• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2017 Regular Season OT - 108 years in the making

Status
Not open for further replies.

leroidys

Congrats CosmicQueso!

tumblr_lnlebwRpvT1qd75su.gif

Is the 200x133 gif a tribute to the last time the A's had a winning season?

Asked my pops what he thought of the Jays opening game.

His said his level of concern is high. Believes the middle of the line-up is going to go flat again.

I share his concern.

Edit: I only caught bits of the A's game yesterday. Maybe with the Raiders leaving they'll see an uptick in local interest and attendance?

fuck this off day after opening day. worst day of the year.

Cardinals have a horrible opening schedule, no idea if other teams are similar

Sunday-game vs Cubs
Monday-off day
Tuesday-game vs Cubs
Wednesday-gane vs Cubs
Thursday-another off day
Fri through Sat-series vs Reds

And another off day next week. Who's idea was it to put three off days in the first two weeks and two of them in the first five days? So dumb.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Chipper Jones on MLB Network, talking hitting while wearing an ugly jacket.

https://twitter.com/MLBNetwork/status/849214990665998336

Sunday-game vs Cubs
Monday-off day
Tuesday-game vs Cubs
Wednesday-gane vs Cubs
Thursday-another off day

And another off day next week. Who's idea was it to put three off days in the first two weeks and two of them in the first five days? So dumb.
yeah looks like other clubs have something similar.

Beckx

A writer on my twitter feed had an interesting take on Ohtani. Forget this "Japanese Babe Ruth" nonsense b/c Babe Ruth stopped pitching and that was fucking forever ago. Better comp is this: what if Joc Peterson could throw 103 and had a curve & a nasty forkball?

Sunday-game vs Cubs
Monday-off day
Tuesday-game vs Cubs
Wednesday-gane vs Cubs
Thursday-another off day

Look they don't want people getting burned out on baseball you know? Better for everyone to forget about the sport entirely from Apr through October before realizing how many consecutive games there are.

TankRizzo

Banned
finally moved to Albuquerque and get to see real baseball now. Opening day is on Thursday..should I catch the whole weekend homestand or go Thursday, Saturday and maybe the afternoon game on sunday?

Sunday-game vs Cubs
Monday-off day
Tuesday-game vs Cubs
Wednesday-gane vs Cubs
Thursday-another off day

Last year the Mets played the Sunday Night Opener, followed by an off-day on Monday, Game 2 of the season on Tuesday followed by two scheduled off-days on Wednesday and Thursday. It was absolutely awful for the die-hard baseball fan.

The off-day after Opening Day is just in case of rain, etc in potential bad weather cities without a retractable roof/dome generally from Baltimore-to-Colorado (Texas and out west don't do it).

A writer on my twitter feed had an interesting take on Ohtani. Forget this "Japanese Babe Ruth" nonsense b/c Babe Ruth stopped pitching and that was fucking forever ago. Better comp is this: what if Joc Peterson could throw 103 and had a curve & a nasty forkball?

Wait, the writer was taking offense at a comparison to Babe Ruth? As though because it was so long ago that the comparison is a negative one?

The writer thinks it's more complimentary to Ohtani to compare him to Joc f'in Pederson?

WHAT?

Wait, the writer was taking offense at a comparison to Babe Ruth? As though because it was so long ago that the comparison is a negative one?

The writer thinks it's more complimentary to Ohtani to compare him to Joc f'in Pederson?

WHAT?

I took it to mean that Ohtani could be a Pederson-like offensive player. The Ruth "stopped pitching" thing is just in relation to Ohtani having no plans to stop pitching, I guess.

Seth Lugo has a slight UCL tear.

That depth be dwindlin.'

Vin Scully spent opening day getting his car washed and buying stuff for moths.

A national treasure we'll never see the likes of again.

“Today I was engaged in that other national pastime, paying bills,’’ Scully said with a laugh. “Then I went to the post office to mail them, and now I’m just leaving the carwash.’’

Opening day at the carwash?

“Some people did stop me and say it was strange to see me,’’ he said. “I told them I agree.’’

So was he headed home to at least watch the end of the game?

“I have to go to the hardware store to pick up some anti-moth product,” Scully said. “I’m not sure if I’ll get home in time to see it. Who’s winning?’’

He was told the Dodgers. He was asked if he was happy.

“Sure I am,’’ he said. “I’ve got a really clean car.’’

He then added, more seriously, that spending the afternoon living a normal life with his beloved wife Sandi was, for him, the perfect opening day.

“I’m aware that I’m not where I’ve been for about 60,000 years,’’ he said. “But I’m just where I want to be.’’

I took it to mean that Ohtani could be a Pederson-like offensive player. The Ruth "stopped pitching" thing is just in relation to Ohtani having no plans to stop pitching, I guess.

Still, I'm baffled.

Beckx

WHAT?

no, I'm the one that thinks the Babe Ruth thing is nonsense because no one remembers Babe Ruth the pitcher and it's become this weird throwaway line to talk about him.

Correct, he's a fair offensive comp for the everyday hitting abilities of a pitcher who throws 103. I haven't dug into the comp, but it's way more interesting to me to get into real comps for him at both of the things he does. Babe Ruth is not a comp for either of his roles.

Oh man I was literally about to plunk that cash down for MLB.tv before I called up my Dad to ask if he wanted to go halfsies on the cost. He asks if this service is different from the MLB Extra Innings (DirecTV) package he just purchased. So I researched if MLB Extra Innings had some online component and it turns out MLB.tv is included with it for free. Yaaassss thanks Dad!

It's been a good day. :D

Beckx

I can't.

Who is no one?

What?

you're standing at a crossroads

in one direction there is the "who remembers Babe Ruth the pitcher conversation". in the other direction there is the "what are the actual comps for Shohei Ohtani conversation". You should know before picking your path that I'm completely disinterested in arguing about that first one.

you're standing at a crossroads

in one direction there is the "who remembers Babe Ruth the pitcher conversation". in the other direction there is the "what are the actual comps for Shohei Ohtani conversation". You should know before picking your path that I'm completely disinterested in arguing about that first one.

This has been an amazing exchange.

So you're saying that Otani is just a couple wins better per year than the average major league hitter with a 119 OPS+. And probably worth a win or two as a 10.9 SO9 pitcher?

You're saying Otani should be looked at like somewhere around a 3 to 6 WAR complete player?

Are you implying that he's nowhere near as good as someone like Ruth?

Like, I'm not trying to argue with you on this point, I just have no comprehension at all of the point you're trying to make.

Well I didn't get to watch a lot of the Phillies yesterday but I'm glad to hear the results. Hopefully they turn this into a more enjoyable season.

zulux21

Ah there you are.

You were saying?

saying what... that quintana is not having a good start and due to that his trade value lets say went from 99 to 98.9 :p

any given pitcher has bad starts from time to time.

Tigers always murder the white sox early in the season lol.

I am actually more surprised on how much the white sox have made verlander work.

Beckx

Huh. (Ya'll probably knew this but) Velocity reporting will be different this year b/c the data is now Statcast instead of PITCHF/x:

While PITCHF/x velocity numbers were reported at a defined point along each pitch’s trajectory — usually at the 55 foot mark — so that velocity didn’t have to be calculated at every x/y point along the pitch’s path, Statcast outputs the highest velocity that Trackman records along the flight of the pitch, which, due to physics, is going to be immediately after the ball leaves the pitcher’s hand.

Apparently the result is that velocity measurements will be up by about 1 mph across the board.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/about-all-these-velocity-spikes/

http://www.bucsdugout.com/2017/4/4/15181526/this-was-not-the-gerrit-cole-we-expected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom