• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season Official Thread - Do Not Attempt to Ketchup

RBH

Now we know the MRI. At least it wasn't broken bones.
Well you were the one who decided to make the proclamation that he was going to be OK based off a single XR. That's why we wait for the MRI before we say anything so that we get a more complete picture of what's going on.

Terrible news for Schwarber, even worse when it occurs during the third game of the season.

clav

You were the one who made the proclamation that he was going to be OK based off an XR, when it was clearly obvious that we wouldn't have the full picture until an MRI was done.

OK and I was wrong what the end result was.

What do you want? Why do you have to be an asshole about it?

zulux21

Damn.

There goes my keeper pick.

Now we know the MRI. At least it wasn't broken bones.

I still standby what I said about Schwarber and his value to the team. The Cubs are loaded on offense.

for the record, if he had merely broken his leg and not had the tears he likely would have made it back this season. (depends on how bad of a break but he likely would have been able to be added during sept)

bone breaks are much better than the news he just got.

a bone will be set, will heal, and in general the player will return to normal with only a very very very minor increased risk of injury.

fully torn things like this linger, and greatly increase future risk of injury.

clav

for the record, if he had merely broken his leg and not had the tears he likely would have made it back this season. (depends on how bad of a break but he likely would have been able to be added during sept)

bone breaks are much better than the news he just got.

a bone will be set, will heal, and in general the player will return to normal with only a very very very minor increased risk of injury.

fully torn things like this linger, and greatly increase future risk of injury.

I disagree. Bone breaks don't guarantee full recoveries either. Otherwise, people would be jumping on getting osteotomies and wouldn't have to sign a bunch of forms on malpractice.

Losing Schwarber isn't insignificant. He's a huge piece of that offense.

He only joined half way last season from his call-up from the minors. He sat against left handed pitchers and doesn't play every day.

Hopefully this doesn't alter his career. LCL is no joke, and his catching days are donezo now, but hopefully the guy can come back from this.

Story went deep again today

CfjKsLxW8AAFsDD.jpg:large

clav

He's fantastic, but Soler provides a slightly better glove and a hell of a lot of pop as well.

Soler was demoted to minors last season because of his bat. If he can actually deliver this season, then he can stay.

Not trying to be an asshole at all. Just trying to make a point that it takes much more than a single XR to make a prognosis.

If you're into overanalyzing, I said might, so that leaves room for doubt in prognosis. If you don't like optimism, then I don't know what to say.

clav

...What? He played 4 games in AAA on a rehab assignment. Are you thinking of someone else?

I owned Soler all of last season, and it was very painful that I can't remember what happened.

I think I'm mixing his timeline with Marcell Ozuna.

Maybe? Still, I just remember putting Soler in my lineup and made a lot of comparisons to Marcell Ozuna. Both were very horrible players to own last season.

Maybe he can put it together this season although that's a big maybe. I think people often mocked him for wearing a lot of layers in Chicago's fall weather.

Sucks about Schwarber, but the Cubs have unbelievable depth. Solar should hopefully have a good year, but we have a lot of lineup flexibility and the resources to trade for help if needed. Nothing stops this train.

bebop242

So worst possible news for schwarber, huh? Fucking figures.

Big loss for the team, but don't think it will change much.

They just scored 29 runs in 3 games. How many Schwarber hits or RBIs? Zero

Very interested to see how Yordano Ventura bounces back after a very inconsistent showing last year. Dude came into 2015 as our day one "ace," became an emotional mess, pitched poorly, and nearly went down to AAA. He's got a ton of talent but has yet to put everything together. At home against the Twins is a pretty favorable situation to start 2016, so I'm hoping for a good game.

RBH

If you're into overanalyzing, I said might, so that leaves room for doubt in prognosis. If you don't like optimism, then I don't know what to say.

Doesn't really have anything to do with overanalyzing or optimism. I was just addressing your initial statement that point blank said "Schwarber is going to be OK if the x-rays are negative." Just trying to point out that x-rays are only just one component of the entire medical evaluation. In some instances, ligamentous injuries can actually be determined through physical exam tests as well without the need of accompanying imaging.

Top Bottom