• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenix

I know what video this is before I even click it. Gif this shit for when he eventually has his yearly meltdown.

Also, does anybody have any 1st hand experience at the National's ballpark? What do you guys think of it?
Nice, if a little boring. Seemed out of the way compared to the rest of the city. Definitely worth at least one visit.

Nice, if a little boring. Seemed out of the way compared to the rest of the city. Definitely worth at least one visit.

Excellent. I'm going to try to catch a couple of games this year at the beginning of the season. 4 games in April, might be fun! If I move to the city this year, I will try to throw a little support their way.

I've made a pact to see some other ballparks for the first time this season. Wrigley is a definite visit just to see how much of a backwards dump it is compared to the regal confines of Miller Park. May make it down to Busch too since my friends and I are planning a road trip through that area in June. And of course PNC Park, about which I've heard and read nothing but brilliant things.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I know what video this is before I even click it. Gif this shit for when he eventually has his yearly meltdown.

Also, does anybody have any 1st hand experience at the National's ballpark? What do you guys think of it?
good location, the metro goes right to the stadium. The stadium is not much in terms of architecture but you can see the river and the capital. And good seats all around.

And I think the area is starting to grow, last time I went there were a bunch of really nice apartments being built nearby.

eznark

Banned
I've made a pact to see some other ballparks for the first time this season. Wrigley is a definite visit just to see how much of a backwards dump it is compared to the regal confines of Miller Park. May make it down to Busch too since my friends and I are planning a road trip through that area in June. And of course PNC Park, about which I've heard and read nothing but brilliant things.

The best.

Sanjuro

Looks like Manny is heading to Oakland.

Also, an amazing quote comes from Oakland as well...

"If someone feels there's someone better than me, it's hard for me to believe. Unless he's a demigod come down from the heavens, no one is going to outshine me in center field."
- Coco Crisp

Doytch

Pretty much this, besides Rogers already learned from the past, remember when JP spent money like crazy on Vernon Wells, Alex Rios, AJ Burnett, Frank Thomas and other pricey free agents?

Did that lead the Jays anywhere? Nope.

It takes time, and Rogers has shown it has that fat wallet, and if the winning product is there, they will spend money on it.

But yeah, Toronto fans should stop crying a river, the bluebirds will get good, eventually, just don't know when since sports is hella random like that.

I dunno really, Rogers (owners of the Jays) went out and bought a considerable stake in the Toronto Maple Leafs (and AHL affiliate Toronto Marlies), Toronto Raptors, and Toronto FC. Rogers certainly has money to blow like it doesn't give a fuck.
Y'know they didn't buy MLSE just so they could get Platinums and spray champagne on the court, right...? It was and is a good business idea. You only need to look at how much shitty teams like the Padres are getting for their TV deals.

Malo

Banned
Olney:
"Yankees honing in on Burnett decision. Unknown team (not Cle or Pit) brought proposal to NYY yesterday. Pit still could be leader. (more)"

Mystery team will win again.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I kind of hope that the Twins are Mystery Team. Outside of Baker and maybe Liriano, their rotation is going to be ass trash. Plus, Liriano, Pavano, and Marquis are FAs after 2012, and Baker has his last option year in 2013. I'm hoping Nick Blackburn gets "lost" somewhere on a road trip and never pitches for them again.

God. Hoping they can land AJ Burnett to shore up the staff. How far they've fallen.

Malo

Banned
I kind of hope that the Twins are Mystery Team. Outside of Baker and maybe Liriano, their rotation is going to be ass trash. Plus, Liriano, Pavano, and Marquis are FAs after 2012, and Baker has his last option year in 2013. I'm hoping Nick Blackburn gets "lost" somewhere on a road trip and never pitches for them again.

God. Hoping they can land AJ Burnett to shore up the staff. How far they've fallen.
Anytime you can add a guy with a 4.80 FIP the past two seasons you have to do it.

Brinbe

Hooray, according to some ESPN insiders (Bowden/Law/Olney), apparently, we're the team with the sixth brightest future in the MLB in their "future power rankings."

The lowdown
In any other division, Toronto probably would have made the playoffs a couple of times over the past decade, and no team will benefit from the extra wild card as much as the Jays. Of course, they could be in position to win the AL East outright very soon.

