• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season Official Thread - Do Not Attempt to Ketchup

Trayce with another HR..

BANG!!!!!

He making bigger noise than brother Klay tonight. I hope he stays up with the team when Ethier comes back

Listening to Jonah Keri's cast with Braves GM John Coppolella.

"I think teams don't try to rebuild because, day after day, it is fucking miserable."

Listening to Jonah Keri's cast with Braves GM John Coppolella.

"I think teams don't try to rebuild because, day after day, it is fucking miserable."

It is. Trust me it is.

But it's so fucking worth it when you finally start winning again. You appreciate it soooo much more.

I'm just enjoying this year for the ride, as a Mets fan, for example.

Coppolella said that they thought about keeping the '14 team together one more year to see what happened, but they knew they were going to lose Heyward and J.Upton as free agents and would have kicked themselves everyday to not know what they could have gotten for both. Also, he said, "It's not like we broke up the 1927 Yankees. This was a team that lost 83 games in 2014."

He said the organization's eyes opened at just how bad their farm system was when Kris Medlen and Brandon Beachy both went down for the season in Spring Training '14. They looked in their minor league system for replacements and found no one even close to suitable, so they had to sign Aaron Harang and Ervin Santana. He said they never wanted to be stuck in that situation again. He also talked about how much damage Frank Wren did in general to the minor league system, not so much with bad trades but just for general lack of care about anything but the major league club.

gamz

It is. Trust me it is.

But it's so fucking worth it when you finally start winning again. You appreciate it soooo much more.

I'm just enjoying this year for the ride, as a Mets fan, for example.

It depends on the FO. As a Cubs fan it was a miserable couple of years, but I got it. When your 20 years behind in technology you knew we needed a complete rehaul which was done very well. I just followed the minors and the FO moves more then the day to day team. The whole process was transparent to the fans and they explained everything. I appreciated that.

Beckx

‏@Pirates
BREAKING: The #Pirates & catcher Francisco Cervelli have agreed to terms on a 3-year contract extension through 2019

That's amore!

*Translator's note: amore means Elias Diaz' arm blew out

Parch

Better than doing nothing.
Sounds like new guy is just a temp, but at least a manager change now gets that excuse out of the way for when they start making real change with player movement.

Beckx

@Pirates
Since 2015, Cervelli has recorded the best OBP(.374), 3rd-best BA(.290) & the 3rd-most hits(160) among catchers

I never thought we'd be able to re-sign him. Had already gotten comfortable with the idea he was gone. This is pretty great news, but I gotta believe that it was Diaz' injury that forced management to do something.

BFIB

Better than doing nothing.
Sounds like new guy is just a temp, but at least a manager change now gets that excuse out of the way for when they start making real change with player movement.

Here's the thing that gets me. The Barves knew they were going to tear the house down and rebuild. In doing so, that should include the manager. If the Barves already had intended on letting Fredi go, why not do it and bring in a manager that you have complete trust in getting to know the younger players and getting on the same page with them? Look around at the recent rebuilds, and you see the manager is usually included in the rebuilding.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Here's the thing that gets me. The Barves knew they were going to tear the house down and rebuild. In doing so, that should include the manager. If the Barves already had intended on letting Fredi go, why not do it and bring in a manager that you have complete trust in getting to know the younger players and getting on the same page with them? Look around at the recent rebuilds, and you see the manager is usually included in the rebuilding.

Bobby Cox liked Fredi too much. Guess Coppy finally got his way.

Because, for some inexplicable reason, someone at a high level of management extended him through the 2016 season with a club option for 2017 in July of last year.

Once that decision was made, well, corporate inertia sets in. The exec can't admit to being wrong on a decision like that, so you have to wait until the manager does such a horrible job you have to get rid of the guy.

So, the question isn't really "why didn't they fire him sooner".

It's more why the FUCK was he extended in July 2015?

RBH

l3oJK0N.gif

lk32o58.gif

BFIB

Man I remember when Brave fans were shit talking the Marlins for firing Fredi a few years ago. Now they are estatic that he is gone lol.

I'm thankful for Fredi. Had it been Chipper, that infield fly never would have happened in 2012. Chipper would have scared the umps into submission.

Thank you Fredi!

Beckx

tonight's Bucs/Braves game has a "game interest" or watchability score on Fangraphs of 3.

out of 10

The fuck? He must really like it in Pittsburgh, because he could have probably fetched 4 years/$55+ million on the open market.

you buried the lede: the front office actually just spent real money to keep a veteran

Top Bottom