• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season Official Thread - Do Not Attempt to Ketchup

orochi91

Bautista was extremely foolish for sticking his hand out like that and grabbing the fielder's foot.

Tough loss for the Jays.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
That is some epic bullshit for the Jays.

Absolutely the right call. No clue WTF Bautista was even thinking. Notice he didn't even try and argue it. Just dumb. I suppose the game might have ended anyway with a strong throw, but if you are that freaking obvious...

Gibbons should protest that. I thought the whole point of that slide rule was about intent to injure? Bautista didn't do anything wrong. Fuck that.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
So people think it is cool for him to grab the foot?

XWRlBb3.jpg

They can't seriously think Batista did anything wrong there. That's ridiculous.

Ummm, what game are you watching? Bautista knew he cheated by interfering, hence no argument from his end. You can't reach out with your freaking arm and grab at a player making a throw. The fielder wasn't even close to the base path.

Incredibly dumb from Joey Bats.

What would be argue? It was initially called a run...

If he didn't think he did anything wrong, he would clearly argue the call...since it cost his team the game.

Well, that was a fucking garbage way to lose a game. Damn it.

I was so excited when they scored those two runs, and so dejected when Tampa went ahead.

Does it not matter that it looks like Edwin was going to be safe anyway?
No, why would it? If you interfere or break up it doesn't matter, it's the intent not whether the person would have been safe.

Ummm, what game are you watching? Bautista knew he cheated by interfering, hence no argument from his end. You can't reach out with your freaking arm and grab at a player making a throw. The fielder wasn't even close to the base path.

Incredibly dumb from Joey Bats.

If he didn't think he did anything wrong, he would clearly argue the call...since it cost his team the game.
Argue how? The game was over, umps can't overturn it and everyone walked away.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Belt bunting against the overshift and got on base. Gonna be interesting if he does this consistently against the shift.

Was it an actual grab? From what I saw he got his arm intentionally in front of the leg.

It was. I can rewind and look at it on MLB.TV. Here's my shitty screencap. His arm is more than two feet in off the bag.
cpxXUZr.png

In motion, he clearly makes contact. Not a lot, and probably didn't change the outcome of the throw, but you can't be doing that.

Parch

There was no intent to injure.
Oh noes! He touched me! You lose the ballgame!

Ridiculous. Stupid rule if that's what we're going to get.

Beckx

It was. I can rewind and look at it on MLB.TV. Here's my shitty screencap. His arm is more than two feet in off the bag.
cpxXUZr.png

In motion, he clearly makes contact. Not a lot, and probably didn't change the outcome of the throw, but you can't be doing that.

yeah, past the bag, arm on the leg, that's going to be called.

why do people think "intent to injure" is part of the rule? It's not. The MLB rule isn't as good as it could be (the NCAA rule gets it right - bright line rule where your body has to be in line with the bag) but it's better than seeing what happened to Kang last year happen to someone again.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
There was no intent to injure.
Oh noes! He touched me! You lose the ballgame!

Ridiculous. Stupid rule if that's what we're going to get.

This has nothing to do with intent to injure, he grabbed his leg with his arm. Its interference. Ump missed it, replay caught it. Thats how its supposed to work

The only shitty part is that Forsythe's throw looked like it was terrible by itself. Bautista didn't need to do anything.

Yeah there was no way they were going to turn the double play anyway. Longoria played it on an extra hop and the play was basically dead from there

cpxXUZr.png

In not sure where it all of that it shows a grab but ok? He was asking if it was a grab since everyone keeps calling it a grab.

cpxXUZr.png

That's not a grab. I absolutely do think he meant to get his arm out there but are you not supposed to try to disrupt the throw at all now? I am still not clear on the rule.

If it's a grab I think the umps are right. I just don't see a grab.

Beckx

That's not a grab. I absolutely do think he meant to get his arm out there but are you not supposed to try to disrupt the throw at all now? I am still not clear on the rule.

that's the big issue with the rule. the union insisted on leaving it a little vague "because that's how players have been taught to play." but if your body is in the position bautista's is in, you're asking for trouble.

Top Bottom