• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season Official Thread - Do Not Attempt to Ketchup

zulux21

why did boston have to face the indians to start the season.
on one hand I hate boston and want them to lose.
on the other hand the indians are serious rivals to the white sox for the division this year and thus I need them to start slowly.

I guess for the sake of the white sox winning the world series this year I need the indians to lose though, so I guess I like the outcome of that game.

Malo

Banned
Isnt that Yankee stadium a little bit too empty for an opening day game?
It is but you have to factor in that's it's cold as fuck and the game was pushed back a day due to the postponement.

Wallace Matthews

The last time the Yankees won an opener was 2011

Clearly the Yankees are doomed.

Cain'd

Still hard to believe we're looking at a World Series Champion Kansas City Royals team.

The Royals. They actually won a world series. Huh.

vwnut13

Opening Day and my first umpire induced headache. Gotta love baseball.

He was running on the inside of the line, on the grass. So yeah, out of the basepaths. But it's not like he was running 3 or 8 feet inside it. He was running on the edge of the grass, inside the line. Still should have probably been called out, but it certainly wasn't egregiously so.

You have to be running on the foul side of the baseline. He wasn't even close.

If Correa was running where he was supposed to, you wouldn't be able to see Dana Demuth in this picture.

SWkghqc.jpg

JoseDFrog

Banned
Opening Day and my first umpire induced headache. Gotta love baseball.

You have to be running on the foul side of the baseline. He wasn't even close.

If Correa was running where he was supposed to, you wouldn't be able to see Dana Demuth in this picture.

SWkghqc.jpg
Umps haven't ever given a shit about the baseline, why would they start now?

Malo

Banned
Umps haven't ever given a shit about the baseline, why would they start now?
Jared Diamond:

The umpire told Joe Girardi exactly what I thought: The rule refers to the first baseman's ability to catch the throw, not the throw itself.

Jared Diamond:

Therefore, if Dellin Betances hit the runner with his throw, chances are, the runner is called out.

spyder_ur

Jared Diamond:

The umpire told Joe Girardi exactly what I thought: The rule refers to the first baseman's ability to catch the throw, not the throw itself.

Jared Diamond:

Therefore, if Dellin Betances hit the runner with his throw, chances are, the runner is called out.

Exactly. I have to admit that it's kind of hilarious that the implication is that the correct play for the pitcher to make is just to bean the dude in the back.

Line_HTX

Jared Diamond:

Jared Diamond:

It would be better to throw normally and plunk him from behind then?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
The rome braves should be fun to watch.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/17045...-prospects-start-the-season?topicid=151437456
1. Dansby Swanson -- Carolina Mudcats (A Adv)
2. Sean Newcomb -- Mississippi Braves (AA)
3. Ozhaino Albies -- Mississippi Braves (AA)
4. Aaron Blair -- Gwinnett Braves (AAA)
5. Kolby Allard -- Extended spring training
6. Touki Toussaint -- Rome Braves (A)
7. Austin Riley -- Rome Braves (A)
8. Tyrell Jenkins -- Gwinnett Braves (AAA)
9. Manny Banuelos -- Atlanta Braves (MLB) -- DL
10. Max Fried -- Rome Braves (A)
11. Mallex Smith -- Gwinnett Braves (AAA)
12. Lucas Sims -- Mississippi Braves (AA)
13. Mike Soroka -- Rome Braves (A)
14. Chris Ellis -- Mississippi Braves (AA)
15. Braxton Davidson -- Carolina Mudcats (A Adv)
16. Rio Ruiz -- Gwinnett Braves (AAA)
17. Zach Bird -- Carolina Mudcats (A Adv)
18. Andrew Thurman -- Mississippi Braves (AA)
19. Ricardo Sanchez -- Rome Braves (A)
20. Lucas Herbert -- Rome Braves (A)
21. Dustin Peterson -- Mississippi Braves (AA)
22. John Gant -- Atlanta Braves (MLB)
23. Ronald Acuna -- Rome Braves (A)
24. Jason Hursh -- Mississippi Braves (AA)
25. Johan Camargo -- Mississippi Braves (AA)
26. Max Povse -- Carolina Mudcats (A Adv)
27. Rob Whalen -- Mississippi Braves (AA)
28. Mauricio Cabrera -- Mississippi Braves (AA)
29. Wes Parsons -- Carolina Mudcats (A Adv)
30. Daniel Winkler -- Atlanta Braves (MLB)

zulux21

It would be better to throw normally and plunk him from behind then?

yup.
whether the runner interferes with the fielder's ability to field and throw is a judgement call unless the runner is hit with the ball which it then merely becomes a, are they in the proper lane.... nope.. OUT!

in that situation it is almost always better to just throw the ball in a normal path to first base as if the runner isn't there and if it hits him it hits him. Trying not to hit them will typically just result in what you saw today.

it's a silly situation but it's been how it works for as long as I can remember.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
wait...Bruce Sutter? How have I never heard about this? wow.

Oys1o5E.jpg

http://tomahawktake.com/2016/04/05/atlanta-braves-opening-day-payroll-higher-than-wed-thought/

. The worst has got to be the one the Atlanta Braves have going with Bruce Sutter. Allow me to quote from a lengthy LA Times article from 1985 – the year that this monstrosity was set up:

Sutter will receive a $750,000 salary for each of the next six years and a minimum of $1.12 million a year for the remaining 30 years of the contract. In addition, he will get the $9.1 million in so-called “principal” at the end.

Let’s spell that out:

1985-1991: $750,000 each year (6 years)
1992-2021: $1.12 million every year (30 years)
2021: $9.1 million, which represents the ‘principal’ dollars that were supposedly placed in a 12.3% interest-bearing annuity back in 1985.
http://tomahawktake.com/2015/07/04/atlanta-braves-morning-chop-a-bad-contract-still-being-paid/3/

Top Bottom