• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season Official Thread - Do Not Attempt to Ketchup

They aren't as good as they seemed at the beginning of the season and they are not as bad as they seem now. Not really sure what the second half is going to be like. My main concern is pitching, starting and bullpen.

Splitting the middle is a good take. I think the Cubs will be fine (though like I said, think the division is settled late again), unless the pitching problems are structural rather than just a funk. Like, Lester's bone chip, Arrieta's severe jump in work load, and the fact that Lackey is about to turn 38 finally caught up with them rather than them just having a rough stretch.

bebop242

Splitting the middle is a good take. I think the Cubs will be fine (though like I said, think the division is settled late again), unless the pitching problems are structural rather than just a funk. Like, Lester's bone chip, Arrieta's severe jump in work load, and the fact that Lackey is about to turn 38 finally caught up with them rather than them just having a rough stretch.

Yep pretty much. Unfortunately I'm leaning negatively towards those particular issues you mentioned. Very concerned about Arrieta and Lackey in particular and who knows what they will get out of Hammel and Hendricks the rest of the way.

Choomp

Banned
Mets gotta play for a wild card and hope they win the one game playoff. Looking at the positive at least they wont collapse at the end of the season, gotta be in first for that to happen !

I don't want to give up on a division now, it's still vey much possible, anything can happen after the all star break. I don't wanna see Kershaw in a wild card game

My dad and i joked when Kershaw got hurt that now the bullpen would suddenly start to perform.

I swear this team can't all be productive at the same time. Only 3 guys max.

gamz

Thats the problem though, they aren't just missing one key piece, that bullpen is a gaping black hole. It was better when the Cubs where scoring lots of runs, or when the starting pitching went 7+ but neither is happening now and its really showing.

The bullpen and starters aren't nearly as bad as you are seeing now. The starters are having trouble going 5 innings and the pen is spent because of it. 24 straight games has been a killer for this team. Totally out of sync, and more out of sync without Fowler. Damn this offense misses him.

That being said we certainly need bullpen help. I fully trust the FO to get what we need for the second half.

Hopefully we can scrape a win today going into the break. We are way over due for one.

I don't think I've seen a better description of Buck and Tabby, and the entire Jays broadcasting crew:

They talk down to their listeners all too often, they seem to feel this pathological need to educate fans and somehow explain plays that anyone with a cursory knowledge of baseball already knows, they repeat themselves ad nauseum etc…. Listen to every game this month when EE is in the lineup: at least once during the game if EE gets a hit one of them will say, ‘Edwin always has a great month of May doesn’t he?’ Barf!

I don’t know how many many many times I have muttered under my breath or simply thought in utter exasperation while listening to them, ‘We KNOW Pat, we KNOW! We KNOW Buck, we KNOW!’ All too often they add less than nothing to our understanding or enjoyment of the game, they just go through the motions at best and are very very seldom funny unlike other announcers. I guess one redeeming thing about them is they are not brutal holy hannah homers like Hawk Harrelson for the Chicago White Sox. He is utterly unbearable. ‘He gone!’ It must be profoundly painful to listen to him on a daily basis as a Chicago fan. Ouch! He gone!

YES announcers for New York outstanding in comparison. Knowledgable about the league not just the Yanks. I absolutely love when Shulman is in the Toronto booth, the man knows SO much more about teams and players around the league. Does his homework. Buck and Tabby way way way too lazy for my liking. Shulman leaves both of them in his dust, the man has gone national for a reason. SO much more enjoyable to listen to.

They both have so many chances to relate anecdotes from their playing days, interesting anecdotes, but seldom do so in an entertaining way. They seem to be mentally lazy broadcasters in my opinion especially Buck who likes to stick to the game and just calling the game but in generally dull fashion. And far far too much meaningless chatter and droning on and on making this fan hit mute or just groan and moan in pain. Or change over to enemy announcers since I follow the Jays from a far away continent.

To drive the point home, Buck and Tabby 31st in Fangraphs 2016 announcer rankings: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2016-broadcaster-rankings-tv-intro-and-31-32/

dantehemi

I don't think I've seen a better description of Buck and Tabby, and the entire Jays broadcasting crew:

To drive the point home, Buck and Tabby 31st in Fangraphs 2016 announcer rankings: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2016-broadcaster-rankings-tv-intro-and-31-32/

Any time Tulo fields a grounder, "Tulowitzki has been using that glove for the last 60 years! He likes it floppy like that. Ball players get accustomed to the feel and never want to make the switch."

