• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season |OT2| - ASMR Edition ...with Ketchup

upton has actually been pretty good the last 2 seasons, and they basically got him for free. he's definitely not close to being worse than replacement level.

wbsmcs

upton has actually been pretty good the last 2 seasons, and they basically got him for free. he's definitely not close to being worse than replacement level.

All I'm hoping for now is that at the end of the year the front office doesn't let EE AND Bautista walk because we have this new outfielder who just went 20HR/30SB for only $4million.

Even I was going to let that low hanging fruit go lol.

Yeah.

Hockey and Basketball is more my sport, I guess that means I'm a Jays Bandwagoner with knowledge of the game?

Which is fine. My comment is more of an indictment on the general Jays fanbase, which seems to be mostly bandwagon jumpers that take what is given to them. Hell, I guess you can consider me a bit of a young fan considering I didn't really cheer them on completely until that disastrous 2012 season, but I've taken steps to learn more about the team and specifically the farm system.

All I'm hoping for now is that at the end of the year the front office doesn't let EE AND Bautista walk because we have this new outfielder who just went 20HR/30SB for only $4million.

i'm going to go out on a limb and say melvin upton doesn't effect their plans there

wbsmcs

Replacing Bautista with Upton?

If that's the plan... may Jesse Barfield have mercy on all Jays fans' souls.

It very may will be. Having Upton cheap for one more year means they could sign Edwin and won't have to worry about getting a guy like Reddick this offseason.

Replacing Bautista with Upton?

If that's the plan... may Jesse Barfield have mercy on all Jays fans' souls.

Well, that's one potential option, and I wouldn't be surprised if Shapiro and co. push for that.

But as wbscms said above, they could also use Upton as a stopgap and give Pompey more time to develop in the minors. If the management does go that route, I would prefer that this be the endgame, instead of having to deal with Upton permanently.

wbsmcs

At least Upton won't have to travel 2000 miles to make it to Toronto. Has this ever happened where a guy was traded to a team they were playing? Does he just walk down the hall and suit up for them today/tomorrow?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
At least Upton won't have to travel 2000 miles to make it to Toronto. Has this ever happened where a guy was traded to a team they were playing? Does he just walk down the hall and suit up for them today/tomorrow?

Yes.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/08/giants-working-to-acquire-infielder.html

August 11, 2010 at 6:41pm CDT

San Francisco is 2,100 miles away from Chicago, but Mike Fontenot didn't have to go far at all when the Giants acquired him today. The Cubs are in San Francisco, so all Fontenot had to do was walk from the visitors clubhouse to the home clubhouse. The Cubs obtain minor league center fielder Evan Crawford in the deal.

Brinbe

He's rebounded a bit from the abysmal Barves years, we gave up basically nothing and the Pads are paying most of the deal. So there's no risk.

I still think he sucks, madly overrated from his Rays years and I'm no fan of anyone that Ks as much as he does, but hopefully he's at least replacement level.

zulux21

It will take a lot more than just Urias to get Sale. Seeing what the Yankees got for Chapman, the Dodgers or any other team would have to pay an absurd amount. *
That's why I think the White Sox should not trade him until the offseason. That way you can ask for young impact players with MLB experience.

edit: I am actually surprised that BJ Upton is having a decent year.
of course it would take a lot more than just Urias, just saying that would be a decent start.

as for trading, if they get a huge overpay trade him now, but I highly doubt he moves in the offseason as the white sox will no doubt think they will be able to compete next year and he would be in the plans. Only way I see him moving is if they are overwhelmed by an offer, which given what the yankees got for chapman, is possible.

He actually had a few pretty good seasons after the one great season, they just kind of went under the radar because of the expectations he had
Idk I think having a couple 3 win seasons sandwiched amongst the bad/replacement level years warrant calling them fairly meaningless. He was supposed to be great, not just occasionally good. And he barely mustered occasionally good.

Idk I think having a couple 3 win seasons sandwiched amongst the bad/replacement level years warrant calling them fairly meaningless. He was supposed to be great, not just occasionally good. And he barely mustered occasionally good.

i was just pointing out that saying he had "one decent year" is inaccurate. he was pretty good every year from 2007-2012 and then fell off a cliff when he signed with atlanta.

The Dodgers and Braves swapped Juan Uribe and Alberto Callaspo last year when the Braves were in Los Angeles. A few years ago, the Braves acquired Derrek Lee from the Cubs while they were in Chicago.

Choomp

Banned

I only remember the Mike Fontenot off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure this has happened a bunch of times

Top Bottom