• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season |OT2| - ASMR Edition ...with Ketchup

BFIB

So, we have two days to discuss anything.

Thoughts on moving the trade deadline up? That way, with the two WC spots, you won't have as many teams holding on to that hope that they can slide in last minute.

wbsmcs

So, we have two days to discuss anything.

Thoughts on moving the trade deadline up? That way, with the two WC spots, you won't have as many teams holding on to that hope that they can slide in last minute.

Probably not going to matter TOO much this year. The NL race seems to be set now as the Phillies and Rockies definitely won't be trying to make a run. The next ~2 weeks could decide if the Yankees trade their bullpen though. If they're only 3-4 games out I could see them holding.

I have a friend who is a Red Sox fan who says they might be trying to make a move for Sale...but the WSox would be stupid to move him right? He has an amazing contract until 2019 I think.

Condiment battle.

Sriracha on everything
yes i know it is the ketchup of hot sauces

rando14

Welcome back Frozen!! I actually just started playing Fire Emblem Conquest so now I know where your avatar is from haha

gamz

Probably not going to matter TOO much this year. The NL race seems to be set now as the Phillies and Rockies definitely won't be trying to make a run. The next ~2 weeks could decide if the Yankees trade their bullpen though. If they're only 3-4 games out I could see them holding.

I have a friend who is a Red Sox fan who says they might be trying to make a move for Sale...but the WSox would be stupid to move him right? He has an amazing contract until 2019 I think.

Sriracha on everything
yes i know it is the ketchup of hot sauces

Sox aren't going to move Sale. They'll try to retool for next year.

I can see the yanks moving Chapman since he's a FA next year. Unless a deal blows them away Miller stays put.

BFIB

Sox aren't going to move Sale. They'll try to retool for next year.

Its been a while since the Red Sox and Marlins matched on a trade. Why not unload the talent that can carry you for the next 4-5 years and go for Jose Fernandez? That's just a Red Sox type of move.

wbsmcs

Its been a while since the Red Sox and Marlins matched on a trade. Why not unload the talent that can carry you for the next 4-5 years and go for Jose Fernandez? That's just a Red Sox type of move.

Perhaps for a young SS...

gamz

He's not a FA until 2019 and Marlins have a pretty good team. They aren't going to trade their ace when in the next few years they have a shot at the playoffs yearly.

Edit: They have a damn good shot at the WC this year.

BFIB

According to Hummel, the Cards have been discussing a trade for Blackmon. Might be a good under the radar move, he's having a good season.

wbsmcs

He's not a FA until 2019 and Marlins have a pretty good team. They aren't going to trade their ace when in the next few years they have a shot at the playoffs yearly.

Edit: They have a damn good shot at the WC this year.

In a perfect world the Marlins, Mets, and Pirates pull ahead and are fighting for the WC spots in September.

Some Yankee fans I talk too say that they would love to do Miller for Schwarber, but I'm not too sure the Cubs go for that.

wbsmcs

Updated MVP odds from Bodog:

AL
Trout +350
Donaldson +375
Altuve +500
Machado +550
Ortiz +600

NL
Bryant +275
Arenado +300
Harper +450
Kershaw +500
Rizzo +500
Murphy +900

Liking JD and Kershaw over here.

Might even throw a couple bucks on Stanton +3300

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Let's all binge Haikyuu at once. Again. For the power of friendship and sports

That's not baseball.

So replace with Ookiku Furikabutte instead. :p

Welcome back Frozen!! I actually just started playing Fire Emblem Conquest so now I know where your avatar is from haha

Weren't you supposed to get TMS and join the rest of us in animu JRPG land?

BravesGAF, I'll be in Atlanta for a day in August for work and I'll be staying close to Turner Field. The Braves are obviously hot garbage this year, but how is Turner Field? Given this is its last year for baseball, wondering if I should check out a game there.

XiaNaphryz

BravesGAF, I'll be in Atlanta for a day in August for work and I'll be staying close to Turner Field. The Braves are obviously hot garbage this year, but how is Turner Field? Given this is its last year for baseball, wondering if I should check out a game there.

Go and order a pizza burger.

Of course you should. It's an average yard. Good sightlines.

Plenty of good seats available.

gamz

In a perfect world the Marlins, Mets, and Pirates pull ahead and are fighting for the WC spots in September.

Some Yankee fans I talk too say that they would love to do Miller for Schwarber, but I'm not too sure the Cubs go for that.

No way would the Cubs do that.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
the stadium has never been the problem. its the area around it that sucks. So if you want something to do after or before the game. then you will have to go elsewhere.

XiaNaphryz

the stadium has never been the problem. its the area around it that sucks. So if you want something to do after or before the game. then you will have to go elsewhere.

Should've just surrounded it with nothing but Waffle Houses.