One day until the Derby. Last years was awesome. I'm so excited especially to see Stanton alone drop some bombs in it.

Phils first half has surprised me. A lot of good things to take to the break. I hope Nola figures himself out

Raw64life

You could see the season Murph is having against the Mets coming from 10,000 light years away. Surprised he isn't over .500 against the Mets yet.

Choomp

Banned
You could see the season Murph is having against the Mets coming from 10,000 light years away. Surprised he isn't over .500 against the Mets yet.

It's just how Mets luck works. You'd know he'd be doing just as shakingly decent as usual if he stayed on the Mets.

RBH

CmNsw22XIAEnoHi.jpg:large

The 2016 All-Star week festivities will begin tonight with the Futures Game, MLB's annual showcase of the game's very best prospects. Team USA and the World Team, each with 25 of the best prospects in baseball, will play in San Diego's Petco Park.

Here is how you can watch this year's Futures Game:

Time: 7 p.m. ET

Television: MLB Network (broadcasters: Matt Vasgersian, Jonathan Mayo, Heidi Watney)

Stream: MLB.com

Earlier this week the folks at Baseball America released their updated top 100 prospects list. Twenty-seven of the 100 will appear in the Futures Game. Here's the list:

2B Yoan Moncada, Red Sox (No. 1 according to Baseball America)
RHP Alex Reyes, Cardinals (No. 2)
SS Dansby Swanson, Braves (No. 7)
IF Alex Bregman, Diamondbacks (No. 8)
OF Andrew Benintendi, Red Sox (No. 9)
OF David Dahl, Rockies (No. 16)
SS Amed Rosario, Mets (No. 18)
OF Clint Frazier, Indians (No. 21)
LHP Josh Hader, Brewers (No. 22)
SS Willy Adames, Rays (No. 23)
LHP Amir Garrett, Reds (No. 31)
RHP Joe Musgrove, Astros (No. 32)
C Gary Sanchez, Yankees (No. 36)
OF Manuel Margot, Padres (No. 39)
OF Tyler O'Neill, Mariners (No. 45)
OF Eloy Jimenez, Cubs (No. 46)
RHP Reynaldo Lopez, Nationals (No. 48)
RHP Jeff Hoffman, Rockies (No. 49)
RHP Phil Bickford, Giants (No. 50)
OF Hunter Renfroe, Padres (No. 66)
C Francisco Mejia, Indians (No. 70)
RHP Carson Fulmer, White Sox (No. 73)
OF Raimel Tapia, Rockies (No. 79)
C Chance Sisco, Orioles (No. 85)
LHP Adalberto Mejia, Giants (No. 91)
2B Willie Calhoun, Dodgers (No. 98)
1B Josh Naylor, Marlins (No. 100)
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/2...watch-stream-and-everything-you-need-to-know/

2016-all-star-futures-game-us-roster.jpg

2016-all-star-futures-game-world-roster.jpg

It will be interesting to see if the Cubs trade a bunch to try to fix this now, or just see how this year goes with what they have and retool for next year. They pretty much need a whole new bullpen.

Not sure Miller AND Chapman is enough at this rate.

they don't need a "whole new bullpen". they still have dominant 8th and 9 inning guys, and there are several guys in mid relief that are under performing and could turn it back around at any time.

Friggz

yankees are screwing things up with all of this winning. worst thing that can happen is they go into the break looking good and they dingle berries in the front office dont sell.

I can do arbitrary endpoints too

Since starting out 27-9 (where 23 of these games were against the Reds, Brewers, Angels, DBacks, Rockies, Braves, and Padres), the Chicago Cubs are 25-27.
I did the math yesterday and if the Cubs are a .500 team from here on out, they'll finish with 90 wins. Cards need to finish the remainder of the season at a 99 win pace to finish with 91 wins. Stranger things have happened but I wouldn't count on us winning the division unless the Cubs completely implode.

I did the math yesterday and if the Cubs are a .500 team from here on out, they'll finish with 90 wins. Cards need to finish the remainder of the season at a 99 win pace to finish with 91 wins. Stranger things have happened but I wouldn't count on us winning the division unless the Cubs completely implode.

I think the Cubs will still win the division, but it'll be closer than people thought

Chris R

Well I think the Mariners might win this one now.

Split series vs the Royals? Man I had no idea they were that bad this year...

Top Bottom