• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season Official Thread - Do Not Attempt to Ketchup

Odor with the biggest suspension.
The Blue Jays were right.
Next year a Jay will get the biggest suspension when Odor gets one in the ear.

I don't think the Jays need to retaliate at this point. The Rangers hopefully got the temper tantrum over their collapse in October out of their system.

They got the suspensions right. I'm glad that dirtbag Odor got 8 games.

They had to suspend Jose, and one game is fair. Gibbons with 3 is also fair.

The Rangers hopefully got the temper tantrum over their collapse in October out of their system.

Right. As opposed to the level headedness and maturity of Jose Bautista?

cropped_josetemper.gif

EQsDsoY.gif

tumblr_nq7tqaoLNV1r37slco1_500.gif

042115_bal_jones_bautista_med_lbfz4khf.gif

But the Rangers are the assholes

xnqxj5jufpfgowks6htp.gif

The suspensions were fair.
One could argue that Bush and even the Ranger manager could have been suspended. If the league determined that there was nothing wrong with the bat flip, then blatant retaliation against the bat flip could have been addressed.

"Blatant"

There are plenty of reasons for someone to want to put a pitch into Bautista's ribs. "Blatant" would have been communicated intent that the batflip was the reason he was hit intentionally. But, Bush and the Rangers denied it was intentional. So, not really blatant.

Parch

The suspensions were fair.
One could argue that Bush and even the Ranger manager could have been suspended. If the league determined that there was nothing wrong with the bat flip, then blatant retaliation against the bat flip could have been addressed.

All those gifs remind me how good it was to see Bautista handle that feud with O'Day and the Orioles using his bat.

That was better behaviour than the slide.

Edit: people still in denial about Bush's intent are kind of embarrassing themselves at this point. Everyone in baseball knows what was going on with Bush throwing at Bautista in what would have been his final at bat in the season series.

cashman

Banned
Yeah I don't really have a problem with the suspensions. That punch from Odor was well worth it, and the Blue jays already made big enough fools out of themselves, no need for any lengthy suspensions.

All those gifs remind me how good it was to see Bautista handle that feud with O'Day and the Orioles using his bat.

That was better behaviour than the slide.

Indeed.

Edit: people still in denial about Bush's intent are kind of embarrassing themselves at this point. Everyone in baseball knows what was going on with Bush throwing at Bautista in what would have been his final at bat in the season series.

Nah, you're misreading. Parch was saying that:

If the league determined that there was nothing wrong with the bat flip, then blatant retaliation against the bat flip could have been addressed.

I'm saying that you can't prove that the pitch was "blatant retaliation" specifically for the flip. You can't make that logical leap unless Bush or someone comes out and says "yeah we hit him for the flip".

It's not denial but plausible deniability.

Bush AND the Rangers' manager should've been suspended.

Gibbons was suspended because he came back on the field and entered the fracas, so I get that and am fine with it. But what else would any manager do?

Of course I can't prove it but I have also seen enough baseball self-policing to draw a logical conclusion. As has most of the baseball community.

The Rangers won't admit it because that would have meant a suspension for Bush. Why admit it and lose a pitcher.

Parch

I'm saying that you can't prove that the pitch was "blatant retaliation" specifically for the flip.
I don't think there needs to be proof if the League decides that what it was. They can appeal, but MLB disciplinary isn't a court of law.

Shia Dividi had a good point. Bush probably wasn't suspended because there were no warnings issued at the time. Chavez was suspended because there was. Given how freely umps hand out warnings for just pitching inside and considering how much tension there was against Batista during the entire series, there probably should have been warnings issued long before the plunking happened.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Fredi Gonzalez is with the braves for 6 years. Finally shaves his goatee and is fired. Coiencidence? i think not.

We all know how classy Bush is and the same with Bannister. Of course it wasn't intentional. *Insert rolled eyes here.*

Of course it was intentional. But the league can't assume it was if plausible deniability exists or else any suspension would get automatically rescinded in the appeals process.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
whoops
PITTSBURGH – Finding out you’ve been fired is never easy, but imagine finding out the way that Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez did late Monday.

An hour or so after the Braves’ 8-5 series-opening loss to the Pirates, a person familiar with the situation said Gonzalez received an email notifying him of his scheduled flight to Atlanta on Tuesday afternoon.

That was a bad sign, since the four-game series in Pittsburgh runs through Thursday.

Gonzalez and general manager John Coppolella have been addressing rumors about Gonzalez’s job status for weeks, since the Braves were losing their first nine games of the season on the way to a 9-28 record through Monday. So when he got the email, it had to be a bad sign for Gonzalez.

The Braves had already made the decision to fire him and booked his commercial flight home Tuesday, but didn’t plan to tell him he’d been fired until Tuesday morning, after president of baseball operations John Hart flew to Pittsburgh to join general manager John Coppolella.
http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/ba...rnallink_referralbox_free-to-premium-referral

edit: I win.

My read of the suspensions/fines: Looks fine to me.

If the precedent was 10 games, Odor probably got less because of Bautista's dumbass comments about how he could have injured him. My gosh he's a loud-mouthed moron.

edit: At least he can still hit!

Top Bottom