• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2017 Regular Season OT - 108 years in the making

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Whichever team beats the Dodgers in the postseason I will dedicate my avatar to your team for awhile
with ketchup.

3N16MA

Banned
people think that developing talent from within means hoarding prospects

Who said that? Do you always misinterpret what others say?

Some fans are hard headed and think all prospects should be kept and believe trading away those prospects is trading away a sure thing (the caller). They're far from being sure things.

Yanks have developed from within and have talent on the field to prove it. However dealing two prospects with serious injuries and one who's value is at a high for Gray makes sense. They still have heaps of talent in their system.

Chris R

Hope the Darvish trade blows up in their faces (unless they are playing the Astros for the WS)

Team already so good, why tinker with it.

Who said that? Do you always misinterpret what others say?

Some fans are hard headed and think all prospects should be kept and believe trading away those prospects is trading away a sure thing (the caller). They're far from being sure things.

Yanks have developed from within and have talent on the field to prove it. However dealing two prospects with serious injuries and one who's value is at a high for Gray makes sense. They still have heaps of talent in their system.

dude, i was agreeing with you, lol

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Hope the Darvish trade blows up in their faces (unless they are playing the Astros for the WS)

what the crap is this. Astros never won a world series, not like we're always winning rings or something.

Line_HTX

Golden State Dodgers.

Kappa

Come on, Chris. Don't be like this. Why the fuck are you hating on completely rebuilding the farm system from the ground up?

McCullers to the DL and Verdugo is not in the Darvish trade.

Last 5 starts and Lance never looked right. He's gotten worse and worse to where he's killing the bullpen bigtime.

Malo

Banned
Willie Calhoun to the rangers, two more minor leaguers going along with him.

Edit: Jeff Passan

Rangers' return for Darvish is Willie Calhoun, A.J. Alexy and Brendon Davis.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
So the best bat traded at the deadline was...Alex Avila? That says a lot about how offense is valued. Teams feel they can get bats anywhere.

JD Martinez was traded 2 weeks ago. There were other guys already moved this week like Duda. If a team is looking to make a move to get into the playoffs it makes no sense to actually wait till the 31st to get a deal done if you can get it done before it.

zulux21

The Rays have traded infielder Tim Beckham to the Orioles, reports Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times (on Twitter). Minor league right-hander Tobias Myers goes to the Rays in return, Topkin further tweets.

I don't get this trade for the rays.... why would you salary dump a player making 800k with a lot of potential upside o_O

Looks like Calhoun is the main piece in the Darvish trade. So the Dodgers essentially flipped Calhoun (who can't play in the NL) for the luxury of upgrading from Ryu/Maeda to Yu Darvish for the rest of the reg season and postseason. And people are questioning the move?

Really? If so then I'm and idiot for misinterpreting your post.

i was basically just echoing what you said. prospect creep is out of control right now. everyone thinks that all of their top 100 prospects are going to be the next kris bryant or corey seager. good front offices develop talent but also know how to capitalize on potential by using it to get proven major league talent. it's a balance, but so many people think it's all or nothing.

Malo

Banned
Looks like Calhoun is the main piece in the Darvish trade. So the Dodgers essentially flipped Calhoun (who can't play in the NL) for the luxury of upgrading from Ryu/Maeda to Yu Darvish for the rest of the reg season and postseason. And people are questioning the move?
Who's questioning it? That's a light return for Darvish. Doyers out here looking like the Warriors of MLB.

Only got rid of Smith and Liriano?

Huh. I figured someone would want to gamble on Estrada as a 4th/5th starter. He's also been excellent in the post-season.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I don't get this trade for the rays.... why would you salary dump a player making 800k with a lot of potential upside o_O

He strikes out in over 30% of his at bats. He has "mental lapses" in the field and on the bases (hes one of the dumbest base runners I have ever seen). His career OBP is under .300.

He does have power though and was finally utilizing it in some kind of productive way. And hes a righty in a lineup full of lefties so dunno. Rays return seems insanely light but I'm not surprised they shipped him out.

zulux21

Who's questioning it? That's a light return for Darvish. Doyers out here looking like the Warriors of MLB.

eh... a top 100 seems like an alright return for a number 3 starter rental.

He strikes out in over 30% of his at bats. He has "mental lapses" in the field and on the bases (hes one of the dumbest base runners I have ever seen). His career OBP is under .300.

He does have power though and was finally utilizing it in some kind of productive way. And hes a righty in a lineup full of lefties so dunno. Rays return seems insanely light but I'm not surprised they shipped him out.

I am not saying that he was doing great or even good.

I more just don't get how you couldn't at least get an okay player for him. I mean I have to imagine you could have at least gotten someone that had a shot of making the majors some day for him.

I mean there are plenty of AAA prospects that are nobodies in the white sox system I wouldn't have minded see them trade for him just to see if they could fix him to trade again next year. I am just surprised no one offered more than a throw away player.

3N16MA

Banned
i was basically just echoing what you said. prospect creep is out of control right now. everyone thinks that all of their top 100 prospects are going to be the next kris bryant or corey seager. good front offices develop talent but also know how to capitalize on potential by using it to get proven major league talent. it's a balance, but so many people think it's all or nothing.

You summed it up pretty well.

BFIB

On the one hand, I can't blame Mo for not dealing Lynn, just for the sake of making a move. But, if the goal was to be for the future of the ballclub, then you had other pieces you could have moved. Grichuk, Pham, Lynn, Oh, Rosie to name a few. You mean to tell me out of all of those names, there wasn't anything of value that could deepen our system out and prepare for the offseason?

By doing nothing, I'm accepting that the Cards are packing it in this season. No moves to contend this year, despite us desperately needing a bullpen arm.

Darvish has been very inconsistent over his last 7 starts. ERA has jumped from 3 to 4, and he's not missing bats.

Not even sure this is an upgrade over what the Dodgers already have. This won't stop the Dodgers from winning, but this is a deal done because they could, not because they should.

Jays made a couple of smart deals. Nothing flashy but good and keeps us competitive. Hopefully the injury bug isn't as severe next year.

zulux21

But Darvish isn't a 3?

he hands down isn't a 1 at this point, and given his inconsistencies I wouldn't really consider him a 2 at this point so are you saying he is a 4 or a 5?

not that it will mater to much, he will get hurt in august and that will be it for him for the season.

but i mean... for an inconsistent starter as of late, who is at the most he has pitched since 2014, and has a history of getting hurt. I think a top 100 propsect for a return is completely fair.

it's a rental and darvish has injury concerns, what were you expecting they get?

i mean, it's a move the dodgers kind of had to make with the state of their rotation, but they didn't exactly steal him.

also this is not the nba. the dodgers will still have less than a 25% chance of winning the world series when the postseason starts

Darvish has been very inconsistent over his last 7 starts. ERA has jumped from 3 to 4, and he's not missing bats.

Not even sure this is an upgrade over what the Dodgers already have. This won't stop the Dodgers from winning, but this is a deal done because they could, not because they should.

I wonder if the improvement in pitch framing will be able to significantly help him over the next few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom