• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2017 Regular Season OT - 108 years in the making

Status
Not open for further replies.
i thought this was put to rest after seeing how miller and chapman were used in the postseason. they paid a steep price, and probably more than i was comfortable with, but it wasn't some huge overpay. those super elite bullpen arms that can go multiple innings and miss bats in key games are extremely valuable, and chapman is historically dominant. they had an excellent team with the bullpen being the one clear weakness, so i don't blame theo for overpaying a little to make sure an amazing season wasn't wasted by a bad bullpen.

It was a huge overpay. Torres alone probably would've been an overpay, let alone sending Warren back and the other prospects. It sort of worked out I guess, although Chapman tried his hardest to make sure that it didn't work out with his three blown saves in the postseason.

Wonder if people's view of the trade would be an different if the Cubs offense didn't bail him out on numerous occasions.

It's fine, you guys got a ring, but that doesn't mean the trade wasn't an overpay. It's pretty widely recognized as being one and trades since then have made that clear.

It was a huge overpay. Torres alone probably would've been an overpay, let alone sending Warren back and the other prospects. It sort of worked out I guess, although Chapman tried his hardest to make sure that it didn't work out with his three blown saves in the postseason.

Wonder if people's view of the trade would be an different if the Cubs offense didn't bail him out on numerous occasions.

It's fine, you guys got a ring, but that doesn't mean the trade wasn't an overpay. It's pretty widely recognized as that - and from trades for other relievers since then that is clear.

Difference a year makes, buyers market v sellers market.

So wish we had sold high on Reed and Familia last year.

It's fine, you guys got a ring, but that doesn't mean the trade wasn't an overpay. It's pretty widely recognized as being one and trades since then have made that clear.

haha why do i even try to reason with you

gamz

Sorry man, there's not a Cubs fan alive that thinks it's a overpay. They freaking won a WS and we didn't have a closer. So they went out and got the best. The FO did what they had to do. Yeah, he was gassed at the end and Maddon used the helluva out of him the minute they got him....whatever...

BigAT

Sorry man, there's not a Cubs fan alive that thinks it's a overpay. They freaking won a WS and we didn't have a closer. So they went out and got the best. The FO did what they had to do. Yeah, he was gassed at the end and Maddon used the helluva out of him the minute they got him whatever...

It can be both an overpay and worth it for an organization. They aren't mutually exclusive.

Whoa. For some reason I can't stream games via the MLB app any more. It doesn't have the option for U-Verse...Just Direct TV and some random cable company.

Difference a year makes, buyers market v sellers market.

So wish we had sold high on Reed and Familia last year.

That and there's no GM desperate to break a curse anymore.

The Chapman trade gave everyone the wrong idea of what rental relievers are worth. They really don't have much value - most of the value relievers are generating today are because of years of control (see: Miller, Kahnle, etc).

Sorry man, there's not a Cubs fan alive that thinks it's a overpay. They freaking won a WS and we didn't have a closer. So they went out and got the best. The FO did what they had to do. Yeah, he was gassed at the end and Maddon used the helluva out of him the minute they got him....whatever...

I don't expect Cubs fans to be the most impartial in this case. Like I said, great, you guys got a ring. You still overpaid and that's a widely accepted opinion (unless you're a Cubs fan, evidently). You can be both happy at the fact that you won the ring and acknowledge that Theo overpaid for two months of a reliever, even if that reliever is elite.

The Chapman trade gave everyone the wrong idea of what rental relievers are worth. They really don't have much value - most of the value relievers are generating today are because of years of control (see: Miller, Kahnle, etc).

I don't expect Cubs fans to be the most impartial in this case. Like I said, great, you guys got a ring. You still overpaid and that's a widely accepted opinion (unless you're a Cubs fan, evidently). You can be both happy at the fact that you won the ring and acknowledge that Theo paid a lot for two months of a reliever, even if that reliever is elite.

but the cardinals fan known for obsessing over the cubs is totally impartial

gamz

Chapman was a special case and special closer. Cubs gave up whatever farm was left this year and they just won a ring last year. Are they desperate to break a curse again? You sound like a sour as hell Cards fan.

Malo

Banned
The Mets vastly overpaid for 3 months of Cespedes.
Fulmer, degrom and a healthy Thor? Whew

As for if the Chapman deal was an overpay? It probably was, but they won a championship and Torres was blocked in Chicago. It was worth it for the cubs, and the Yanks gladly appreciate getting Torres, and having Warren back.

Tall4Life

Late but Sale wearing a shirt that said "PED Free All Me" is laughable considering he's the least likely suspect of using PEDs, he's skinnier than a fucking plank of wood

but the cardinals fan known for obsessing over the cubs is totally impartial

As if I'm the only one with this opinion :lol

It was an overpay and one that worked out for the most part! Not sure why you all are so defensive about it. Like I said, you can be happy you won a ring and acknowledge that Theo overpaid to get two months of Chapman. At the same time!

If the Chapman trade set the market for rental relievers, we would've seen way more rental relievers bring back more value than they have been. The Chapman trade was the outlier.

As if I'm the only one with this opinion :lol

It was an overpay and one that worked out for the most part! Not sure why you all are so defensive about it. Like I said, you can be happy you won a ring and acknowledge that Theo overpaid to get two months of Chapman. At the same time!

If the Chapman trade set the market for rental relievers, we would've seen way more rental relievers bring back more value than they have been. The Chapman trade was the outlier.

oh yeah, i forgot about all those chapman level relievers traded in the last year

If you think the difference between Chapman and, say, Addison Reed (for example - could use Neshek, etc) is equal to the difference in value between the returns for each, then :lol

that's such a dumb way to look at it. chapman is a different animal than addison reed. i love how your arguments always slowly devolve into desperate nonsense

bummed out that the cardinals stayed in no-man's land today, huh? cheer up

that's such a dumb way to look at it. chapman is a different animal than addison reed. i love how your arguments always slowly devolve into desperate nonsense

bummed out that the cardinals stayed in no-man's land today, huh? cheer up

It's dumb to compare the difference in value between Reed and Chapman and the value of the packages each returned? That seems like one of the best ways to compare trades to me.

Unless you think Chapman's value goes far far far beyond Reed's (or other rental reliever, whatever). In which case, you're just wrong.

It's dumb to compare the difference in value between Reed and Chapman and the value of the packages each returned? That seems like one of the best ways to compare trades to me.

just to clarify, your two arguments are "everyone agrees with me" and "let's compare the returns for incomparable players traded to teams in different situations"

really though, i could just post a picture of theo laughing and that would end it

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
QQqGxgE.png

just to clarify, your two arguments are "everyone agrees with me" and "let's compare the returns for incomparable players traded to teams in different situations"

really though, i could just post a picture of theo laughing and that would end it

No, you don't compare the returns for each player - you compare the value of each return relative to the value of the player traded. Based on things like projected wins, postseason value, salary, cost of WAR, etc.

Big difference. Not really surprised you misinterpreted my argument, though.

BFIB

The Cubs overpaid for Chapman in everyone's eyes except the Cubs. It was a huge piece for them winning the WS.

3N16MA

Banned
Not a good outing by Sevy, considering Mont game them 2+ yesterday.

Judge needs to just relax. I think the fact that he slumped last year is getting into his head now. It starts by going to right field a bit.

Yeah, he has been pulling a lot of pitches lately. Hopefully he gets out of his funk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom