• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season Official Thread - Do Not Attempt to Ketchup

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Went to the Braves/White Sox game today:

A6gvSfCh.jpg
so that's why they lost. eat a hotdog with mustard to reverse the jinx.

LJ11

If you look at his June to July numbers against anyone but the Mets they're not that great, but then you add the Mets and it's a wrap.

bebop242

It will be interesting to see if the Cubs trade a bunch to try to fix this now, or just see how this year goes with what they have and retool for next year. They pretty much need a whole new bullpen.

Not sure Miller AND Chapman is enough at this rate.

It will be interesting to see if the Cubs trade a bunch to try to fix this now, or just see how this year goes with what they have and retool for next year. They pretty much need a whole new bullpen.

Not sure Miller AND Chapman is enough at this rate.
I think we end up going hard after Abad from the Twins at the deadline. He's been a beast. Warren needs to go and they better not bring up Richard again.

bebop242

I think we end up going hard after Abad from the Twins at the deadline. He's been a beast. Warren needs to go and they better not bring up Richard again.

Thats the problem though, they aren't just missing one key piece, that bullpen is a gaping black hole. It was better when the Cubs where scoring lots of runs, or when the starting pitching went 7+ but neither is happening now and its really showing.

"Everything is fine, they're 4-6 in their last 10 games!" - Cubs fans like a week ago

I bet this division is decided in the last week again (incidentally, Pitt's last 8 are against Cubs/Cards, 7 of Chicago's last 10 are against STL/Pitt)

billeh

Cardinals @ 4.7% to win the division.
Pirates @ 1.7% to win the division.

I'll just wait for the post-ASB explosion like last year.

bebop242

"Everything is fine, they're 4-6 in their last 10 games!" - Cubs fans like a week ago

I bet this division is decided in the last week again (incidentally, Pitt's last 8 are against Cubs/Cards, 7 of Chicago's last 10 are against STL/Pitt)

In a way I'd like to see a battle at the end of the season to generate momentum rather than coasting the whole season just to hit a brick wall in playoffs.

Who am I kidding, Cubs are hitting that wall either way.

Mets gotta play for a wild card and hope they win the one game playoff. Looking at the positive at least they wont collapse at the end of the season, gotta be in first for that to happen !

Cardinals @ 4.7% to win the division.
Pirates @ 1.7% to win the division.

I'll just wait for the post-ASB explosion like last year.

Cardinals and Bucs were both back double digits like 10 days ago, with Pittsburgh being back a staggering 14 games

Pitt's now 6.5 back

Not hard to see how this goes to the last week of the season

harSon

Banned
Cardinals and Bucs were both back double digits like 10 days ago, with Pittsburgh being back a staggering 14 games

Pitt's now 6.5 back

We're also playing some of our best baseball at a time where Cole, Cervelli, and now Taillon have gone down with injury. Cutch hasn't been playing well. Those are things that are likely not going to be true all season. We also have a lot of players on the cusp of contributing on a regular basis (Glasnow, Bell, etc.)

But then again, we've been doing this on the back of our bullpen. If our starting pitching doesn't begin to go deeper into games on average, then our bullpen will likely regress closer to what they were to begin the season.

billeh

Pitt's now 6.5 back

The Cubs starters and bullpen are not going to be simultaneously in a funk for the rest of the season. The lineup going forward also won't have three rookies (and look more like the lineup that had the hot start). One would also think the FO will find some arms to aid the BP issue.

I'll bet on the team that went 39-15.

The Cubs starters and bullpen are not going to be simultaneously in a funk for the rest of the season. The lineup going forward also won't have three rookies (and look more like the lineup that had the hot start). One would also think the FO will find some arms to aid the BP issue.

I'll bet on the team that went 39-15.

I can do arbitrary endpoints too

Since starting out 27-9 (where 23 of these games were against the Reds, Brewers, Angels, DBacks, Rockies, Braves, and Padres), the Chicago Cubs are 25-27.

bebop242

I can do arbitrary endpoints too

Since starting out 27-9 (where 23 of these games were against the Reds, Brewers, Angels, DBacks, Rockies, Braves, and Padres), the Chicago Cubs are 25-27.

They aren't as good as they seemed at the beginning of the season and they are not as bad as they seem now. Not really sure what the second half is going to be like. My main concern is pitching, starting and bullpen.

Top Bottom