• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season Official Thread - Do Not Attempt to Ketchup

Injuries happen, stop whining. You don't want to get injured, don't play sports.

If injuries were occurring constantly, you have a point. How many people have slide hard into a double play? How many of those have caused a bad injury?

Stop wussifying the game.

And this is where I stop reading. I'v played baseball my whole fucking life, there is no reason for a takeout slide, they don't work, they get guys hurt (six notable players got hurt just last year), and more often than not all you do is out yourself at risk by stupidly sliding your head into a guys leg.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Broken bats can injure someone. In fact, so can comebackers to the mound. Change to tennis balls asap.

It's pathetic and frankly disgraceful for people to be okay with this. Injuries happen, don't whine and say 'whaaa a player on my team is hurt, this rule is good!'. Injuries happen, it's called sports.

You want to institute a subjective rule that punishes blatant attempts to injure? Fine, go right ahead. A blanket rule that will continue to wussify the game is pathetic and unnecessary and this ending has made the game a joke tonight.
Pathetic and disgraceful to want to protect players? I'd like to see you justify that without relying on misogyny, if possible.

LevelNth

Banned
Thing is, there are obviously bad illegal slides like Utley and obviously not dangerous slides like bautistas...its not cut and dry
There are dangerously illegal checks in hockey and clean hits too. But there are other ways to punish and police this stuff then blanket rules like 'no more checking!'.

I'm a Jays fan and this is pure bullshit, but it's game 3 of the season.

If any team in this league loses this way in September or October, the MLB deserves to be called out for the pathetic idiocy of what they are doing to this game.

BlsOLoX.gif
:D

LevelNth

Banned
And this is where I stop reading. I'v played baseball my whole fucking life, there is no reason for a takeout slide, they don't work, they get guys hurt (six notable players got hurt just last year), and more often than not all you do is out yourself at risk by stupidly sliding your head into a guys leg.
No you didn't, because you'd know you never slide head first. And they don't work? Ok there single A.

Pathetic and disgraceful to want to protect players? I'd like to see you justify that without relying on misogyny, if possible.
I could care less if it's a man or woman, wussifying the game has nothing to do with gender. And if protection is unabated to changing the game and taking out any facet of physical play then they need to ban all sliding into a double play, which they haven't.

Sorry but there is no excuse for this, it's ridiculous.

zroid

Banned
Apparently if he had maintained contact with the bag it would have been a fair slide

qCOqeQi.png

dumb Jose. he didn't even move out of the basepath or anything, he just overslid by a foot.

Apparently if he had maintained contact with the bag it would have been a fair slide

qCOqeQi.png

dumb Jose. he didn't even move out of the basepath or anything, he just overslid by a foot.

Its just funny because this happens all the time, just so happens the 2B threw a shitty throw.

LevelNth

Banned
Baseball needs more bench-clearing brawls: TRUE or FALSE?

What say you, MLB gaf?
But people can get hurt rando.

The brawls can only consist of stern, but not too stern, disagreements between players at a reasonable distance and without shouting too loud so as to potentially damage eardrums.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Yeah happened to the braves yesterday. You can't slide past the bag. Would have thought players would have practiced this more in spring training.

Random bullshit

Slide, take through the knee, the impact comesback and more often than not:

492203732-ruben-tejada-of-the-new-york-mets-is-hit-by-gettyimages.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

The followthrough goes to your head, because a takeout slide means you're upright when you begin your slide into the 2B as he plants on his pivot leg to transition into the 5-3. If you're not getting smacked on the head, your head usually ends up smacking into the diamond because you have the weight of a grown ass man coming down on you.

You're just being salty because you got the ass end of a call.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
No you didn't, because you'd know you never slide head first. And they don't work? Ok there single A.

I could care less if it's a man or woman, wussifying the game has nothing to do with gender. And if protection is unabated to changing the game and taking out any facet of physical play then they need to ban all sliding into a double play, which they haven't.

Sorry but there is no excuse for this, it's ridiculous.

But people can get hurt rando.

The brawls can only consist of stern, but not too stern, disagreements between players at a reasonable distance and without shouting too loud so as to potentially damage eardrums.

It has everything to do with gender, actually. You should do some reading on how masculinity is constructed and performed.

And nobody gets injured in baseball brawls. They just yell while someone else holds them back.

Pepiope

qCOqeQi.png

It definitely wasn't accidental contact with the infielder on the slide either. That should count for something. Seems like the ump made the right call after watching the replay.

zroid

Banned
It definitely wasn't accidental contact with the infielder on the slide either. That should count for something. Seems like the ump made the right call after watching the replay.

It appears that the type of contact is mostly irrelevant if you maintain contact with the bag. You just can't make contact before hitting the ground. Touching the foot is legal.

Top Bottom