their own right, but I like Bautista's douchiness as opposed to Harper's douchiness.

Something's happening with the MLB app.

1GAfTmI.jpg

harSon

Banned
tonight's Bucs/Braves game has a "game interest" or watchability score on Fangraphs of 3.

out of 10

you buried the lede: the front office actually just spent real money to keep a veteran

The amount isn't that surprising. It's not like we aren't paying $10 million a year for Niese.

D:

So....

Odor vs Bautista

giphy.gif

or

Ryan vs Ventura

RyanVentura_wj0xniob.gif

or

Barrett vs Pierzynski?

pierzynski_barrett1.gif

Upon reflection, I think I have to put 1) Ryan, the GOAT. 2) Barrett (because the recipient was Pierzynski and 3) Odor.

How could you miss the best one?

pdBCP43.gif

Yeah, I got something like this yesterday. Are they testing something?

They are doing this everyday to pay tribute to the 75-year anniversary of Joe DiMaggio's 56-game hitting streak. This is the third day. They are sending an alert at the exact time he got his first hit in the 56 games with how he did it.

Its weird. Both Harper and Bautista are douchey in their own right, but I like Bautista's douchiness as opposed to Harper's douchiness.

All those guys pale in comparison to the douchiest guy to ever take a major league baseball field.

109_003B_PIERZYNSKI_PLAYER_SPOTLIGHT_SCREEN.jpg

Holy shit The Onion from 2011: Top Suspects In Shooting Of Obnoxious White Sox Catcher AJ Pierzynski

Police are still building their list of initial suspects, a process made more difficult by many of those questions loudly insisting they "wished they killed the loudmouth bastard." Here are some of the most promising leads:

Ron Gardenhire
Accused Pierzynski of attempting to spike Twins first baseman Justin Morneau in 2007; was recently forced to listen to Pierzynski talk about the flames he painted on his car for twenty minutes.

Justin Mansel
The EMT reportedly began berating Pierzynski while responding to the first murder attempt after AJ repeatedly instructed him: "blast this ambo out of here, I'm a two-time all-star."

Dave Weeks
A groundskeeper for the White Sox from 1985-2007, Pierzynski falsely accused Weeks of drinking on the job and got him fired because he "thought it would be funny."

Stephanie Norris
During a 2005 appearance on a TNA Wrestling program, Pierzynski singled Norris out in the crowd and delayed the show with a 20-minute improvised "riff" calling Norris "beat like a dog."

Nick Deves
Has never spoken to Pierzynski, but saw him strutting around in a Chicago-area mall like he was King Shit and would have strangled him right there if he hadn't been with his infant daughter at the time.

They are doing this everyday to pay tribute to the 75-year anniversary of Joe DiMaggio's 56-game hitting streak. This is the third day. They are sending an alert at the exact time he got his first hit in the 56 games with how he did it.

Meh. I'll take the tribute to Cal Ripken's 2,632 consecutive games. Maybe just send me the lineups.

John Gibbons suspended 3 games. I missed his part in all of this since I didn't actually see the game. Is that for having Chavez hit Fielder?

Kaladin

So....

Odor vs Bautista

giphy.gif

or

Ryan vs Ventura

RyanVentura_wj0xniob.gif

or

Barrett vs Pierzynski?

pierzynski_barrett1.gif

Upon reflection, I think I have to put 1) Ryan, the GOAT. 2) Barrett (because the recipient was Pierzynski and 3) Odor.

Ryan vs Ventura was a classic. Not only did he hit Ventura with the pitch, he stopped his takedown attempt with a headlock and got in some punches before everyone came in to pull them apart.

Gotta give it to Odor though, he straight blasted Bautista.

Barrett vs Pierzynski was a lot of hugging and a cheap shot.

No. He was ejected in that game before the fight. Then he came back when the fight happened.

Cool.

Seems we have a breakdown of the suspensions at this point.

Odor: 8 Games Edit: $5000 fine
Gibby: 3 Games
Pillar: No Suspension
Jesse Chavez: 3 Games
Donaldson: Fined $1000 No suspension
Bautista: 1 Game?
Andrus: 1 game

http://www.bluebirdbanter.com/2016/5/17/11692828/odor-suspended-8-games-gibby-3

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/15577350/rougned-odor-texas-rangers-suspended-8-games-punching-toronto-blue-jays-jose-bautista

Would make sense to have Matt start at third and keep Soup working the kitchen.

Edit - The new lineup for tonight:

Grandy
Cabrera
Conforto
Ces
Neil
Soup 1B
Kevin
Noah
Matt Reynolds 3B

Didn't think Reynolds would start day 1.

Ah well he'll strike out 4 times anyway.

Parch

Odor with the biggest suspension.
The Blue Jays were right.
Next year a Jay will get the biggest suspension when Odor gets one in the ear.

Top Bottom