Beckx

Pretty good wrap up of the Bucs' first half here: http://banginonthebucs.blogspot.com/2016/07/a-recap-of-pirates-first-half.html

Coming off three straight wild card berths the Pirates were a team in transition. I'm sure to his regret, Huntington used the term "bridge year" in the offseason to describe the upcoming '16 season. While Huntington made it clear that "bridge" did not mean taking a step back, he had to deal with the continuing reality of a draconian, self-imposed budget by owner Bob Nutting and an organizational depth chart loaded with young talent, but talent not ready to immediately contribute.

After Happ signed [with the Jays] Huntington talked about the price for mid-rotation starting pitchers "blowing up." He was likely being a good employee. I'd be shocked if Huntington was taken aback by MLB's contract escalation. More likely Huntington didn't have the financial resources to shop at the mall, let alone the high-end boutiques. He was forced to go to again to the thrift stores. But even mid-level talent, understandably, wasn't going to sign with the Pirates on the one or two-year deals the Bucs were seeking in order to not block their young pitchers, so they likely never had a chance with Happ.

The Pirates ended the offseason with a smorgasbord of Jon Niese, Ryan Vogelsong, Juan Nicasio, Kyle Lobestein and Wilfredo Boscan to go with their established starters. After trading Charlie Morton and his $8 million salary in a straight salary dump the opening day starters were penciled in as Cole, Liriano, Niese, Nicasio and Jeff Locke. The results have been even worse than expected. The Bucs starters finished the first half 14th out of 15 in NL fWAR, 14th in HR/9, 13th in BB/9 and 12th in ERA, IP and K/9. Cole has been injured and Liriano has massively underperformed. Niese was acquired in a trade for Neil Walker in a virtual match of salaries. The logic behind the deal for the Bucs was they had a surplus of middle infielders and could replace Walker with Josh Harrison and hope that Niese would be the latest Liriano-to-Volquez-to-Happ baton-carrier in the rotation. Hasn't happened. Niese has been terrible with a 7.92 ERA and eight of his 20 home runs allowed in his last six starts. The Pirates are floating his name in the trade market, but he's more likely to be DFA'd then bring any return at this point. Of the rest, Vogelsong has been injured, Nicasio was miscast as a starter, but now should supplement the bullpen, and Lobstein is in AAA where he belongs.

But as bad as the starters have been, the bullpen has stabilized and is coming off a dominant three week stretch. Aside from All-Star closer Mark Melancon everyone in the Pirates bullpen has had their ups-and-downs. After sifting the wheat from the chaff (relievers who appeared for the Pirates this season and are not currently on the 25-man roster pitched 80.2 innings and gave up 52 runs), the roles appear set and the pen was the team's catalyst behind their strong first half close. Starting with an 8-6 win over the Dodgers on June 24 the bullpen went 35.2 scoreless innings and only gave up one run in 46.0 innings through a 7-5 July 6 win over the Cardinals. The Pirates went 10-2 and during that stretch the Pirates starters only got past the sixth inning one time. A.J. Schugel, Arquimedes Caminero and Juan Nicasio have stabilized the middle relief and the closing trio of Neftali Feliz-Tony Watson-Mark Melancon have locked down late Pirate leads.

Young stars Starling Marte and Gregory Polanco, a solid second season from Jung Ho Kang and the best bench in baseball have fueled the run production. Marte earned his first All-Star berth this week and is putting up career-highs in all three triple slash lines and is second in the majors with 30 stolen bases. Polanco, a deserving All-Star, is having a massive breakout season. The contract he signed in April sets him up for life but may prove to be the biggest feather in Huntington's cap, exceeding the massively team-friendly deals signed by Andrew McCutchen and Marte. Kang has mostly continued to impress, although he slumped into the break and has serious allegations hanging over his head.

While it wasn't ideal, the Pirates managed to get to the ASB with a 46-43 record and currently sit just 1.5 behind in the wild card race. This, without significant contributions from Cole, Liriano, McCutchen and Cervelli four of their six or seven best players entering the season. Now the outlook for this team is completely different. Jameson Taillon is up to stay. Josh Bell and Tyler Glasnow figure to have significant impacts. Gerrit Cole and Francisco Cervelli, along with Taillon, will return from the disabled list shortly after the ASB and the Pirates will play 39 of their remaining 73 games against the Brewers (15), Reds (11), Phillies (7), Braves (3) and Padres (3) who have an aggregate winning percentage of .408. I think 89 wins will get them to the playoffs. That means 43 more wins, .589 baseball. It all starts Friday.

I like Todd's optimism for the rest of the year (it's funny to watch how mad The-Sky-Is-Falling fans get at him). I think it hinges on Cole coming back very strong, though, and no more big injuries.

Top Bottom