Not only do they have arguably baseball's best hitter (Jose Bautista), phenom (Brett Lawrie) and farm system, they have virtually no long-term commitments. They are probably one or two pitchers from winning this division and have the payroll flexibility and trade chips to make it happen. This sleeping giant is almost ready to wake up. -- Buster Olney

The next step
Lawrie will be a fixture in Toronto's lineup for years, but the Jays still will need a big bat to accompany him and Bautista. Toronto should pursue Canadian Joey Votto if he becomes available in a trade or as a free agent. -- Jim Bowden

It's Insider, so I'm not posting everything, but top ten went

1. Rangers
2. Yankees
3. Rays
4. Cardinals
5. Red Sox
7. Angels
8. D-Backs
9. Braves
10. Phillies

So faaaaaantastic. Sixth in all of baseball and still fourth in the division. Goddamn it. Well, at least we're not the Orioles, who were ranked dead last on the list @ 30th.

aFIGurANT

The jays love on here is...cute? Idk how else to put it. Definitely one of the most likeable AL teams but still your division is a clusterfuck for you from now till restructuring (or rapture, w/e comes first) lol.

Saw this early this morning: Kate Upton shows off Finger Mechanics in MLB 2K12 - embed for me someone? Not sure how that works on gaf yet but needed to get that out before those who don't appreciate her and her advertising prowess see it.

1150266_o.gif

djkitty216.jpg

aFIGurANT

No one can save that abomination, especially not your viral marketing.

The girl? Or the game? I thought 2k makes the best baseball game out there that people actually play. And if you're on the upton hate-train then you're not the best source for much in my opinion.

aFIGurANT

Huh well fuck me right??? Where were you guys when everyone was posting vita pics of it and I preordered not just a Vita but the full line of 2k products ranging from 2k.5 to 12? Lol...

Doytch

From today's Klaw chat, and relevant to the Nats park comments earlier:
You gonna make it down to Nats Park this year? They're replacing the fake crap beer garden outside with a Brooklyn-esque market with salvaged shipping containers. They're opening up a Osteria Morini down the road, and its easy to get to a Jose Andres or Michel Richard place before or after a game. Oh yeah, the baseball team might be good with some young talent, too.
Sounds good. I had my issues with the park that I mentioned here when I was there last year, but this sounds like an improvement. Hopefully they'll also rip out the posters/paintings of Mickey friggin Mantle and other non-Natinal/Expos.

edit: Dude, shut up, you're embarrassing yourself.

Macattk15

Hooray, according to some ESPN insiders (Bowden/Law/Olney), apparently, we're the team with the sixth brightest future in the MLB in their "future power rankings."

1. Rangers
2. Yankees
3. Rays
4. Cardinals
5. Red Sox
7. Angels
8. D-Backs
9. Braves
10. Phillies

So faaaaaantastic. Sixth in all of baseball and still fourth in the division. Goddamn it. Well, at least we're not the Orioles, who were ranked dead last on the list @ 30th.

Where were the M's in that list? Somewhere in the teens I would hope.

Doytch

Where were the M's in that list? Somewhere in the teens I would hope.
18th.

The lowdown
Like the A's, the Mariners are well aware that they aren't going to compete with the Rangers and Angels the next couple of years. However, Seattle is very slowly building a future contender.

With Ichiro Suzuki's contract finally set to expire after this season, they have less than $40 million committed for 2013, and even less beyond that. In other words, while young arms such as Danny Hultzen and Taijuan Walker are making their way to the majors, GM Jack Zduriencik should have the cash needed to go shopping for a big-time bat or two to pair with Dustin Ackley and Jesus Montero. -- Buster Olney

The next step
The Mariners' farm system is loaded with pitching prospects. However, outside of Montero, Ackley and Justin Smoak, they are short of position players and must develop more in their system or trade for more. Acquiring Montero was a step in the right direction. -- Jim Bowden

edit: lol eznark

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

1. Rangers
2. Yankees
3. Rays
4. Cardinals
5. Red Sox
7. Angels
8. D-Backs
9. Braves
10. Phillies

haha suck it phillies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom