• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2017 Regular Season OT - 108 years in the making

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malo

Banned
it's a rental and darvish has injury concerns, what were you expecting they get?

i mean, it's a move the dodgers kind of had to make with the state of their rotation, but they didn't exactly steal him.

also this is not the nba. the dodgers will still have less than a 25% chance of winning the world series when the postseason starts
A top 50 prospect. And I was being half serious about the warriors comp.

Yankees got more for Chapman than what the rangers for Darvish. That is wild to me.

A top 50 prospect.

Yankees got more for Chapman than what the rangers for Darvish. That is wild to me.

because the "ride a dominant reliever in the playoffs for multiple innings" train is at full speed right now. you haven't been paying attention if you thought darvish was getting a top 50 prospect

zulux21

elite closers without a history of injury are worth more than at best number 2 starters with an injury history when renting them for 2 months?

beyond that chicago really overpaid for chapman, though it worked out well for both teams anyways.

3N16MA

Banned
Darvish pitched like a good #2 for the first 3 months of the season. He hasn't fallen badly since then.

Good news for the Dodgers is that he is much better away from Arlington this season and throughout his career July seems to be his big down month.

Chris R

Chris has a hate boner for the Astros for some reason.

It's only a hate boner because you are in the AL West. If the Mariners aren't winning the WS, then nobody from the AL West should.

Ain't got a problem at all with the A's, Angels and Rangers this year <3

I think he likes getting tortured by the Mariners and Avalanche.

At least the Avs have done something in my lifetime :(

3N16MA

Banned

Chapman was considered one of the best if not the best closer from 12-16 and still elite. Yanks were going to score no matter who they traded him to.

Darvish is currently not what he was.

jbug617

Banned
Trader Dave talks about the Yankees moves
DGF7F41W0AIE8-a.jpg

Can't wait to see him on the bench.

Yeah, will Terry play him everyday or will he look to get the vets playing time? it's hard to believe that I actually do not know the answer to this.

Smith should be up with him as I think it would take a bit of pressure off both of them if they arrived at the same time given their familiarity.

Choomp

Banned
Yeah, will Terry play him everyday or will he look to get the vets playing time? it's hard to believe that I actually do not know the answer to this.

Smith should be up with him as I think it would take a bit of pressure off both of them if they arrived at the same time given their familiarity.

It sounds like Cabrera, Reyes and Walker will be moving around the diamond with Rosario mainly at SS. I do look forward to seeing everyone's reaction when he gets a normal day off though lol

Smith apparently will be up shortly, just not tomorrow

It sounds like Cabrera, Reyes and Walker will be moving around the diamond with Rosario mainly at SS. I do look forward to seeing everyone's reaction when he gets a normal day off though lol

Amed Rosario will debut tomorrow, Dom Smith "not far behind"

Finally

Yep, just heard it, about time.

Also need to see Nimmo get more playing time. Also thank god we never traded for Lucroy...

Well, yeah a normal day-off is expected and necessary but not 2-3 days a week. We'll see...

I'm just glad he's coming up. Baby steps...

Also need to see Nimmo get more playing time. Also thank god we never traded for Lucroy...

I'm certainly not opposed to it but I don't think that's happening with both Granderson and Bruce on the team. Even then I've always felt they view him as a bench/4th outfielder type who can fill-in for 2 weeks if a guy gets injured but will be exposed with long-term play.

Speaking of Lucroy, the Mets definitely need to go in another direction at the catcher position for 2018.

clav

The comments in a video of this is saying he was mistranslated?

I think more like comments didn't like the video caption. People are relying on the translator's words for "mistranslated."

From the pieces I understand, Aoki clearly says although trade is a too bad situation he thinks he will need to do his best to play for his new team.

Always remembered him in a Brewers uniform. Speedy guy although not much power.

Meh I feel like until recently all he's done is hit into double plays.

He's not really a HR hitter, so your analysis is not completely wrong. ISO is below MLB average.

Malo

Banned
Katie Sharp

Yankees add Todd Frazier, David Robertson, Tommy Kahnle, Jaime Garcia, Sonny Gray ....
and give up only 1 top-50 prospect (B. Rutherford)

Shows how deep our system is/was.

Using the Chapman deal as a baseline for what to expect from trades is like using the Shelby Miller ATL->ARI trade - both were extreme overpays

Wonder if Cardinals would've gotten better offers for Lynn if Darvish hadn't been traded at last second. Will take the comp pick and bonus pool money though.

Jinto

So glad Darvish ended up on the Dodgers.

His numbers are inflated this year mostly due to 2 horrible starts in July where he gave up 17 runs in 8 innings. He's also uncharacteristically struggled at Globe Life Park this year. His numbers on the road are still elite.

clav

Speaking of bad numbers, does anyone think Kevin Gausman has fixed his throwing problems?

He looks intriguing for the past starts.

Using the Chapman deal as a baseline for what to expect from trades is like using the Shelby Miller ATL->ARI trade - both were extreme overpays

i thought this was put to rest after seeing how miller and chapman were used in the postseason. they paid a steep price, and probably more than i was comfortable with, but it wasn't some huge overpay. those super elite bullpen arms that can go multiple innings and miss bats in key games are extremely valuable, and chapman is historically dominant. they had an excellent team with the bullpen being the one clear weakness, so i don't blame theo for overpaying a little to make sure an amazing season wasn't wasted by a bad bullpen.

RBH

I was hoping the Braves would trade Brandon Phillips so that Ozzie Albies could be called up sooner rather than later

i thought this was put to rest after seeing how miller and chapman were used in the postseason. they paid a steep price, and probably more than i was comfortable with, but it wasn't some huge overpay. those super elite bullpen arms that can go multiple innings and miss bats in key games are extremely valuable, and chapman is historically dominant. they had an excellent team with the bullpen being the one clear weakness, so i don't blame theo for overpaying a little to make sure an amazing season wasn't wasted by a bad bullpen.

It's really not even that.

Last year was a sellers market, this year, those teams that have sellers assets are either in the tank or playoff teams, so it's a buyers year and thus market value is down. Seeing the returns that every team has gotten for assets and the best piece to move is a split between a guy who's had one good month with a bat in AA and a future DH who projects to be slightly above league average who was spare parts to the organization he was traded from.

Kap's only thrown 30 innings? Jeeze thought for sure he at least got more than that.

Being that he'll be 24 before he can even throw a pitch again, yeah.

Deal was Mateo and prayers.

BigAT

Holliday has been such an offensive void since he got sick. It sucks that it was a health issue that was out of his hands, but he really needs to get bumped back in the lineup.

Malo

Banned
Kap's only thrown 30 innings? Jeeze thought for sure he at least got more than that.

Being that he'll be 24 before he can even throw a pitch again, yeah.

Deal was Mateo and prayers.
It's 50 something innings if you count the fall league, but, yeah, that isn't much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom