• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016 Regular Season |OT2| - ASMR Edition ...with Ketchup

Not a bad deal for the Blue Jays. Upton, for whatever reason, has figured out how to a hit a baseball again and the Padres are paying $17 million of the $22 million he has left owed to him.

MLB.Com had Hansel Rodriguez ranked #18 in the Blue Jays organization, so they didn't give up much.

At least Upton won't have to travel 2000 miles to make it to Toronto. Has this ever happened where a guy was traded to a team they were playing? Does he just walk down the hall and suit up for them today/tomorrow?

Brett Butler when he was with the Mets was traded to the Dodgers in between games of a doubleheader.

zroid

Banned
To those poo pooing the Melvin trade for the Jays, he's a pretty good fit in Toronto, depending on his usage. He's a league average hitter currently, and the power he's shown should play up at the Rogers Centre and AL East in general. You can pencil him into either LF or RF and it would be a big upgrade defensively over Saunders or Bautista. Rotate DH assignments with Edwin given time at 1B. Essentially Melvin is only taking plate appearances away from Smoak (who is hitting even worse than him this year). Offensively it's a small upgrade over Smoak, and defensively it's a big upgrade over Saunders or Bautista. So he makes the team noticeably better. Considering they acquired him for almost nothing AND get a virtually free year of control in 2017 as free agency insurance, there's not much to dislike about the trade IMO.

Padres and Blue Jays may not be done. Jon Morosi is reporting the Padres are "making progress" on trading Andrew Cashner and that both the Blue Jays and Marlins are the big players, with the Rangers having outside interest.

Choomp

Banned
Indeed, this Carlos Martinez has very impressive stuff. I would've sent Reyes there with 2 out, considering the mets numbers with RISP

I dont care if Reyes gets thrown out at the plate you have to send him this team is garbage with RISP and you are down to many runs and look they didnt score anything.

At least Upton won't have to travel 2000 miles to make it to Toronto. Has this ever happened where a guy was traded to a team they were playing? Does he just walk down the hall and suit up for them today/tomorrow?
I believe this happened to Lenny Dykstra when the Mets traded him away.

zroid

Banned
CoUjHjJUEAEVlnp.jpg

fake edit: by the way, apparently Upton is, for the time being, going to "platoon" with Smoak against LHP. I think his wRC+ against LHP is like 140 or so this year, so that'll do.

obviously when he's playing it means Edwin will be at 1B and either Saunders or Bautista will DH.

Some White Sox Insider with a 100% success rate this year is saying that any deal for Sale with Boston starts with Bogaerts or Betts and that's why it won't happen until maybe the offseason.

Friggz

Some White Sox Insider with a 100% success rate this year is saying that any deal for Sale with Boston starts with Bogaerts or Betts and that's why it won't happen until maybe the offseason.

i can see betts being the odd man out. benintendi and moncada can - in theory - make mookie expendable. bogaerts isnt going anywhere.

bebop242

I kinda hate this Cubs team. So lifeless and dull. Last year was so much more fun.

Lol Sox starter tomorrow Ranaudo 17+ era 1 win 0 losses.

Cubs arn't scoring tomorrow either.

Top Bottom